Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Kumato Tomato Quiche

I first saw Kumato tomatoes in Aldi a couple of years ago, and decided to give them a try since I had never heard of them.  They’re now my favorite tomato.  They’re not the easiest tomato to find.  I can’t usually find them anywhere other than Aldi, and Aldi doesn’t always have them.  I make sure I buy them whenever they’re available.

You can read a little more about them here if you’re not familiar, and prefer to learn about them before you try them. 

















Kumato tomatoes are delicious!  I love them in salads, on tuna sandwiches, on bagels with garlic and herb cream cheese, and in this quiche.  Really, I haven’t found a way I don’t like them.  Don’t worry, if you don’t have Kumato tomatoes you can substitute Roma tomatoes in this recipe. 

Kumato Tomato Quiche

1 prepared pie crust

2 garlic cloves, pressed

1 onion, thinly sliced

1 tsp olive oil

9 eggs

½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese

3/4 cup cottage cheese

1/4 cup half and half

1 tsp basil, plus a little more for sprinkling

½ tsp oregano, plus a little more for sprinkling

Salt & pepper to taste

2 - 3 Kumato tomatoes, thinly sliced, OR Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced

Heat the olive oil in a small frying pan, over medium heat, and saute the onion, with the garlic, and a little salt, just until the onions begin to brown.  Remove from heat, and allow to cool.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, and stir in the cheeses, half & half, basil, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.

Spread the pie crust into a pie dish, and lightly sprinkle with some basil and oregano.


Once the onions have cooled completely, stir them into the egg mixture.  If you add hot onions to the egg mixture you will end up with a really gross partially scrambled egg concoction, so make sure they’re cool before you add them.

Pour the egg/onion mixture into the pie crust.

Top with the tomato slices.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 50 - 60 minutes, until set through.  Test the middle with a small knife or toothpick to make sure it comes out clean.

Enjoy!


Have you tried Kumato tomatoes?  What is your favorite kind of tomato?


15 comments:

  1. I enjoy Kumatoes when I can get them. Romas, grape, cherry, any type really are ok with me. I would love that recipe but I may have developed an allergy to eggs. I don’t know if I am brave enough to try them again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for stopping by my post today. we live in Florida about 10 miles from tomato farms, we just buy local ripe tomato. in Walmart they have ugly and ripe and I love those when they have them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Purple Cherokee, like your mater, not the prettiest mater but YUMMY! Got four on the vine that I can’t wait till they turn. I purchased some home grown at the market, can’t do the often, five cost me six bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yum. Like Pam, I like purple Cherokee, but this year our favorite from the garden has been super fantastic. The tops don't really ripen, but the rest is firm and tasty. That reminds me, I have a bunch on the counter that need frozen and/or turned into salsa or something. These sound interesting. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good. I'm not a big tomato fan, and no, I've never tried Kumato tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love quiche. I'm going to try this recipe. Thank you and thanks for visiting Comedy Plus.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this recipe! I don't think I've tried the Kumato tomatoes. I'll have to look to see if our store carries them. I get tired of tomatoes quickly, especially if we are dieting, which we are, so maybe trying something new would be a good thing!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there-- so nice to meet you and glad you stopped by!-- hope you come hack often! This cemetery is on Archdale. Its one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. BACK often-- not hack often!!! Ha ha ha LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not a tomato lover but I will try any food before saying I don't like it. If I see this in my local store or market I might just try them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quiche recipe looks delicious, Danielle. We have seen kumatoes before, but have never tried them before. We will have to now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks really good! Thanks for the recipe and also the heads up on the kumatoes. I hadn't heard of them but may have to give Aldi a visit while I'm here at the lake and one is so convenient!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I've had them at restaurants, but have never bought any myself. Your dish looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.