Thursday, April 21, 2022

Recipes

Since I love to cook and the cooking theme that some bloggers are doing for the A to Z Challenge has recipes on my mind, I thought it might be fun to talk about recipes for my R post. 


It seems that most people either follow a recipe exactly, or they view it as more of an inspiration or a very loose guideline.  Which one are you?

I tend to follow recipes exactly when it comes to baking and view them as more of an inspiration or very loose guideline when it comes to cooking.  I’ve heard people say that cooking is an art and baking is a science.  I don’t think I’m an artist, but I know for sure that I’m no scientist.  I can usually troubleshoot cooking recipes (though there are some that are beyond help).  I can’t troubleshoot a baking recipe.  If it seems fixable, I ask Nick’s mom.  Otherwise, I move on to another recipe. 


I do think I’m fairly good at judging whether or not a recipe will be good.  When it comes to baking, it seems like buttermilk and/or lots of eggs are usually a good sign.  Trying to decide between two different recipes for the same kind of cake?  Go with the one that has more eggs. 

I’m a lot more adventurous when it comes to cooking.  I come up with a lot of ideas on my own.  Some are great!  Some are terrible.  If you’ve ever wondered if sloppy joe pasta is a good idea, I’m here to tell you that it definitely is not.  Fortunately, Nick is very patient with my cooking experiments, and the good ones far outnumber the bad ones.


When I’m not concocting my own recipes, some of my favorite sources are old cookbooks.  It seems like the fundraiser (usually for a church or some kind of charity) cookbooks have some of the best recipes ever.  Sometimes the comments and notes are kind of cute, too, things like “sure to make your husband smile” or “Herschel’s favorite chicken.”  I like the stories that go with the recipes. 



The only drawback to some of those cookbooks is that they sometimes have instructions like “cook until done,” “bake in a hot oven,” “add a large scoop of …”  I’m usually willing to take a guess when it comes to the cooked ones, but not when it comes to the baked ones. 

I don’t know if anyone even does the fundraiser cookbooks anymore.  I imagine it might be hard to get someone to buy them when there are so many blogs with recipes.  Though, recipes from blogs seem to be very hit or miss.  Some of my tried and true favorites are Good Cheap Eats, Budget Bytes, and The Frugal Girl.  We’ve consistently liked enough of those recipes (and my modifications to them) that I feel confident in trying new ones from them. 


Some tips I’ve learned for avoiding bad recipes are to look at other recipes on the blog/website to see if they sound good or if they sound gross, leave me with some food safety concerns, or sound too good to be true.  Have a recipe for cooking kidney beans in the crockpot?  I’ll pass on all of them from that site.  Food poisoning is something I prefer to keep off the menu, thank you very much.  Have a recipe that promises to take something that takes hours to prepare and have it done in 20 minutes?  I’m probably passing unless you have a very compelling argument for why/how it works.  Seem more focused on keeping the recipes under a certain price point?  I’ll probably pass.  Some things are just more expensive to prepare, and making cheaper substitutions just gets weird.  I’d rather wait and make the real thing.

I also love taking cooking classes.  A local Mediterranean restaurant offers cooking classes, and I’ve learned so much from them.  I had no idea what Tahini was before those classes.  That’s also where I finally learned to make an omelet.  It helps when you’re the most fearless person in the class.  (Cooking class is the only place where I will ever be the bravest person in the room!)  I’m willing to try it anytime they ask for a volunteer, which means I’ve gotten a lot of hands-on instruction. 

They stopped offering cooking classes during COVID but are starting them back up again.  Now I just have to wait for one I haven’t already taken. 

Where do you find recipes, or do you create your own?  Are you a strict recipe follower, or do you make changes? 

10 comments:

  1. I almost did recipes for R, lol :) Great minds think a like! I follow a recipe the first time we make it, then if there are any modifications we think will improve it, etc we jot it down. I get a lot of my recipes online and I've gotten a few from Budget Bytes. In fact I think the recipe we made yesterday, Unstuffed Bell Peppers, was from it. I also get a lot from Diethood and Eating on a Dime. I go for the simplest quickest easiest when it comes to recipes and now that we are entering the summer months we won't use the oven so it will be either grilled or cooked stovetop.

    I bet cooking classes would be fun to take. I haven't as of yet, maybe one day. Hope you find one you will enjoy taking soon!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I modify just about every recipe I make due to our family’s health issues. I’ve even found in baking, I can halve the amount of sugar and use low sodium baking powder and no one knows the difference. I get most of my recipes on Pinterest, but don’t have favorite ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am like Betty in that I try to follow a recipe closely the first time and then see how we like it and what modifications we might want to make. I'm not that into cooking although I think a cooking class would be fun. So far I haven't found any convenient with my schedule or location.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am not that great cook. Some recipes (just cook to live type) i learnt to survive...rest rarely if i feel fascinated then i take traditional recipes from mom or follow some famous sites here in India...baking is science cooking is art i like and agree with that



    Cool how u elaborately explained about recipes ..



    Good day

    Dropping by from a to z "The Pensive"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I HATE "Cook until done." What's done? My recipes are a mix of recommendations from friends, old tried-and-true from mom or others, a few new online things that look good, NYTimes, or from the cookbook collection (which I should use more.) I don't mess with quantities in baking but will often add more vanilla, less salt (I used salted butter) or lemon or orange zest. But with "food" recipes I make it right the first time and then play with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's another blogger who collects those fundraiser cookbooks. She finds them at thrift stores, among other places.

    I have a small number of recipes I use most of the time. I'm a very picky eater, so I find most cookbooks unusable as they'll contain something I will not eat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I try a recipe for the first time, I follow it exactly -- after that, I wing it :-)

    Ronel visiting for the A-Z Challenge My Languishing TBR: R

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are brave to volunteer in the cooking classes. It is a great way to get the experience though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I am a little bit of this, little bit of that cook. It's rare that I follow any recipe exactly. A few times it didn't work in my favor, lol! Usually it's fine though. I find new recipes to try on facebook and tiktok of all places.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm like you, Danielle. I am fortunate that my mom taught me to cook at a young age -- and I was a willing student. I often do change things in a recipe, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.