Monday, September 16, 2019

Another Random Catch Up Post

I think it’s safe to say that I won’t be meeting my blogging goal for this quarter.  Maybe next quarter.  Anyway, nothing terribly exciting has been going on since my last post, but here are the highlights. 

It has been HOT.  I like the warmer weather, but it has been hotter than I like it.  We’ve broken a few heat records this month.  I don’t want it to be cold, but I wouldn’t mind slightly cooler temperatures.

We had to replace our lawn mower and weed eater.  We went with battery operated ones, and have been very happy with them.  I absolutely hated our last lawn mower.  It weighed about a million pounds, and was extremely hard to start.  The battery one is so light weight, and you just push a button to start it.  It’s better for the environment, my back, and definitely better for my attitude.  The weed eater is the same way.  We actually bought two since we have a lot of weed eating to do in our yard, and each battery only lasts for an hour.  One is incredibly light weight, but not quite as tough.  It’s great for edging.  The other one is a little heavier and does a better job cutting thicker vines, but still a lot lighter than the gas powered weed eater. 

My only complaint is that the batteries all take a while longer to charge than it said they would.  We’ve mostly figured out a system to make sure we’re not waiting around for a battery to charge, and any inconvenience with charging a battery is still much better than dealing with the gas mower and weed eater. 

Our yard is on the smaller side, about a quarter of an acre, so we don’t need that much mowing time.  It might be a different story if you had a huge yard, but if you have a smaller yard, I highly recommend going the battery route for your lawn mower and weed eater. 

I swam a mile last weekend.  I’ve been working on increasing my number of laps.  Last Sunday we had plenty of time, and I decided to go for it.  35.2 laps in the pool at our gym is a mile.  I swam 36.  My time was embarrassingly bad, but I did it.  My arms were pretty sore the next day, so I was glad it was a rest day.  I haven’t done it since then.  We don’t have quite as much time during the week, so my lap count is always lower during the week.  We had a lot going on this past week, so we took yesterday off.  I’m hoping to do it again this Sunday, and hopefully improve my time a little.

Howard has been diagnosed with asthma.  It isn’t severe, and we’re hoping to get it under control so it doesn’t become severe.  He sounded wheezy, and when we took him to the vet she confirmed that he has asthma.  We started Howard off on an inhaler, but he didn’t tolerate it well at all.  Getting stressed out over the inhaler can trigger an asthma attack, so we stopped using it. 

Our vet put him on a bronchodilator medication and steroids.  The steroids are temporary, just to help get it under control.  Steroids can cause weight gain (among other issues) and since Howard is a rotund fellow our vet doesn’t want him on steroids long term.  The bronchodilator will be the long term treatment.  It’s only a quarter of a pill, so Howard doesn’t even seem to notice it in his pill pockets.  He loves the tuna and cheese flavored pill pockets, so doesn’t seem to be bothered by taking his medication.  It’s still early to tell, but his breathing sounds a little better. 

It has been a little over a year since we brought Charlie and Mortimer home as our Hurricane Florence fosters.  I think we all knew how that was going to end.  And I’m so glad they’re ours.  They
were both super cuddly yesterday, and we all enjoyed a lazy Sunday at home. 

So how have things been for you?  Has it cooled off, or is it still really hot? 

15 comments:

  1. Hello, and well done with the swimming. On this side of the pond we have suffered from warmer weather but nothing like you have had to put up with, and of course we are now into the beginnings of autumn, my favourite time of year. Sorry to hear about the asthma, I didn’t realise animals suffered in that way, but why not, in that weather. Hope you improve your time on Sunday 🌹 https://lostinimaginaryworlds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It hasn't cooled off much here. I have a new granddaughter, so that's what's been happening here.

    I hate mowing the yard. Our back is mostly woods and a rock wall, so not much to cut. Our front yard is a hill, so it's difficult to cut. I have never used the weed wacker, but ours have always been electric that you plug in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Good for you. A mile in the pool is quite a feat! Well done!

    It’s 11C here and raining and windy. Cold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying to picture having a cat use an inhaler and I just can't imagine how they could do it. I can see why it would be stressful. Glad there are other means to try to control Howard's asthma. We don't have much of a lawn but hubby uses a weed wacker to take care of it every other week if we don't get a lot of rain which we don't LOL living in a desert. Its hot here but it won't cool down until end of next month maybe but it is cooler than it was in July so that is a blessing :) Not much new here. Hubby is going to retire at the end of the year so that will mae life interesting.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my blog!! I love your kitties - so sweet. Sorry about Howard's asthma and hope he gets better. We just bought a battery weed eater this summer and my husband says he likes it. I will cut the grass as a last resort, but I refuse to weedeat, lol! It is still super hot here in Louisiana -- heat index over 100.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Betty, "I'm trying to picture having a cat use an inhaler and I just can't imagine how they could do it. I can see why it would be stressful." Our dog Disco just got off steroids for ear issues, hot spots, his feet, skin - he was a mess. He is on a daily allergy pill too. Thanks for stopping by. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would love your email address so when you visit my blog and post I can write you a comment back.
    I have a good friend near Cary, NC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was a kid, our electric lawnmower had a cord. A very long cord. My brother hated mowing the lawn...

    We're only now starting to cool off. I wonder how long that'll last.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am SO impressed with your mile. I didn't get anywhere close this summer -- bad weather at the lake. But wow. Very big wow!

    How do cats do bronchodialators? I keep thinking of inhalers and how that would work. I hope the treatment is easy and successful. It's so worrying when our furbies get sick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our lawn mower and weed eater (string trimmer or strimmer over here!) are both electric (from the mains) and both very light and easy to use. I try to avoid anything battery-driven because I hate all the recharging.

    I had no idea cats could get asthma. Glad to hear it's under control and Howard doesn't notice the pills.

    Maximum temperature here in Belfast is about 25C so we never get too hot! We're about to go to Nova Scotia so we'll be used to the lower temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey...good to catch up. Lost contact with y ou for a bit. Two new additions....awesome. I actually added three dogs to my home in Jan....my mom past and I told her that I would make sure they were cared for. One however did not like me and I ended up after several months of passing her to my brother. The older past with cancer 1.5 months ago. So that leaves me with her eight yr old, my 12 yr old and my cat Lily Bit that is 2. Life has been a mess. Temps are CRAZY here in Tn. 98 yesterday and 92 today. I am so ready for fall....not winter but fall. Good connecting with you again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's thankfully cooled off some here. Hope it does with you soo too.

    Gread about your new mower and hedge trimmers. Aslo, great job on the swimming.

    Sorry about Howard's asthma. Hope you can keep it under control, and he continues to be happy to take his pill.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice to see you! Looks like we both don't blog as much as we intend lol! Good for you with the swimming! I am working on running until the snow flies!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for catching us up, Danielle! So proud of you for swimming a mile -- WOW, that is really cool. :)

    And Charlie and Mortimer ... has it been a whole year? We are glad they are there with you, too.

    Purrs and prayers for Howard, and his asthma.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful cats, such cute pets☺

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.