Tuesday, August 6, 2019

“The Little, Nameless, Unremebered Acts of Kindness and Love”

A friend recently posted this Wordsworth quote on Facebook, and talked about how she had noticed a lot of small, generous actions lately, and how they made the world a little brighter.

I wasn’t familiar with the quote, so I looked it up. 

“The best portion of a good man's life is his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.”  William Wordsworth.

The comments on the Facebook post talked about how true goodness lies in the small, selfless acts of kindness that happen every day. 

I love the quote, and some of the comments were thought provoking.  It’s so easy to get hung up on the big picture, and to feel like the small things are insignificant to the point of being meaningless. 

But the small acts do matter.  Whether it’s sharing an umbrella, giving someone a genuine compliment, or holding the elevator for someone.  We all have those days where it seems like nothing we do is right, and everything goes wrong.  Doesn’t it help when someone is unexpectedly kind?  Even if it’s a tiny little thing.  You never know who else is having one of those days, and how much a small thing that seems insignificant to you may mean to them. 

I don’t really have a picture to go with this, and you know that typically means I share a cat picture, so here’s one of Mortimer looking especially cute. 

Have you seen or benefited from any little acts lately?

13 comments:

  1. So meaningful. So very true. Little acts of kindness are actually bigger than the huge acts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I'm in line at a store to check out, I always look around to see if there is anyone with a small amount to purchase and I ask them to go ahead of me. I am very rarely in any sort of hurry, and people seem to appreciate it. I also try to compliment people when I notice something about them: eyes, clothing, purse, etc., but sometimes I worry that they might think I'm creepy! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm like Bijoux. I look around to see if someone needs help or if someone has just a few items in the checkout line. Those little acts really do make a difference in someone's lives. I know I always enjoy a smile from a stranger.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I regularly put carts back in the corrals when they are left throughout the parking lot. It really irritates me and I try to save others from getting dents in their vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful quote. Words to always remember. I like to hold the door for people or let someone go in traffic. Those little things really do matter. Mortimer is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely true, those little acts of kindness can make all the difference to one's mood when everything seems to be going pear-shaped. I was in a coffee shop the other day with a group of people and there was nowhere to sit as the place was jammed. Another large group who had finished their coffees saw our predicament and straightaway vacated their table for us. A nice gesture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry I've been neglecting your blog recently - quite unintentional! I'll visit more regularly as from now....

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's one of those things that can take you out of a bad mood. I don't do it as often as I should.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that quote, Danielle! It's amazing how a smile and a hello, holding a door open for someone, or any other small kindness can change your day ... and the person receiving your kindness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great quote, and a fantastic thing to remember too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Somewhere a long the line I have been missing your post. I need to start blogging from my READ list that tells me when someone post a blog and not from the comments I get. I am with you, the smallest acts of kindness is amazing. It can change a bad day to a special one. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too love that quote and try to practice kindness when looking after my invalid husband, Danielle. I was intrigued by the name Mortimer, it has a long, famous, and infamous history in our country in the Middle Ages 😊

    ReplyDelete
  13. That quote is just beautiful. And I do believe that sometimes the small, unexpected kindnesses are more important and make more of an impact that the big, expected ones. After all, we never know what a stranger's day has been like and even a kind word can sometimes switch things up a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.