Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Answering Questions

I’ve noticed when it comes to blogging that about half of the bloggers I usually visit seem to respond to each comment on their blog, and about half don’t seem to respond to any, at least in the comments section.  I’m never really sure which one is best.  I don’t know if people actually check back, so I very rarely respond to anything in the comments section. 

I also don’t write many (any?) posts that are going to inspire much debate, or raise very many questions.  There’s only so much discussion possible when it comes to recipes or cat pictures.  That being said, there is an occasional question in the comments section, so I thought I might start periodically doing a post with responses to those. 

I’ve skimmed over the last several posts, and these are the ones I noticed:

On Throw Back Thursday - The Baby Howard Edition, Liz asked if Howard still tries getting into places that are too small for him. 

Not really.  Howard is “portly” as the very nice nurse at the emergency vet once described him, and has been for a while.  I think he’s used to not fitting very many places.  He’s also twelve now, so doesn’t do nearly as much climbing around as he used to. He does like to squish himself into the smallest pet beds possible, but I think that’s probably just for the warm, cozy feeling.  Howard is super cuddly, and is happiest when he’s cuddled up to someone else.

When I posted my Cheap Steak Fajitas recipe, and lamented my inability to make beef stew, Bijoux made the comment that she thought I needed a Crock Pot until realizing that the recipe was a Crock Pot recipe.  

All of my failed attempts at beef stew have been in the Crock Pot.  I usually have great luck with Crock Pot recipes, so I’m not sure what the problem is when it comes to beef stew.  

Betty asked if I’d like a recipe.  

I’d love one!  If it claims to be simple or foolproof, I can definitely put that to the test.  

When I posted my Tzatziki sauce recipe, Cat asked for possible substitutions for dill.  

I’ve had it without dill, and it’s good.  That’s actually how we were taught to make it in the cooking class I took.  Honestly, I prefer it with dill, but it’s still really good without it.  If you’re looking for a substitution, though, I would probably try oregano or mint, since those are typically already found in the types of food you’re likely to be having with Tzatziki sauce.  

And I think that’s it for posts that had any kind of questions.  Like I said, I don’t seem to post very much that raises questions or leads to much debate.  

So, how do you handle questions and comments on your blog?  Do you respond to every comment, or just questions?  Or do you do something else entirely? 

8 comments:

  1. I had trouble with Blogger recently and stopped replying to comments out of frustration with the process. I will respond again however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this recipe for over 15 years and its never disappointed me.

    3-4 pound rump roast (there's another name for it but I'm drawing a blank right now with it, but make sure its a good cut of meat)
    8-oz can of tomato sauce
    2-1/2 cups water
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon parsley flakes
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon basil
    1 teaspoon oregano
    Dash Worcestershire sauce
    Dash soy sauce
    1 package Italian salad dressing mix (Good Seasons) (but I just get what I find)

    Put roast in crock pot. Combine remaining ingredients in saucepan and cook over medium high heat until mixture comes to a full boil. Remove from heat and pour over roast in crock pot. Cook all night on low or 6-8 hours on high (I cook it at least 8 hours on low starting in the morning around 9 if I want to eat around 6 or 6:30).

    Recipe doesn't call for it, but I put baby carrots and potatoes in with the roast and let all cook all day.

    The roast literally falls apart when you are trying to take it out of the crock pot Very delicious.

    I don't answer comments on my blog. I know I should but I know I rarely go back and read if anyone has commented on their blog to comments. Don't have the time to do so it seems.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I answer comments on my blog. I also answer every comment, even if it's just a message to thank the person for commenting, or for what they said, or whatever.

    For one thing, it means any answers are there for others to read too. For another thing, answering by eMail doesn't always work. For example: if you try to reply to my comments via eMail, I won't get them, because it lists me as a "no reply blogger" for the purposes of replying to my comments, despite me having it set to make my eMail address visible, and despite it being happy to send me follow-up comments if I subscribe to them after leaving a comment on a post, as well as post notification eMails.

    ReplyDelete
  4. first of all, thanks for the suggestions. I'll give the recipe a try! And as you know, I generally respond to every comment - though sometimes it takes me a while. I don't have a huge number of readers - especially these days since I don't blog much, so I pretty much know who checks back and who doesn't - at least I know who likes to engage in "comment conversations" and who doesn't - so I tailor my responses accordingly. But I'm with Victoria in that responding to comments isn't just for the person who left the comment - it's for the other readers too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I go back and re-read the comments. And I don't toss out any thing controversial.

    Also go back to see other blogs where the post was esp. good. Like to see the comments and replies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I respond to every comment. Each comment goes to my email (since I got that working again), and if I can respond via email, I do. Sometimes those turn into a back and forth.

    About half my commenters don't have that enabled, however. (You have to set it in your Blogger profile someplace. It was so long ago that I've forgotten how.) I can tell because their email address is one of those no reply ones. Those I respond to in the comment thread.

    I know many don't come back, and that's fine. I figure if they want the response, they can find it. If they don't, no worries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like replying to comments helps the conversation and it allows us to get to know each other better. I know what you mean though that sometimes there's not much to say in return.

    When I cook beef in the crockpot, I always start it on high for 4 hours, then I turn it down to low for an extra hour. I have a smaller size crockpot. The high temp is what makes the meat tender.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How nice of you to answer those questions, Danielle. I usually don't respond within the comments section, because I kind of don't think people check back. I usually try to comment with an answer on the blog of the peron who asked the question. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.