Thursday, April 9, 2015

Happy Places

The Lodge @ Table Rock
I think most of us have a place (or maybe more than one if we’re lucky) that just makes us happy. Maybe it’s a place that’s soothing or comforting, or a place where nothing but good things have happened, or maybe it’s a place that for some reason just speaks to our soul.

We need happy places. Everyone needs at least one place to go that will put a smile on their face, make them feel at peace, or just make them happy.

These are my happy places:

Folly Beach, SC

Table Rock State Park: I’ve always liked Table Rock, but it’s also where Nick and I got married, and that made me love it. It’s beautiful there, the lodge has a really neat history (built by the Civilian Conservation Corps), and I loved our wedding. I know it sounds a little cliche, but it really was a perfect day. We like to go back, around our anniversary if possible, and take the dogs hiking. I love that the place we got married is a place we can return to over and over again. 

 Folly Beach, South Carolina: This is possibly one of the most beautiful places on earth. Standing on the shore, it just feels like all is right with the world. It’s also just a short drive away from Charleston. I love the laid back atmosphere of Folly Beach and the fact that the beach isn’t crowded. And it’s dog friendly!
Meerkat @ Riverbanks

Riverbanks Zoo & Garden: My earliest memory of going to Riverbanks is when I was five years old. My grandparents lived in Columbia, so we went to the zoo sometimes when we went to see them. They loved being grandparents, so we were incredibly spoiled by them, and they just seemed to take it up a level at the zoo. It’s also where we went on the last visit we had with them before they died, and it was one of those days that you can look back on as being one of the perfect days in life. Now, going to the zoo is something that I get to share with Nick, and I still love it as much as I did when I was a little girl.
Garden @ Riverbanks


Our House: Our house isn’t big or fancy (if we have a style it’s probably best described as informal), but I love it. It’s where we’ve chosen to build our life together, focusing on the people, ideals, and things that matter to us. I’d like to think (hope) that our house is welcoming. Entertaining family and friends at home is something that’s really important to me, and I always want anyone we invite to be comfortable and happy. Our house is also very pet friendly, and we wouldn’t have it any other way since the fur kids are such an important part of our lives. Coming home just feels right and safe; it’s where I want to be at the end of a long day. 

So what about you? What are your happy places?



9 comments:

  1. I like your happy places, and you are so right, everyone needs those happy places! Haven't found one here yet, but I did like where we used to walk Koda where we used to live; nice blend of ocean, grass, etc.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Places that bring joy to a persons life are important, indeed. I'm glad you shared these spots with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My garden...or any garden for that matter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Home! Which is a popular theme for H today, but if away from home, our special happy place is Amsterdam where we honeymooned. We go back every few years.
    Anabel's Travel Blog
    Adventures of a retired librarian

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Maria. Being in almost any garden makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the ocean I guess. When we go to North Carolina, sitting on the pier watching the water is something we both love to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The river across the road from my house makes me happy. When it's not hot weather I love walking around it. I'm sure that river runs through my blood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, nice. Those look lovely.

    Liz A. from Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post. When I was young (age 6-8) we lived in Folly Beach. I will never understand why we move back to WV. I loved it. Now I live in Asheville,NC and it is my happy place.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.