Monday, April 18, 2022

Ornaments

I know talking about ornaments in April seems a little bit weird, but I never seem to post much around the holidays and the closest thing I seem to have for a theme for the A to Z Challenge this year is “things I meant to post about but haven’t.”  That brings us to ornaments.

Thanksgiving is definitely my favorite holiday, but Christmas is a pretty close second.  And I love Christmas ornaments!  My parents don’t celebrate any holidays, so as an adult, I tend to be a bit enthusiastic about them.  Or like a child in an adult’s body.

I got my first Christmas ornaments when I was 25, and my first Christmas tree when I was 26.  I had moved out and started exchanging Christmas gifts with co-workers and friends before then, but never got a Christmas tree when I lived alone.  It didn’t seem worth it, and I wasn’t even entirely sure how one went about getting and decorating a Christmas tree.  I think that’s one of those things most people learn as kids and take for granted as adults. 

I’ve loved ornaments ever since Nick gave me my first one.  I think the butterfly is so pretty.


My boss, Ginger, gave me this cupcake ornament when I left my job in SC to take a job in NC. 


Nick’s mom gave me this one in 2018, so I got a hippopotamus for Christmas.  Is the song stuck in your head now?


Not technically an ornament, but Nick’s mom also gave me hippopotamus lights for Christmas.  And they’re pink, which makes me ridiculously happy.


Our friend Martha gave us this one the first Christmas after we were married.  She started looking for it right after our wedding to find one with the right dress and tux. 


Our friend Alex gave us this one.  I call it the Thanksgiving ornament.  That means I really like it.


Of course, we have lots of firefighter-themed ornaments since Nick volunteered with the fire department for so long.


This isn’t technically an ornament, but it is a Christmas decoration.  My old coworker EJ gave this to me for Secret Santa several years ago.  Some people thought it was weird, but I love it. 


We usually try to get an ornament on our yearly vacation.  Except for 2016.  We weren’t planning to get an ornament that year anyway, since it’s a year we both want zero reminders of.  Leaving vacation early as part of a hurricane evacuation sealed the deal on not getting an ornament that year.

This one is from when we went to Atlanta in 2012.  It’s from Coca-Cola World.


Quite a few of ours are beach and/or South Carolina-themed.  We do love going to Folly Beach for vacation.


I love getting ornaments.  I love picking them out, and I love when other people give them to us.  It makes me happy to think of the stories that go with them every year when we hang them up.  I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of being given special ornaments.  I don’t have ornaments or decorations from childhood, so I appreciate being given them now.  The stories that go with them may not be old stories, but they’re part of my holiday story. 

What are your favorite ornaments? 

12 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful ornaments, especially the pretty hippos... and the hippo lights

    Jayashree writes

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some lovely ornaments! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some really nice ones, Danielle! Our kids got to pick one ornament per year, often on trips. I’ve given them to the two that are on their own now. My husband and I also did that for ourselves, dating back to the year we met (1984). One of my faves is a penguin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the pics of ornaments r so beautiful. Even if I don't celebrate I love decorating a Christmas tree. I used to do it all the time in school! Of all the things I do really love your Thanksgiving ornament
    Dropping by from a to z "The Pensive"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love ornaments, too, and every year at Christmas I like to tell the stories of where each ornament has come from if I can get my family to listen one more time. Many years, I feature some of my favorites on my blog like you did here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every year our daughter’s godfather gave her a Christmas ornament from the time she was a baby. In her late thirties, the tree fell and broke 90% of them. She was devastated. She still mourns that loss as she decorates the tree every year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have some beautiful ornaments, Danielle. Every year, I look forward to bringing out ornaments for Christmas. They are like old, dear friends you haven't seen in a long while!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all your ornaments. I had started giving my kids an ornament ever year when they were little. Somewhere along the line I quit but I really wish I would have kept it going.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool ornaments! I really like the pink hippo and lights. I have a lot of ornaments, but we haven't put up a tree in several years, as the girls are both grown and have their own traditions now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry you didn't get Christmas trees as a kid. The whole process could be an ordeal. (My father gets all sweary when doing difficult tasks, and Christmas tree setup was one of those.)

    I actually knitted some ornaments. I don't really keep a tree anymore (too much hassle), so most of my Christmas stuff has ended up with other family members.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed this post, Danielle! It reminds me of my mom telling the story of her first Christmas tree. She grew up in the depression so they didn't have much. When she got a job after she graduated, she just loved Christmas trees so that first Christmas she had money to buy the tree and the ornaments. She didn't know how to decorate the tree, not knowing you need to put ornaments all around the tree. She put them just in the front and the tree got top heavy so to speak and toppled over in the middle of the night. Glass ornaments were very popular back then so everything broke. Undeterred, she went out later that day and got new ornaments and learned her lesson on balancing the tree. Every year growing up she always reminded us to put ornaments all around the tree.

    I like the ornaments you shared here . I like your tradition to get ornaments when you go on a trip (except for that 2016 year!) I've been to some Christmas parties where we've brought an ornament to exchange. That is always fun to see what others like and what you come home with.

    My husband's mom loved decorating her tree so every year we would buy her ornaments as a Christmas gift :) It was fun because we lived in different parts of the country so she got ornaments from those areas which she enjoyed.

    I don't put up a tree any more but I have given a lot of the ornaments to son/family. My favorites when I did do a tree were snowmen and snowflakes :)

    Christmas will be here before we know it and you'll be enjoying putting up your tree again!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your child-like enthusiasm for holiday ornaments and the holidays in general. We need more of that in the world.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.