Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Tzatziki Sauce

I love tzatziki sauce.  It’s one of my favorite things about eating any kind of Greek or Mediterranean food.  The food is already amazing, then you top it with an incredible sauce, and it just gets better.

We’ve taken a few cooking classes at a local Mediterranean restaurant, and one of the things we learned how to make was tzatziki sauce.  I was surprised at how simple it is to make.  I thought anything this delicious had to be at least a little bit complicated, but it’s surprisingly simple to make.

It’s also very easy to customize to your particular tastes, likes, and dislikes, so don’t be afraid to experiment.  This version is the result of my experimenting with a version of the recipe we were taught in class, and a version we tried at another restaurant out of town.

Tzatziki Sauce:

1 cup plain Greek yogurt
Scant 1/4 cup finely chopped cucumber, seeded (or use seedless, it’s much easier)
1 garlic clove, pressed
½ tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp dried dill
Salt to taste, usually just a sprinkle or two

Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl, mix well, and serve chilled.


You can use plain regular yogurt, if you prefer, or if that’s what you have on hand.  The sauce turns out just fine.  It’s a little thinner, and I assume somewhat less authentic, but still delicious.  You can also leave the salt out if you prefer.  I don’t recommend that.  I love salt, and I’m convinced there’s very little food that isn’t improved by the addition of salt, but that’s just my opinion.

The sauce doesn’t keep very long at all.  You’ll need to use it within about 24 - 36 hours of making it.  That’s really not a problem, though, with a sauce this good.  It’s great on pita chips, gyros, grilled or baked Greek seasoned chicken, Greek omelettes, basically anything that pairs well with a creamy, garlicky sauce.

7 comments:

  1. It does look easy and I'm sure it does taste delicious! And its not really bad as far as calories go because plain yogurt for a cup only has about 100 calories.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I miss Tzatziki Sauce! I'm allergic to dill, so it's a no-no for me. But maybe I could try making my own and just leave out the dill, or maybe substitute. Anybody got a good substitution idea (bear in mind that I'm also allergic to fennel, cilantro, sage & parsley.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I use mint in my Tzatziki..just because I love mint :)

      Delete
  3. I tend to avoid white sauce/condiments as I worry that it contains Stuff I Don't Like. I'm iffy on yogurt. I'll have to try it and see if I can tolerate it. (My list of Stuff I Don't Like is rather extensive and it includes lots and lots of stuff that most people love.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make it for gyros, but haven't tried it on other things. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.