Thursday, June 27, 2024

Thursday 13: Around the Yard

There’s so much going on in the yard this time of year, so I thought another Thursday 13 featuring things around the yard was in order.

I apologize that the light isn’t the best in some of the photos.  It has been HOT here, and it was just too miserable to go around taking pictures until after the sun started going down.

1.     This week, we’ll start with the white hydrangea that’s just starting to bloom. 

Here’s a close-up. 

2.    Next up, we have the Shasta daisies, which aren’t looking good at all. 

The free-range chickens like to dig in the front flowerbed, so I thought I’d chicken-proof it with some decorative fencing.

3.    Clearly, the fence failed to keep them out.  I’m working on another solution.

4.    We’ve recently put a birdbath on a shepherd’s hook next to the front porch.  It’s in direct sun, so I’ve been trying to put ice cubes in it at least once a day.  The birds are definitely using it.  We’ve seen several, and we have to refill it every night. 

5.    The rose of Sharon trees are blooming. 

6.     We have full flowers.

7.    We have buds.

8.    And we have some that are right in the middle.

9.    We have a birdfeeder in the backyard now.  It’s solar and lights up when it gets a little darker than it was when I took the picture. 

10. Next, we have the flowers in the planter on the rain barrel next to the birdfeeder.  I can’t remember the name of these flowers.  I always think of them as mini petunias. 

Here’s a close-up.

11.  There are more flowers that look like mini petunias in the planter on the second rain barrel.


12.   There are also some regular petunias in that planter.  I think these look absolutely perfect.

13. Lastly, in answer to Live & Learn’s question about the groundhogs eating plants we don’t want them to eat, here’s what’s left of the basil.  They ate most of it two weeks ago, and it had started growing back some earlier this week, but they feasted on it again.  Apparently, they’re not planning to share the basil with us.  



12 comments:

  1. I enjoyed you walk around the yard. I haven't seen a hanging birdbath before. We have a very heavy concrete one that's hard to clean. Yours looks much more practical. I may look into getting one like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The groundhogs have good taste anyway…basil.

    Your garden has a lot going on, Danielle. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a long reply all typed out...looked up and nothing there. (I don't touch type...have to look at the key board). So here I am again and I will say I never knew of a hanging bed bath. I will see if I can do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plus I would LOVE to see a real groundhog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of pretty things. Do you have an issue with the Rose of Sharon sprouting all over the grass? That’s what happened at our old house. It was a beautiful bush, but we couldn’t control all the seedlings. I noticed the new people cut it down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jamie (jannghi.blogspot.com):
    Loving those flowers.
    It's been pretty hot where I live, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty surroundings! You've reminded me, I want to install a birdbath.

    ReplyDelete
  8. everyone seems to have the same story, hot and humid and it is not great for some plants, others do well!! we had a serious storm last night, thunder, lightning and heavy rain which is so good for the grass and the gardens!! your lace hydrangeas are very pretty!! it's awesome that you provide water for the birds, they need that as much as they need food!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice garden. My petunias are roasting in this heat and looking very puny indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best to avoid the heat when you can. The pictures are fine. Your garden seems to be doing rather well. Is there a way to protect the basil from the groundhogs?

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favorite pic is that bird bath. I can just imagine your feathered friends putting it to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do not like heat at all and I agree, best to stay out of the heat. Even here in New York State, it's been hot much of the last two weeks or so. I believe your mini-petunias are million bells, or calibrachoa. I love them. For all the on and off problems we've had with groundhogs, they don't seem to like our basil. Too bad they like ornamental sweet potatoes, flowering cabbage and kale, and the list goes on from there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.