Wednesday, April 13, 2022

KonMari Method

It’s practically impossible to talk about decluttering without talking about the KonMari method.  Between the books and the Netflix series, I think almost everyone has at least heard of it.

I like large parts of the KonMari method, and there are parts of it that I don’t care for.  As always, I prefer to get the negative parts out of the way first. 

To me, the biggest drawback to the KonMari method is the idea that you have to tackle such huge projects at once.  For example, clothing is the first category of items to work through.  The KonMari method calls for removing ALL of your clothing from closets, drawers, etc., and going through every single piece, one item at a time. 

I understand that clothing should be relatively easy, and it makes sense to keep yourself from dealing with the same things over and over again.  But, trying to find the willpower, time, mental fortitude, and physical energy for a task like that can be daunting.  It’s easier to put it off for a weekend, then a long weekend, etc.  It’s also the kind of thing that has made me not want to start another project for a long time. 

If we were to pile all of our clothing on our bed, and it took longer than anticipated to go through it, we would literally have no good place to sleep.  We don’t have a guest room.  And spending the night in a recliner or on an air mattress doesn’t sound appealing. 

So, we broke it down into much smaller steps.  I think it’s important to get some easy wins early on.  So, I started with my socks.  I discarded socks that I couldn’t find mates for and even perfectly good pairs of socks that didn’t spark joy.  (More on that later.)  It was a doable project.  I felt good about it and myself when I was finished, and that gave me the confidence to move on to the next category. 

I’ve seen a lot of memes making fun of the KonMari system and talking about how things like a bottle of aspirin or a vacuum cleaner or broccoli don’t spark joy, so that must mean you need to get rid of them.  But, I think my favorite part of the KonMari system addresses that. 

Before you even start with tidying or discarding, the KonMari method tells you to envision your ideal lifestyle, what you want your days to look like, and what you want to surround yourself with.  In my opinion, that addresses the “these things that I actually need don’t spark joy” argument.  Personally, my ideal lifestyle doesn’t include a headache (now the aspirin is a keeper), dirty floors or furry furniture (now the vacuum cleaner is a keeper), or never eating healthy foods (the broccoli will never be a keeper, but plenty of other vegetables are, even if ice cream does spark a lot more joy).

Some of the things I picture in my ideal version of life are not being slaves to keeping the house clean, not being stressed out or late because we couldn’t find something we needed, and being able to have people over to the house any time we want.  If we’ve learned anything from COVID, it’s that time and opportunities are precious.  I don’t want to waste those because I don’t want someone to see how messy my house is.  So, with the KonMari method, those are the goals I’m working toward. 

The “spark joy” part of the KonMari method can take a little while to get used to, especially when applying it to ordinary things.  It kind of clicked for me when I was working on sweaters.  Yes, I broke clothing into very small categories; socks, sweaters, tee shirts, other shirts, pants, jeans, shorts, etc.  Anyway, during the sweater process, I had a lightbulb moment with these two sweaters. 


They both fit me, they’re both colors I typically wear, they’re both a brand I like, and there was no damage (stains, tears, etc.) to either one of them.  I almost never wore the teal one.  I still can’t really articulate a reason why.  Maybe the neckline?  I’m not sure.  Anyway, I never really enjoyed wearing it, but I kept it around because it was a perfectly good sweater, and I had it as a backup if I didn’t keep up with the laundry.   I almost never let it get to the point of wearing the sweater, though, because I just didn’t like it.  The argyle plaid one, on the other hand, I wore (and still wear) all of the time.  Argyle plaid always makes me happy!  I feel good wearing that sweater.  I like how it fits, feels, and looks.  I feel confident in it.  Incidentally, it’s what I’m wearing in my work ID photo because it seemed like a great choice for my first day at this job. 

The argyle plaid sweater (and all of the other argyle plaid sweaters I have) spark joy for me.  I feel good wearing them.  The teal one didn’t.  I was never going to feel great about wearing it.  So, it turns out I didn’t need it, even though it was a perfectly good sweater.  That sweater is no longer hanging in my closet, and I don’t have to move it aside to reach a sweater that I’m happy wearing. 

