Thursday, September 15, 2022

Thursday 13: A Busy Week

I was hoping to post again before this, but since I didn’t, I decided another Thursday 13 was in order.  It has been a busy week.

1.     Duke has pancreatitis again.  We’re not sure how he keeps getting it.  He had it in April, and we’ve been careful about not giving him too much people food since then.  We took him to the vet on Tuesday, and Dr. M. wanted to hospitalize him.  We’re hoping he’ll be able to come home tomorrow.  He’s eating again (always a good sign with Duke) but still has a fever. 

 

They sent us this picture of him today.  He likes everyone there, so he's happy.

2.     Dr. D. had us bring Howard in on Saturday morning and show her exactly how we were giving him his insulin injections.  Given Nick’s EMT background, no one was really expecting an issue with how Howard has been getting his shots.  Howard’s insulin dose was due before the appointment time, so Dr. D. had Nick demonstrate with our syringes and a bottle of saline. 

3.     Everything was right.  I bought the right needles, and Nick has been doing the injections perfectly.  I didn’t demonstrate (Yay!) since Nick does most of them, and I do exactly what he does. 

4.     Howard went to the emergency vet last night.  He started having severe gastrointestinal issues, and I called in case it was something to do with his insulin.  We were there for about three hours, and they gave Howard fluids and antibiotics and did bloodwork.  His glucose level was finally good!

5.     I really liked the vet we saw.  It’s always a gamble at the emergency clinic; most of the time, they’re great, but it seems like when they’re bad, they’re really, really bad.  This vet was awesome, though.  I hope we don’t need to see her again, but I’d be happy with any of the fur kids seeing her when we do need an emergency vet.

6.     I mentioned Duke’s pancreatitis to the emergency vet, in case it was related to what Howard had.  She said it most likely wasn’t and was just terrible timing.  I talked to Duke’s vet (Dr. M.) this morning and Howard’s regular vet, Dr. D., and they both agree that it’s only a coincidence that Howard and Duke are similarly sick at the same time.  Dr. D. was thrilled about Howard’s glucose when she got the report from the emergency vet.  He has an appointment with her next week to check it again, and we’re all hoping the level stays where it is.

7.     I hate that Duke and Howard are both sick, but I’m relieved that we don’t need to worry about the other five cats having the same problem.  That would be a lot to deal with!

8.     In non-vet visit news, I’m going to try to make my sister a crocheted cat couch for Christmas.  She doesn’t read my blog, so I’m not worried about her finding out.  She has been asking for one for two years now, but I’ve been scared to try it.  There weren’t any left-handed videos, but Crochet Crowd posted one recently, and I’ve been practicing the stitches.


9.     It only has three different stitches; single crochet, double crochet, and half double crochet.  I used the half-double for most of the mask adapters I made, so I’m pretty comfortable with that one.  I think I’m getting better at the single and double.

10.  I like the UK crochet terms better than the US crochet terms.  The UK terms seem to make more sense for what you’re doing.  I like the videos from this website, and she gives you the UK and US terms, so it works for me to learn from a UK site. 

11.  I ordered the yarn I’m planning to use, and it arrived this week.  I really like the gray and rainbow yarn in the pattern, but that yarn was more expensive, and I’m not sure my first attempt will be gift-worthy, so I opted for the less expensive yarn.  The gray is for the couch.  The multi-colored one is called Fiesta, and it’s for the afghan and the dust ruffle. 

 




12.  We bought the foam on Saturday after we got back from taking Howard to the vet.  Nick will be in charge of building the couch.  I’m terrible at things like that, and he says the pattern/building instructions make sense to him.  I’m sure the couch will take me a while, so I’m hoping to get started on it this weekend, assuming we manage to stay out of vet’s offices.

13.  We have cherry tomatoes again.  We’re pretty sure 2016 was the last year we planted cherry tomatoes, but we have some come back every year.  I think they should be called something other than cherry tomatoes.  Maybe immortal tomatoes would be a good name for them.



So what have you been up to this week?  

12 comments:

  1. That cat couch looks darling. If I had a cat...

    Sorry your doggos are sick. I hope they feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your pups are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope all the time with the vets does the trick for the pups and they are better soon.

    We’ve had lots of time with the grandkids this week and time has flown! Isn’t that always the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That crocheted cat house sure looks cute!! Lots of work though! Hard to believe Christmas is literally around the corner, especially if one wants to make homemade gifts! Sorry about Howard and Duke having health problems this past week. Hope it doesn't come in threes with one of the others getting some illness. Great news that the insulin shots were given the right way! But I had no doubt about it with Nick's background :)

    We're starting to cool down here. It is actually pleasant outside. We made it through another summer and now we get to reap the rewards of doing so :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope all goes well for your sick fur kids. I have repeated attacks of pancreatitis so I know how it is! All the best, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about all the vet visits and the hospitalising, that's a lot to deal with on top of the usual everyday business. You're doing well with the cherry tomatoes - they just won't give up!
    A very mundane week here. Two grand old houses opposite us have been demolished, to be replaced by four large detached houses. No doubt a nice fat profit for someone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must be exhausted from worry and all of the trips to the vets with your cats. I hope they are doing better. And I agree with everyone else, that cat couch is great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww, that’s a lot of vet visits and pet problems. I hope they are on the mend. That cat couch is hilarious! I love it! The yarn you chose is really pretty. My grandma crocheted a lot, but I never took an interest in it, unfortunately. I might have, if I knew you could make things like cat couches. I’d have been interested in a Barbie loveseat. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No wonder you hadn't posted. That's a lot of vet visits! I hope the dogs are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You are having a time as a fur mom, aren't you? I've been there and now how incredibly stressful that can be. I hope you get respite from vet trips, and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you show us the cat couch before handing it to your sis!
    Sorry you've had to be at the vet's so much this week. Hope things calm down for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry that Duke and Howard are both sick at the same time. Sending you all purrs and hugs, and haling thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.