Thursday, May 24, 2018

Thrifty Thursday - The Decluttr Edition

One of the things I want to do this year is finally get the clutter in our house under control.   We’ve been making much more of an effort not to bring in things we don’t really need, and to get rid of things we aren’t using.

However, books are a major weakness for both of us.  Nick and I are both readers, but we don’t read the same things.  I mostly read fiction, and a few biographies.  I also have an addiction to cookbooks.  Nick mostly reads non-fiction.  He enjoys reading textbooks as well.  We’re both suckers for a good book sale, which our library has yearly.  Needless to say, the book situation in our house was getting out of control.

Movies are another weakness of ours.  When we were first together we didn’t have cable (still don’t) or any streaming service, but we did have a Blockbuster membership.  We usually bought a few movies a month.  The used ones were always pretty cheap, and we’re both homebodies.  A quiet evening on the couch with a good movie makes us both really happy.  We’d also each get several movies a year as Christmas gifts, so our movie collection has grown quite a bit.

We decided it was time to seriously cull the books and movies.  It was that or get more shelves, which we don’t really have room for.  We each went through our books and pulled out the ones we’ve read and won’t realistically read again.  We also pulled a few that had been given to us that we didn’t have much interest in reading. 

We also went through all of the movies, and grouped them by type.  We pulled the ones that we’re highly unlikely to watch again.  We pulled a few that only one of us like.  Nick got rid of a few horror movies, and I got rid of a few romantic comedy movies. 

By the time we were finished we had amassed a large pile of books and movies.  We were also able to fit the things we kept on our shelves. 

One of my coworkers is beginning to downsize, and told me about Decluttr.  It’s a site where you can sell your books, movies, CDs, and some tech gadgets online.  You can download an app to scan bar codes (I didn’t because there wasn’t room on my phone) or you can manually enter the numbers (I did that, and it’s really not hard).  The site tells you right away if it’s something they’re buying, and what they’re paying for it. 

It works kind of like reverse online shopping.  You scan or enter all of your barcodes, and it puts everything they’ll accept in a cart.  Once you’re finished with that, you process your order.  They pay the shipping, you just print out a packing list, shipping label, package it all up, and send it to them.  We opted to be paid via Paypal since I already had an account, and we received the money in less than a week both times.  We’ve done two shipments to Declutttr.  The first time we received exactly the amount quoted.  The second time we received about twenty cents less than the amount quoted due to a quality issue.  They didn’t specify which item, but I really didn’t think such a small amount was a big deal. 

Selling books and movies to Decluttr is about the fastest and easiest way we’ve found to get rid of the ones we don’t want anymore.  A few thrift stores in our area won’t take them anymore, and it’s kind of a hassle to drive around to different thrift stores dropping different things off.  I like one stop shopping, etc.  I suspect if we had been willing to invest the time we might have been able to sell at least some of the books and movies for more on Amazon or Ebay, but I didn’t really want to take the time to take and upload pictures, and create listings for dozens of books and movies.  For us the goal was more to get rid of things and reduce clutter than to make money.  We did earn enough from our Decluttr payments for dinner out, and to buy our favorite sauces from the restaurant to use at home, so that was definitely a nice perk. 

In case you’re wondering, Howard has not been deemed clutter in need of being shipped off to Decluttr.  Pictures of boxes of movies and books or bookshelves are pretty boring, so I thought I’d take this opportunity to share Howard’s latest meerkat picture with you.  I think he’s adorable in it.

So what about you?  Do the books and movies get out of control at your house?  Do you have a system in place for limiting the amount of books and movies you own?  Have you sold books and movies online?

13 comments:

  1. I had not heard of Decluttr before. I may have to use it. I've got way too many things that I do not need. Although, nowadays all my books are ebooks, so they don't take up any space :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great knowing about that site. Thanks. I really don't have that many books that I hold on to but I have a few. I actually have a few I posted on FB just today to get rid of. I might have to check this out...thanks. So glad that you did not decide to ship Howard off! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently heard about that site and tried it out, but they were only paying about 20 cents for some of the books I entered (popular fiction, but about 10 years old). Our library quit taking books because they have had too many donations. I guess I will just give to charity like Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have around 1000 books on our bookshelves, but they're all ones we might possibly reread. Our rule is that for every book we buy, we send one of our existing ones to the War on Want bookshop down the road. We're quite good at having regular purges of stuff we don't want or need so we don't have that much clutter. I don't know of any equivalent of Decluttr in the UK, but it sounds like a great scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I donate books to the library. Books less than three years old and in excellent conditions will be accepted and the donor receives a receipt for income taxes for the cost of the book at library rates. It’s a win win situation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I complain that my wife is a bit of a hoarder, but throwing away books and cd's and dvd's? I would not be too good at that either. We are not big readers and my books today are all Kindle, so they are not a problem, and cd's and dvd's really don't take up much room so we store them, even though we will probably never watch or listen to most of them again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't heard of Decluttr; I like its services! I don't have any books these days though to sell on them. I have a lot of ebooks which thankfully don't take up much space :)

    Years ago when we lived in Montana, I sold a lot of books on Amazon. A lot of mine, plus CDs and DVDs at the time. I would even go to yard sales and buy books there and list them on Amazon; made quite a bit of money but it is time consuming like you said, got to keep the inventory going, mail out when someone buys an item in a timely fashion, etc. Gave it up when we moved, though it could be an interesting hobby down the line, who knows?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. i could use something like that here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad Howard gets to stick around. I didn't want it to be "Howard's End"!

    This is good to know. I generally take the most current for resale at one of our book stores (less convenient since the location near me closed) and they offer cash or 10 percent more if you take store credit, which I do and save it up for Christmas. Ones they don't want go to the library. But this is a really good idea, and especially for the videos. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We moved in 2016 from a house where we had lived for 27 years. Decluttering was more like a purge. We donated much to GoodWill and to friends. Selling them just didn't work for us then. But, if we had done that 10 years earlier, it would have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Howard is very photogenic! What a great idea Decluttr is. We got rid of a lot of ours in a garage sale.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great way to get rid of extra stuff! I switched to electronic books a few years back, because we just did not have space for any more "real" ones. We are glad Howard is not for sale. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Feel nice to de-clutter doesn't it? I recently got rid of a bunch of DVD and CD's. I recycled the cases and paper parts and the actual discs were given to a local group who uses them for crafts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.