It sounds almost too simple to make a difference, but when you think about applying it to everything, it adds up to a huge change.  When your clothes are all things you enjoy wearing, your cookbooks are all ones you enjoy cooking from, your pots and pans are all ones you use and enjoy using – you can imagine how much the list can go on - it leads to an overall feeling of being happier and not needing to devote so much mental energy to basic things. 

We’re not 100% there yet, and our house definitely doesn’t look like anything you’ll find on Marie Kondo’s website, but it’s so much better than it was.  We’re benefitting from the things we’ve simplified.  Last weekend, we invited our neighbors over to dinner on the spur of the moment.  We were all outside working on various yard projects and started talking.  Everyone was home, and it was the perfect opportunity.  Because the house was in order and I knew what we had in the freezer, it was easy to decide on a last-minute dinner.  I made a huge pot of spaghetti, so we all ate, talked, and played games.  It was a great evening and one we wouldn’t have been able to have if the house had been too messy for us to be comfortable inviting people over.  That sparks joy for both of us.

So what about you?  Have you used the KonMari method?  What sparks joy for you? 

12 comments:

  1. I have read her book and didn't connect with it. I think one thing that gets lost in the translation is she first developed this method in Japan where spaces are smaller and, in general, they have fewer things. That's why she says to do all of something at once. I think you were smart to break it into smaller pieces. That's the way I do things, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked around briefly on her website. I like some of the things she said but my first thought was "all the people in the house would have to be on board to do this and make it work" and I live with a pack rat/almost hoarder. I could go through my stuff (and I do and only have what I like and need) but I'm never going to be able to do it for all the parts of the house I'd like to do this with (kitchen, pantry, artwork and so much more) because hubby has trouble letting go of things even if it is things that haven't been used in years, etc.

    I do agree about the clothing. I had several pieces of clothing that were nice but I hadn't worn in a long time or even really enjoyed wearing so I just dumped those, even if they had any sentimental value to them (for instance I got rid of the top I wore at son's/DIL's wedding). It served its purpose but I hadn't worn it since, why hold on to it?

    I'm glad though that you are able to incorporate what you can with it and work on the projects at your pace and that you could see the difference it made and allow you to enjoy dinner with your neighbors!!! Let us know how further progress goes with it!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not familiar with that method but it sounds like I need to learn that system.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you broke down the method into reasonable size. I've used her method and it worked for me to a degree.

    Beth
    https://bethlapinsatozblog.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember another blogger talking about the ‘spark joy’ business and thought it was funny. I’ve never gotten to the point of needing that sort of system because like I said before, I love to get rid of stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She makes me crazy. You're right about the all at once. Have you ever seen her show on netflix? I would kill her if she came into my house, all smiling and then going through things ruthlessly. (And yes, some things are easy). I will say she has the best clothes-folding method I've ever seen and I do that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh for the first time I feel Blogger shud hav had voice record button rather than type coz I WANT TO TALK A LOT ON THIS ! - may be in a post. after covid our house is so cluttered that I badly need it. The marie kondo method to lessen the suffocation . I too started with clothes and my almyrahs are much lighter now but I can still get rid of much stuff. I have many like ur teal sweater which are just lying there... ur post gave me inspiration to approach more minimalistic approach

    I thoroughly enjoyed ur post.. yes minimalistic living would actually be helpful when u invite guests too -- more space more fun

    Good day

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never used the KonMari method, but I do tend to move a lot that kind of declutters a lot of stuff automatically. All the best with the rest of the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course I've heard of this, but I haven't gone any deeper than what I've heard people talk about. You were wise to break it down into doable chunks. I know I'll put off something for years if I have to block off a weekend or longer to complete it.

    I doubt the "spark joy" would help me, though. I find that I don't have trouble letting go of things when I'm done with them. I might have trouble finding time to go through things, but I don't tend to hold onto clothes that I don't wear.

    Sounds like some of her tips really helped you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes I have heard of this method and I totally get it. If it doesn't make you happy, toss it. I'm really bad at keeping things just because or just in case. I'm always decluttering but it never seems to be enough!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have watched one or two episodes of Marie Kondo...but in general decluttering is a sort of cleansing process , for not just the wardrobes but for our own selves... excellent stress relief method

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the way you took aspects of it that worked for you, and tweaked those that needed it to fit for you. I also like your logic with deciding what should be kept or not.

    I've not done this myself, but do plan on doing something similar.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.