Today is National Dog Day. It’s the first time I’ve heard of it, but I love it. The purpose of National Dog Day is "to honor dogs, and to rescue dogs from homelessness and abuse. It’s an opportunity for us to appreciate the value and importance of dogs in our lives." There’s also a goal of saving 10,000 dogs today. Isn’t that a great day? You can also read a little more about it here if you’re so inclined.
In honor of National Dog Day I thought I'd share some adorable dog pictures with you. Some are of our babies, Emma and Duke, and the rest are dogs from transports or that have been fosters. And since the goal of National Dog Day isn’t just to look at adorable dog pictures, but to help save dogs, here are five quick ways you can help save dogs in need:
1. Opt to adopt instead of buying. Shelters and rescues are full of great puppies and dogs in need of loving homes. Even if you’re looking for a purebred, there’s a huge chance that a rescue or shelter can help you find one.
2. If you’re able to, consider fostering a puppy or dog from your local shelter or rescue. It frees up more space, and can help them learn the people skills they need to be adopted.
3. Make a donation to your local shelter or rescue. It can be monetary, or something as simple as a blanket or a bag of dog food. Everything helps.
4. Drive a leg of a transport. Sometimes all a dog needs to make it to a better life is a ride.
5. Spay and neuter your pets. Also, consider supporting an organization that makes spay and neuter surgeries readily accessible.
And now, enjoy some pictures of some adorable dogs. And feel free to tell us about your dog(s) in the comments. It’s okay to brag about your dog on National Dog Day.