Monday, July 11, 2022

This Was Supposed to Be a Thursday 13

Last Thursday, I had most of a Thursday 13 post written and ready to go. Then our fridge died, and my evening derailed. For the sake of having good pictures for this post,

I’ve kept the two Thursday 13 things with the best pictures.

1. The lilac bush seems to be blooming again! It bloomed, those blooms died, and now it seems to be blooming again. I love the lilac blooms, so I’m thrilled.



2. We’ve had a random lily pop up in the front yard. We’ve worked very hard over the years to get rid of all of the lilies in our yard because they’re extremely toxic to cats. Our cats are indoor cats, but a few of them run out occasionally, and we worry about Duke bringing anything in on his fur.This one is in the front yard, though, and Duke only plays in the backyard, so we may let it stay. I’m not sure yet.


Now the fridge saga, with a few random pictures sprinkled in because it needs something positive. In hindsight, it was probably dying for several days, but because I’m very good at denial, I didn’t realize it. There were a few bags of lettuce that went very bad before their expiration date. That happens, sometimes, though, so I didn’t think too much about it. Some sweet tea got rancid. This should have gotten my attention because unless I’m out of town or extremely sick, sweet tea does not sit around long enough to go rancid here. I told myself I’d had more Coke than usual, so the tea sat longer than usual, and maybe it wasn’t even really that rancid because I’m pretty picky about sweet tea. I told you I’m good at denial.


What should have been my next major clue was that a few things in the fridge didn’t feel as cold as they should. I decided that maybe we had bumped the temperature control, so I reset it for the coldest setting. Then we had a busy couple of days where we both got home from work very late, so we opted for takeout one night and going out the next night. I like to think that if I’d cooked one of those nights, I would have finally admitted that something was very, very wrong with the fridge.

By Thursday afternoon, there was no question that the fridge was warm, not cool, and definitely not cold. Nick looked at it to see if he could figure anything out with it. The freezer was partially working; some things were still frozen solid, and some were completely melted. It was very weird.

We were able to save about half of what was in the freezer. We threw out anything that seemed questionable at all. We put some of what was savable in our chest freezer and gave some popsicles and ice cream to our neighbors. They were very kindly storing Howard’s insulin pen in their fridge for us and loaned us coolers so we could try to save things from the fridge.

My sister's cat Dobby

Unfortunately, every single thing in the fridge had to be thrown away. It was just too warm to risk trying to keep any of it. I’m trying very hard not to tally up how much money that was because I think that would be very depressing. I don’t think you really think about how much is in the fridge until you have to haul ALL of it out to the trash; condiments, milk, yogurt, cheese (including fresh mozzarella), fruit, vegetables, eggs,butter, etc.

Once we had everything emptied out, Nick defrosted the freezer with a hairdryer, and we reset everything. Since we’d already lost everything from the fridge, it seemed worth it to see if it was a case of the freezer being too stuffed and something freezing up. The neighbors mentioned that something like that had happened with theirs a few times. So we decided it was worth a try.


We went out to Home Depot and Lowe’s to buy a thermometer to put in the fridge and to look at refrigerators in case we ended up needing a new one. We bought a thermometer and found a fridge we really liked with the right measurements to fit in our kitchen. Our house is small, and the fridge cutout in our kitchen is very small. Well over half of the refrigerators available weren’t even close to being small enough to fit, so we had a very limited selection to choose from.

The one we found was perfect. It was stainless steel, which Nick really wanted, and Icame around to after our neighbor Lori showed me how easy it was to clean. It had the freezer drawer on the bottom with very well-designed storage within that. The top fridge part was double doors with great storage, and all of the shelves could be moved. There are probably hundreds of ways you can rearrange the shelves in this fridge. It was perfect.

By Friday morning, we knew that our fridge was definitely dead. On the one hand, we weren’t planning on a new fridge, so that wasn’t great, but with the perfect fridge justwaiting at Home Depot, it wasn’t terrible.


