Friday, October 9, 2015

Zucchini Frittata

I’ve been meaning to post this recipe for a while now, and since today is World Egg Day it seems like a good day to finally share it.

I came up with this during the summer when we were being inundated with zucchini. My friend Beth and I had talked about the fact that quiche is a great way to make use of extra vegetables, but were lamenting the fact that while quiche isn’t a complicated dinner to make, it’s also not a quick dinner to make.

I wanted a quiche type meal that allowed for more advance preparation. I decided fear of the crust getting soggy was the biggest problem with prepping a quiche ahead of time, so I went with bread instead of a crust. Not only can it be prepped ahead of time, but it’s also delicious!


Zucchini Frittata:

1 medium zucchini, sliced into thin rounds

1 small onion, thinly sliced

2 slices of bread, crusts removed

9 eggs

1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese

2 Tbsp olive oil

Salt & Pepper to taste

Butter, for greasing a pie pan

Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Saute zucchini and onion with salt and pepper until they’re soft. Remove from heat, and allow to cool.

Generously grease a pie pan with butter. Tear bread slices into small pieces and place in the bottom of pie pan. Layer zucchini and onion over bread.

Beat eggs in a large bowl with salt and pepper. Add cheese and milk. Mix well. Pour mixture into pie pan over bread, zucchini, and onion.

At this point, you can cover and refrigerate it for up to a day, or bake it if you’re ready to enjoy it now.

If you’re baking it now, heat oven to 350, then bake for 45 minutes, or until eggs are set, and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

If you’re planning to bake it later, cover it tightly and store it in the refrigerator for up to a day. When you’re ready to bake it, remove the cover and place the pie dish in a cold oven for ten minutes. Set oven to 350, and bake for one hour, or until eggs are set, and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Enjoy!

So what about you? Are you planning to eat eggs today? What is your favorite egg dish?

4 comments:

  1. It looks delicious; something I might have to make sometime soon :) Most mornings for breakfast I'll have 2 hard boiled eggs with a bit of mayo mixed in. Delicious and actually holds me to lunch time :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like something I could cook! I love eggy dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must not look at the recipe. Must not look at the recipe. (Diet day. Trying to avoid the food is hard on diet day.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I make these all the time and rarely add a crust. Some because of calories (when I'd rather have bread with it lol) and some for ease. It really is a great way to use up random veggies or left over veggies :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.