Sunday, December 3, 2023

The Howard Post I Never Wanted to Write

We knew for a while that it was coming, but that didn’t make it any easier.  We had to make the unbearable decision to say goodbye to Howard on November 1st. 



His health had been declining since December of last year, and we said from the beginning that we’d do everything possible as long as Howard seemed happy and like he had a good life. 



He was wobbly on his feet and lost a lot of weight, but seemed happy and not like he was in pain.  Then, he just started to seem like he was never comfortable, and he cried and meowed in a new and different way. 

We took him to the vet, and Dr. D said that even with heroic measures, we wouldn’t buy him much time, and that it wouldn’t be quality time.  She was concerned that if we tried to do anything to prolong his life, Howard would die alone in the hospital.  The one thing Howard hated was being alone, so we knew we were never going to do that to him.  We made the decision to let him go.



Howard drifted off to sleep with Dr. D and the vet tech telling him that he had always been everyone’s favorite and with me and Nick petting him and telling him how much we loved him.  We fed him a chicken churu treat and part of a tuna churu treat right before.  He was purring, and he was loved.  I just hope he knew how much.  Our hearts are broken, but Howard isn’t in pain.



It's hard to capture everything that Howard was in a blog post.  He wasn’t at all what I was looking for when I went to the animal shelter, but he was exactly what I needed.  I went with the intention of adopting a dignified middle-aged cat to be a friend for my dignified middle-aged cat, Edison.  Howard was so many things, but dignified was never one of them.  And he was six months old when I adopted him, so he wasn’t the middle-aged cat I intended to get.  But, when he bounced to the front of the cage as if to say, “Hi, I’m your new best friend,” I knew he was mine. 



Howard’s first year was quite an adventure.  He nearly died from an upper respiratory infection, he ate an earring that had to be surgically removed, ended up in the cone of shame after the earring surgery, experienced an apartment fire, and moved three times, including the move to NC after we met Nick.  Howard wasn’t phased or upset by any of it.



Howard adored his siblings and was always the first pet to welcome any new foster pets or newly adopted pets.  It didn’t matter if they were dogs or cats, young or old, healthy or sick.  Howard loved them all, and cuddled with everyone.  His ashes are next to Duke’s because he loved Duke so much.



Howard loved people as much as he loved other animals.  He greeted everyone who ever came to the house and loved being brushed and petted.  Everyone loved Howard.  Even people who don’t like cats loved Howard.  People would always ask to take pictures of Howard; people here to trick or treat, delivery drivers, repair people.  There are lots of Howard being a meerkat pictures out in the world.  One of the neighbor kids brought his girlfriend to meet Howard because he was the “coolest cat.”  Howard loved people and loved posing for pictures.



It's so weird not having Howard in the house.  You’d think with five other cats, it wouldn’t seem empty, but it does.  I think, of all the other cats, Frankie misses him the most.  They were good friends and liked to cuddle together.  





He was a constant presence in my life for almost 17 years and a constant presence in Nick’s life for almost 16 years.  It’s still weird not having him.  Christmas looks different this year, too.  As you know, I’ve always loved the song, “I Want A Hippopotamus for Christmas.”  We changed it to Howardpotamus and would sing it to him.  The song makes me cry now, instead of smile.  All of the hippopotamus ornaments are packed away because I can’t look at them without crying.  Maybe next year, they’ll make me smile again. 




I know that everyone says the best way to honor a cat you’ve loved and lost is to adopt another cat, but we’re not planning to adopt anyone for now.  We still have five cats, and we actually never intended to have six.  Remember, Charlie and Mortimer arrived as short-term fosters. 

We’re also dealing with some health problems with Frankie.  I’ll post more about that later, but we need to be able to focus on him, not on bringing another cat in the house. 

I have no doubt that we’ll end up with another cat eventually.  We’re always going to have cats, and they have a habit of just coming into our lives (we weren’t looking for Carloine when she arrived in our lives), but now isn’t the right time. 

For now, we’re giving Frankie the extra care he needs and giving all five of the cats extra love and cuddles.  A purring cat is good for the heart and soul.  




11 comments:

  1. Awww, I’m so sad for you guys. Howard was definitely a memorable cat and I was always tickled by his pictures. He certainly knew how to pose. I love that your neighbor brought his girlfriend over to meet Howard. He had a wonderful life with you. Bless you and Nick for all the love and care you gave him❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry. Definitely the most difficult part of loving our pets is letting them go when it's time. You did right by Howard. Clearly he was a special cat to many. I love all your photos of him here. Rest in Peace, Howard

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful tribute to Howard. He was a special cat, and I know he is missed terribly. So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I smiled and cried reading this post, Danielle. Such a lovely tribute to your beloved pet of seventeen years. Such amazing longevity and an amazing life. I think there are animals which don’t realize they are not human. Howard may have been one. I hope, with time, you will be able to take out those ornaments again and enjoy the memories of Howard without tears. Blessings to you this Christmas season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for your loss. And no, there's no reason to get another cat while you're mourning Howard. He's not replaceable. You'll get another friend when the time is right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are so sorry, Danielle. It's clear that Howard was a larger-than-life kind of cat who brought so much love and joy to you all. Thank you for loving him so much. We'll be keeping you all -- especially Frankie -- in our hearts and thoughts. XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Denise, it's the post none of want to read only because we know from the title that it means Howard has gone up to the heavyside layer. I have huge tears in my eyes reading every word and loving every photo. I know how deeply you'll miss your Howardpotamus -- there are certain animals that leave such an impact. THey all do, of course -- and while we shouldn't love one more than the others, some just stand out for so many ways. Howard was the cat for your, as Gypsy was to me. (Those orange boys!) He had a wonderful life, a good life and the best possible "parents" a boy could have who loved him hard and did the right thing when it was the hardest. Sending huge hugs and love your way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How very very sad for you, I know how you're feeling, we had to say good bye to Nell our 14 1/2 year old little cockapoo, we still have weepy times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dears, I have cried reading Howards story. I didn't know him or both of you, but I am glad to know toy now. Thank you so much for visiting my so-called human blog page. My Tuxie girl Katie Isabella has a blog as well. She is oceans more popular than I could ever hope to be. I know the awful pain of losing your baby the Rainbow Bridge. I haven't ever forgotten a moment of my other babies through the years. All cherished Katie is at: https://katieisabella.blogspot.com/ xox

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.