Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Love Languages





This is one of my favorite songs from Fiddler on the Roof. At first, it seems terribly unromantic. When Tevye asks Golde if she loves him she begins to explain that for 25 years she has washed his clothes, cleaned his house, milked his cows, etc. To some it might sound like the romance is dead. But then she goes on to say that if that’s not love she doesn’t know what is, and that she loves him.

It speaks to me because my love language is Acts of Service. I’m far more likely to do things like laundry and cooking than to say that I love someone. I’m an actions speak (MUCH) louder than words kind of person. 

Nick’s love language is Words of Affirmation. He’s a you need to tell the people that you love how much they mean to you kind of person. This song doesn’t really do it for him.

It’s interesting to read about the different love languages, and it’s very helpful as a couple to know which one your partner is speaking, and how to speak theirs. Different things really do mean very different things and hold different value to different people. 

So what about you? What is your love language? Is it the same as your partner’s?

5 comments:

  1. A lovely song, indeed. My hubby and I are as different as day and night. But it works. Been together 37 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I think I'm a mixture of the two; the Great Scot is much more a 'Do-er' than a 'Say-er'. Whatever it is, it works for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Fiddler. It's so much fun to watch. I think my husband speak the same love language, though from time to time we use different accents.

    Good luck with the A to Z Challenge!
    S. L. Hennessy
    http://pensuasion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we follow the same pattern as you - but we've been together nearly as long as the lady above so it must work for us too! I love Fiddler on the Roof, brings tears to the eyes every time.
    Anabel's Travel Blog
    Adventures of a retired librarian

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just like the Fiddler on the Roof play :) I was just thinking of love languages this morning, LOL. I'm like NIck, I want some word affirmation; I think hubby is more physical touch. I do agree it is good to know each other's love languages.

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.