I’ve been asked more than once why I choose to entertain at home so often. Many people make the argument that it can involve a lot of time, work, energy, and money. They question whether or not the return is worth the investment. For me, it absolutely is.
I love feeding people, I love the look on someone’s face when they realize someone remembered and made their favorite dessert. I love the feeling that friends/family are comfortable in our home and that we can sit around and chat for hours if we choose.
If I took the time to sit down and write them out, there are probably hundreds of reasons why I love entertaining at home, but I’m not going to do that, so here are my top five:
1. Entertaining at home is a great way to get to know someone better. People seem to naturally be more relaxed in a home environment, so you get to know the “real” person.
2. It’s much more budget friendly to invite someone into your home for a simple meal than it is to go out for a similar meal. Budgets don’t always allow going out to eat, but that’s no reason to miss out on the companionship of a shared meal.
3. It makes people feel really good when you choose to invite them into your home. Don’t you feel special when someone likes/values/cares enough about you to invite you into their home? Chances are you can make someone feel really good by extending an invitation.
4. You’re in control of a lot of things. I know, this probably makes me sound really Type A, but fear of certain social situations is a really big deal for a lot of people. At home you’re more able to work with what you’re able to do. If big crowds/loud music/strange or new foods cause you too much stress then you can keep it small/quiet/familiar in your own home.
5. You get to be part of something timeless. Hospitality and entertaining seem to go back as far as recorded history. People seemed to want to socialize and open their homes. My grandmother’s generation could pull a dinner party together without blinking; it was second nature for them. There’s just something wonderful about continuing that.
So what about you? What are your favorite reasons for entertaining at home?