Thursday, November 8, 2018

Throw Back Thursday - Nutmeg Graters

Like the teapots from a few weeks ago, these are pictures from last year’s visit to The Charleston Museum.



It’s always interesting to me to learn about what was popular to serve guests during certain time periods.  Apparently nutmeg graters were quite the thing back then.  

I can’t help wondering how much nutmeg they were adding to their food.  Nutmeg certainly enhances some recipes, but a little goes a long way.  

It kind of makes you wonder what people might have to say about avocado toast in about 200 years.  

9 comments:

  1. Only had it in egg nog, at least to my knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i use alot of nutmeg in my thanksgiving cooking. pies, stuffing, turkey, etc. interesting to see all the graters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are pretty. I do like nutmeg -- but you're right. A little goes a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating. Nutmeg to me is eggnog and perhaps in a pie, but can't see it on too many other dishes. But then again, whoever thought avocado toast would be a "hit."

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea! I've only heard about the little salt cellars. I enjoy learning about cultural history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been a big nutmeg fan, but then again, it's usually in dishes I'm not fond of, so it might be the dishes and not the nutmeg.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having one's own nutmeg grater? That would definitely be an elitist item.

    Like others, I find little use for nutmeg. There has been a container of nutmeg in the cooking spices for a few years now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never use a nutmeg grater, always the powder but my MIL does!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's amusing how certain things become fashionable, and are seen as having all sorts of miraculous properties. A bit like today's hemp seed and goji berries.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.