Tuesday, July 23, 2019

A Few More Random Things

My goal of blogging three times a week for the next quarter isn’t off to the best start, but there’s still time to turn that around this week.  In the meantime, here’s another post with a few random things that aren’t quite enough for their own post.

It was HOT here over the weekend.  I like the warm weather, but it was even hotter than I like it. The air conditioner wasn’t able to keep up for most of Saturday; it stayed about four degrees warmer than it was set for.  Even Duke decided it was better to be inside with the air conditioning than frolicking around the yard. 


We finally got around to watching Mary Poppins Returns on Saturday.  I know it has been out for a while, but we hadn’t seen it.  I absolutely loved it!  I think they did a great job with it.  I loved it how it’s not just a remake of the old movie, but that it also doesn’t detract from the original in any way.  And I think the songs are just as catchy.  I’ve had a few of them stuck in my head for the past few days.  If you haven’t seen it yet, it’s definitely worth watching. 

We had plans to grill out for dinner on Saturday night, but it was just too hot, so we decided on cold foods (salad, wraps, and fruit) for dinner.   Sunday was supposed to be just as hot as Saturday, but we really wanted to grill out, so we decided to grill out in the morning.  We got up early, and had the grill going by 8:00 a.m.  It’s a little weird to smell grilled chicken that early, but it beats feeling like you’re being grilled along with the food later in the day. 

We also tried a new barbeque sauce from Aldi.  Being a South Carolina girl, I’m all about the mustard based barbeque sauce.  Nick hates mustard, though, and any mustard based barbeque sauce you can find in North Carolina really isn’t worth eating (please, please, trust me on this one, and don’t judge mustard based barbeque until you try it in South Carolina), and I’m not the biggest fan of tomato based barbeque sauce.  Normally we just skip barbeque sauce since it’s hard for us to agree on, but I saw this one in Aldi last week, and thought it looked good. 

It’s delicious!  No other barbeque sauce will ever be quite as good as South Carolina mustard based, but this is a fairly close second.  Nick loved it, too, so we’ve finally found a barbeque sauce we agree on.  We went back to Aldi on Sunday and bought a few more bottles of it.  I highly recommend trying it if you have the chance. 


We’ve made the happy discovery that the gym we go to is practically a ghost town on Sunday morning, so we went and spent some time in the pool.  It feels a lot more like fun than exercise when you go to the pool on a hot day.  I did 22 laps, which was a two lap improvement over my highest lap count to date. 

So what about you?  How has the past week been for you?  Have you had unusually high temperatures?

9 comments:

  1. Great to see you!

    Hot, dang hot. I don't know where you are, tho. We have hot desert dry wind hot. I grew up in hot humid muggy Illinois hot. Misery, your name is hot.

    Love the SNC bbq sauce. Mustard and vinegar is the best. My mom always made a tomato molasses bbq.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The heat you guys have had is so compounded with the humidity. Give me dry heat any time over heat with humidity. Really 108 degrees with no humidity here is pleasant where 92 degrees in the Washington DC area with 90% humidity just about killed me.

    There was a time in our lives that with everyone's crazy schedule sometimes we would make dinner first thing in the morning and then just heat up what we wanted at dinner. It worked just fine!

    Great for you with your beating your laps! Nothing better than being in water when it is warm outside! Our outside temp today was 108 and the pool was 90 degrees. It felt good!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has seemed sweltering ever since we returned from San Diego. Friday night, we had tickets to the Indians game and it was in the mid-90's at 7 pm. I was miserable, even being a hot weather person. That humidity is a friend to no one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not seen the first Mary Poppins yet. I must have missed it if it made it to Netflix. There are just too many shows and movies available to us these days! It has been super hot! We go out early when we want to do something outside. Then we are done by 1pm or so! Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, it's been crazy hot here, too. Saturday and Sunday, the heat index was 110 F. Yikes. We were at an outdoor event on Saturday night. The heat and humidity were brutal, but we survived. Awesome job on 22 laps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WAY too hot here this week. We don't have air conditioning, and whatever it is outside, our place is usually a few degrees hotter. If I had a pool, I wouldn't want to get out of it. It's only the fact we can't risk taking the dogs out there, and can't leave them home alone, that stops me going and spending the day hanging out in the ocean. And I literally mean "in" the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not too hot here. Stay cool you two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard the east coast got a bad heatwave. It's just hitting here now. I'm miserable, but that's mostly because my ceiling fan is gone. I thought it would have been replaced by now. Sigh.

    Nothing wrong with cooking early in the day. Probably smart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a boopable nose. Gah the heat was TERRIBLE! I don't like above 85 and those 100 days were just hateful mean.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.