Our house and our neighbors’ house are pretty much identical. They were built in the 50s, and the only real differences, other than color, are additions and improvements made over the years. They’ve been in theirs much longer than we’ve been in ours, so we’ve copied a lot of ideas from them, and they’ve come over and measured where lightswitches and things are when they’ve been undoing a renovation. It’s very convenient. When I took Howard’s insulin pen over, I noticed that they have a double-door refrigerator, so I asked Lori if they were happy with it since our kitchens arebasically the same. She said she wouldn’t get it again because you can’t open the door on the right side all the way, and that makes it inconvenient when you’re trying to get a large pan in or out.

We ended up going over and measuring their fridge and fridge cutout in the kitchen. We learned that our houses aren’t quite as identical as we thought. We have the same square footage, but our living room is a few inches bigger than theirs, and their kitchen is a few inches bigger than ours. Those inches all seem to be in the fridge cutout.


We decided we needed to measure how far we could get the door to open on the perfect fridge and to take a 9x13 pan with us to see how it was to get it in and out. I was fairly confident that a few inches wouldn’t matter that much and was still thinking of all of the wonderful ways to organize the perfect fridge. Fortunately, Nick has a much better sense of spatial judgment than I do. He measured again, factoring in a hinge that we hadn’t noticed swung out quite so far the night before. That’s when all of my daydreams of the perfect fridge were shattered. It wasn’t even close to doable.

If you have a very small space for your fridge, I highly recommend measuring it twice and looking for any parts that swing out or take up any more room before you explore the interior and all of the wonderful drawers and shelves. Don’t get attached to a fridge you can’t have. Trust me on this one.


After multiple trips back and forth between Home Depot and Lowe’s, lots of measuring, re-measuring, and trying out different shelves for the 9x13 pan, we finally decided onand bought a refrigerator. Let’s just say that Nick’s grandmother was right to suggest naming him after a saint, and his mom was right to think it was a good idea. I was annoying myself by the time we were finished. I’m sure it took the patience of a saint to buy a refrigerator with me.

The new fridge is supposed to be delivered on Thursday. It’s stainless steel (which Nick really wanted, and I finally came around to after seeing how easy it is to clean), has the handles in the tops of the doors instead of the outside (which Nick really wanted), has two separate produce drawers (which I really wanted), and has a solid, not wire, shelf in the freezer (which I really wanted). So, while it’s not perfect, it does have features that we both wanted. And, at this point, almost any cold refrigerator sounds like a very good one.

Of course, now that we don’t have a functioning refrigerator, all I want to do is cook elaborate meals with lots of ingredients that need to be refrigerated and lots of leftovers.

For now, we’re sticking with very simple meals made with things we can safely keep in coolers and canned foods.


The trash was picked up today, so at least now we’re not seeing all of the bags of food we had to throw away every time we go outside. That was just depressing.

On the positive side, we’re planning to have panini a few nights this week, which is always good. And we’re getting a blank slate with the refrigerator; no multiple jars/bottles of the same thing opened, no sauces we aren’t crazy about but feel bad throwing away, and definitely nothing expired or past its prime. A massive refrigerator reorganization is a daunting task, but starting from zero makes it a lot easier.

Frankie

So what about you? Would you have worried about the fridge a lot sooner than I did?Have you ever had to throw away everything from your refrigerator? Do you have astainless steel fridge, and if you do, do you like it?

13 comments:

  1. Gosh, Danielle, sorry to read about your fridge woes. Glad you guys made a decision and purchased one, but sorry you have to wait a few more days until it gets delivered. That was good advice to measure and measure and then measure again, especially if there was a small area where the appliance was going .

    We had to dump food once from a fridge. The first time was after a 12 hour power outage in the middle of summer on the hottest day where we lived at the time. When power was restored, I got on the internet and researched what would be safe to keep and what wouldn't be. Basically we erred on the side of caution because food poisoning is more expensive than replacing food. I also learned my lesson in whenever the power goes out for an extended period of time eat the ice cream first :) We also had to dump a lot from the freezer. What I did to replace items was I didn't buy all the condiments we normally have right away. I bought as we needed them. For instance if we were using a recipe that needed soy sauce. That's when I bought soy sauce instead of buying everything at once. It was less expensive that way for me.

