Thursday, April 30, 2015

Zoo Membership

I absolutely love going to the zoo.  Riverbanks Zoo and Gardens in Columbia, SC is my favorite.  I’ve been going there since I was a little kid, and every year Nick and I go on or near my birthday.  The zoo is one of my happy places.

Last year we decided to become members.  We bought a fairly low-level membership since it’s just the two of us.  Basically our membership pass allows us both as many regular visits as we’d like, one visit to the holiday lights, access to any members only events, and six guest passes.  It also gives us a discount (usually half off) if we choose to visit other zoos.  It’s good for one year. 
 
We didn’t go as much as we’d hoped to last year since we had a lot of unusual things going on, but we did go for one Members Night Out event, and we were able to use one of our guest passes when my friend Crystal went with me. 
 
After much discussion we decided to renew our membership at the same level when it expired earlier this month.  We anticipate being able to go a few more times this year, and we really enjoyed the Members Night Out.   
 
I think it will be good since we both love the zoo so much, and it’s a great excuse to go since we don’t want to waste our visits.
 
So what about you?  Do you enjoy visiting the zoo?  Would you sign up for a zoo membership?

13 comments:

  1. I remember feeding elephants peanuts when I was little at the St.Louis Zoo. Don't think they allow that anymore :( But I'd buy a membership if we lived closer to one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I would if the zoo was close to me. However, Toronto zoo is quite a distance and anyway, I could no longer do the walking. Lucky you to be able to go as often as this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Danielle,

    I have fond memories of going to the zoo when I was a little boy. London Zoo is quite the place. Nowadays, I dare not got to the zoo. Last time they tried to put me in a cage :)

    Well done on finishing the alphabet thing,

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoying the zoo as much as you do, of course you had to keep the membership. Maybe you'll use it more. I'm not a big zoo fan, but then again, the really good zoo is a two hour drive (San Diego), so it's not one I think about much. But maybe I should make the trek this summer...

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did have a zoo membership one year when we lived in San Diego and we did use it a few times; at the time it was good for both the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Wild Animal Park (run by the same organization) so we could use it at 2 parks. I did enjoy it; it was fun to go and walk around for a bit and then leave and not feel like you didn't get your money's worth.

    I think it is neat that you bought a membership and then renewed it. Hope you get to use it more this year.

    Congrats on making it through the challenge!! Enjoyed reading your entries :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are no zoos nearby here. But we love them. In fact so much so we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a love hate relationship with zoos. I love the animals but hate seeing them in cages or enclosures. Congratulations on your monumental A-Z effort :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love going to zoos where the animals have lots of room in their enclosures, and lots of stimulation. Having said that, we are lucky to have the Bronx Zoo less than an hour away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Danielle! I'm still wading through the a-z link list and thought I'd pop in for a hello! I check in now and then. We made it through another year! Love the bear relaxing on the rock. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Danielle - yes zoos do do a lot of work for conservation now - and it's good that the animals have more space, and all life can be researched and recorded in the zoo environment. The grounds are usually special too - sounds like a very good membership buy ... enjoy it ..

    I've been way behind with my A-Z and visiting etc ... but needed to do some catching up ... congratulations on finishing .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Danielle - yes zoos do do a lot of work for conservation now - and it's good that the animals have more space, and all life can be researched and recorded in the zoo environment. The grounds are usually special too - sounds like a very good membership buy ... enjoy it ..

    I've been way behind with my A-Z and visiting etc ... but needed to do some catching up ... congratulations on finishing .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello there.
    I haven't been to a zoo in years. Should really make time to go.
    Congratulations on surviving the A-Z Challenge! I didn't get to visit your blog during the crazy month of April so I'm popping over today from the Road Trip.

    Entrepreneurial Goddess

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.