Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Thanksgiving Menu Ideas

You may have noticed by now that I love Thanksgiving, and get really excited about it.  It’s a holiday all about cooking for and spending time with the people you love.  What’s not to love about it?

Sometimes, though, searching for good recipes can be a little overwhelming, so I thought I’d share links for some of my favorites.  Some of them are my recipes, and some are from other places. 

Obviously, the turkey is the main part of the traditional meal, so here’s my turkey recipe: 

Practically Fool-Proof Turkey



And you can read about my various misadventures with turkey here, in case you’d like a guide for what not to do. 

Some might argue that the side dishes are the most important part of the meal.  Here are a few of our favorites:

Green Bean Casserole.  I can’t stand this one, but Nick loves it, and I think it’s one that most people have come to expect at Thanksgiving.

Creamy Slow Cooker Macaroni & Cheese.  It’s creamy, delicious, and incredibly easy to make.  It’s also very helpful that it’s made in the Crock Pot since that frees up more oven space. 


Heavenly Mashed Potatoes.  This link is actually to The New Southern Garden Cookbook by Sheri Castle.  I don’t feel right posting a recipe if the author hasn’t made it available online.  I highly recommend this cookbook.  It has lots of great recipes, but it’s worth having for the mashed potatoes alone.  I didn’t think I liked mashed potatoes very much until I tried this recipe.  They are out of this world good, which I suppose is why she named the recipe Heavenly Mashed Potatoes.

Kale Salad With Red Grapes.  Don’t let the fact that this sounds fairly healthy turn you off.  It’s delicious! 

Watergate Salad.  I think is technically a dessert, but it does have salad in the name, so classify it however you want.  No judgment here.

Speaking of desserts, it just wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without them.

Pumpkin Pie.  It’s probably the most traditional Thanksgiving dessert.  It’s also one of my favorites.


Cherry Crunch.  This was a surprisingly big hit last year at Thanksgiving, so I’ll be making it again. 



Apple Crisp.  This is delicious and easy.  Perfect for a day when there’s already a lot of cooking and baking going on.



Fresh Apple Cake.  This cake is amazingly delicious, and just seems like the ultimate dessert for Fall.  The link mentions cream cheese frosting, but don’t do that.  You’ll want to use the Browned Butter Frosting.  Trust me!

Browned Butter Frosting.  This is the end all, be all of frosting.  If you’ve never had browned butter frosting, do yourself a favor, and make it.  Right now!  It’s amazingly good!  It’s rich, creamy, decadent, has a slightly nutty flavor, and pairs perfectly with the apple cake.  

Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Cake & Frosting.  I can’t personally vouch for this one, since I don’t like chocolate.  I can tell you, however, that everyone seems to love it.  I make this cake (or the cupcakes) several times a year, and it’s always very popular.  

Apple Cake & Browned Butter Frosting on Back Left

Banana Pound Cake.  It may not be a very traditional Thanksgiving dessert, but it’s still delicious, and always a crowd pleaser.


So what about you?  What are your favorite Thanksgiving recipes?  Is there a certain dish that’s always on your Thanksgiving menu? 

9 comments:

  1. https://pin.it/dlid3udlxyhesn

    I hope that link works for the crock pot stuffing recipe. I will come back later to look at all your links!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved looking at all your recipes. My husband does our turkey so I will mention the white wine idea to him. Do you use a dry or sweet wine? I'm with you on that green bean casserole. I prefer my recipe with bacon and vinegar. My mom always made the Watergate salad and I enjoyed it as a kid. That kale salad recipe sounds amazing and I just bought that exact kale mix at TJ a few hours ago!!! I will try it out this week!

      Delete
    2. I use a dry wine. That's usually what I have on hand, since I tend to drink the sweeter ones.

      Delete
  2. We were just invited to Rick's cousin's for TG. He'll bring bread but seeing "apple cake" reminded me I have a favorite recipe for it and the season is just right. I'll miss my own stuffing but maybe better I don't make it -- I can't stop eating it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness. I'm coming to your house for dinner! That chocolate cake sounds heavenly! I am going to look into that recipe you shared about the macaroni and cheese in the crock pot. Always looking for simple recipes to make.

    We pretty much wing it on Thanksgiving these days. Even growing up we had traditions but not a lot of recipes my mom used. Just stuff passed down by her mom to her and then I pretty much did the same :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Macaroni and cheese for Thanksgiving? We've never done that. I had an issue with mac & cheese a bit ago, and I can no longer stomach it. It's weird as I loved it before.

    We'd have the turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing (my mother has an old recipe that starts with toasting 50 slices of bread, half wheat and half white), and yams. There would be a vegetable of some sort, but not green bean casserole (I am now a fan, but we never had it when I was growing up). And the cranberry jelly. Oh, and rolls. That was about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is some menu, Danielle! As long as we have stuffing, mashed potatoes, turkey and cranberry, everything else is gravy. Oh, and don't forget the gravy. Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Thanksgiving too! Canadian Thanksgiving already happened so this post is making me wish for another one...maybe I will start celebrating US Thanksgiving as well haha. I am always in charge of making cranberry sauce. My grandma always made a marshmallow salad when we were kids and we all still ask for it this day. I have seen it called Ambrosia salad also.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.