    The lily is pretty but I agree. Got to make sure it is not toxic for the furry critters that live in your house.

    We do have a stainless steel fridge. I do like it. We can put magnets on it (so I think that makes it stainless steel?) All I know is when we bought our current one I wanted to make sure grandson could put toys with magnets on it so I carried a magnet toy with me when we went looking :)

    Have fun with the new fridge!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right that it's absolutely not worth risking food poisoning to save food that's iffy. That's cute about bringing the magnets. Now I'm wondering if people who work in appliance stores have lots of stories about what people bring with them when they're shopping for a refrigerator.

      Delete
  2. I had to laugh at you thinking you were annoying in the fridge search! Lol, I’m annoying trying to find clothes and restaurants I’ll eat at, so I get it.

    Our fridge died here the year after we moved in. It was some crazy expensive fridge with the vents on top and the doors matched the cabinetry. When we went to replace it, there was literally ONE fridge that fit the space, though we then had 10 inches on top. We decided to have a woodworker make a built in wine rack to cover the empty hole. It worries me that appliances don’t last long these days because now the fridge is 9 years old! We have stainless everything and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may want to start looking now if your space is that inflexible. I was surprised how many refrigerators weren't even an option for us.

      I've been very resistant to stainless steel, but now I'm kind of excited about it.

      Delete
  3. We had a chest freezer die on us once, and everything thawed and spoiled before we figured it out. Boy, did it stink!

    We recently got a new fridge for our kitchen remodel and we're still adjusting to it. The freezer at times is very hard to open, supposedly because rapid cooling causing a vacuum.

    It's good that you will get your fridge in a few days. We bought ours last June and it didn't get delivered until December because of the parts and supply chain issues. We were okay because we still had our old one, but I know people whose fridge died who were having a real problem because there weren't any available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fridge was bad, but I think the chest freezer would have been so much worse.

      I'm sure it's going to take some time for me to get used to the new fridge. I don't always embrace change, so it takes a while for me to adjust to something new.

      That's a long time to wait! I was worried about how long it was going to take to get the fridge after some of my co-workers have talked about waiting months to get one. I guess, maybe, the plain Jane refrigerators are a little more readily available or maybe some of the supply chain issues are finally getting better.

      Delete
  4. Fridge dying anytime is bad -- in the summer, worse. I'm sorry you had to lose so much food -- glad that the new one is on its way -- not always so likely these days! Mine is due to be replaced -- it's over 25 years old and probably not energy efficient at all, but it's in an odd space and replacing will be modifying cupboards, so I keep it going as long as I can! Good luck1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's impressive that yours lasted so long! You may want to start looking at them now if your space is very specific. We've talked about trying to calendar when this one will likely need to be replaced and trying to start modifying the space well ahead of that time since it seems like appliances just keep getting bigger. I don't want to think about how limited our choices might be in another 10 years or so.

      Delete
  5. Not fun. At least you got to get a new fridge, but still, not fun. Living out of coolers isn't fun, either. We've usually caught the problem before we lost everything in the fridge, but I notice when the fridge isn't as cool as it should be right away. (Milk gets warm quickly, and I generally have a bit of milk every day.) But I'm a freak like that. It's not fun to be the one who notices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it's not fun to be the one who notices, but I wish I had noticed sooner so we could have saved some things. I'm weird about milk and only use it on cereal. I was on a bagel kick last week, so that didn't do anything to help with noticing.

      Delete
  6. Oh, dang. I'm so sorry that happened, Danielle. Our fridge will have to be replaced at some point, but seems to be doing pretty well for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why that coment appears as "anonymous." It was from me. :) - meowmeowmans

      Delete
    2. I've noticed on a few other blogs that people are commenting anonymously when they don't mean to. Maybe a Blogger glitch? I hope your fridge keeps going for you. Shopping for a new one isn't a fun process.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.