Friday, April 8, 2022

Grape Smoothie

I apologize in advance for the lack of good pictures of the smoothies.  It was getting late, and without thinking, I put the camera away right before I started the blender.  I ended up just snapping a couple of quick cellphone pictures before we enjoyed the smoothies.  

Don’t let the not-so-great pictures keep you from trying one, though.  They were really good!

I can usually tell if Nick really likes something by if he thinks it should be a blog post.  With these, his response when I asked was “Most definitely!”  So I decided to make this my G post despite the less-than-stellar pictures.

I’m a sucker for trying different kinds of grapes.  My absolute favorite is cotton candy grapes, but those aren’t easy to find.  My second favorite is red candy heart grapes.  They’re not as easy to find as regular grapes but seem to be more readily available than cotton candy grapes.  Unfortunately, Sam’s Club is where I can find them most often, which means buying them three pounds at a time.  That’s a lot of grapes for two people. 

These were in the fridge, looking somewhat sad, on Monday. 

I didn’t think we’d be able to eat all of them (short of having grapes for dinner, which didn’t sound appealing) before they went bad, so I decided to try making smoothies with them.  I decided if it didn’t turn out, I wasn’t that much worse off since the grapes didn’t have long left anyway.  It turned out to be one of my better ideas.  They were delicious!  And easy.  It seems like a stretch to call it a recipe, but here’s the recipe:

Grape Smoothies (this will yield two almost full 24 oz. Tervis tumblers)

2 cups red grapes, washed and removed from stems

2 cups fat-free vanilla yogurt

2-3 ice cubes

Add all ingredients to blender and pulse until grapes are pulverized, and it’s nice and creamy. 

Recipe Notes:  I used red candy heart grapes, but I think any sweet red grape would work.  I don’t think it would be very good with green grapes (other than cotton candy grapes) since they’re not as sweet.

Normally, with yogurt, I advocate using your preferred variety (Greek, whole milk, fat-free, etc.), but with this recipe, I think you need to use fat-free yogurt.  It tends to have a thinner consistency than other types, and I think you need that since there isn’t any liquid added. 

What is your favorite kind of grape? 

12 comments:

  1. This looks very god. I like red grapes, but no green ones! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t notice the names of grapes like you do but I will from now on. Thanks Danielle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love smoothies.. A good substitute as a break fast too. Though Grapes irritate my throat a bit

    Thanks for the recipe!

    Good day - Dropping by from A to Z - https://afshan-shaik.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve tried the Cotton Candy ones once, but I didn’t think they tasted different than regular grapes. I’ve never heard of Candy Hearts. We don’t get much variety here, but I do like the Red Globes at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, I didn't realize there were so many different types of grapes you could get at the grocery store! I will have to be more observant next time I go to the store. I like red ones over green but can I say my favorite ones are the ones made into wine?

    Smoothies look yummy and refreshing!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. That might be something I need to try. I do love grape drinks. I don't often have grapes in the house, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never knew you could use grapes in smoothies... we always have grapes in our house and they make great snack food when traveling. I also freeze them for quick pop in the mouth snack... so delish frozen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always have seedless red grapes in the house. My favorite? I'm one of those weird people (OK, maybe it's not weird) who love to put concord grapes on her breakfast cereal. The only downside is that they have seeds. I have loved grapes as a child and I live about an hour from a grape growing region so I can get local grapes, sometimes, at farmers markets here. That includes concord grapes, which also make a fantastic pie. And you are right, varieties do matter. (I like the cotton candy grapes too, in the couple of months we can get them here, but generally not that much of a fan of white grapes in general.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those cotton candy grapes are SO good, but we can only get them here at one store a few times a year. Veronica loves any kind of grapes, so I buy them every now and then for her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK... Yum! I love grapes, and now I have to try one of these. As a bonus: my prefered variety of vegan yogurt is kind of runny like the fat free stuff, so it should work perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As soon as I saw "cotton candy grapes" I thought "Sam's Club" and then I kept reading and that's where you said you found them :D I've never made smoothies from grapes before. Interesting. Does the skin get pulverized enough? That's one reason I don't like blueberries in my smoothies, because I feel every bit of blueberry peel. ps do you ever wash your berries and grapes in a solution of apple cider vinegar and water? Saw it on Pinterest one time and it gets them really clean (you'll see when you lift the fruit out of the water!) and makes them last much longer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.