Friday, November 15, 2013

The Difference One Centimeter Can Make

I went for my follow up MRI to check the status of the hepatic adenomas on October 25th.  I tried really, really hard not to dwell on what the results might be.  Worrying and obsessing (even though I excel at both) doesn’t change anything.  We also had a lot of other things going on; Halloween, a trip to Indiana to see my in-laws, and visits with friends.
Yesterday I had the appointment with my doctor to get the MRI results.  At first, the MRI report said that there were no significant changes, and there was talk of scheduling a consultation with a surgeon (which I absolutely do not want) but then the nurse read me some of the measurements, and they were smaller.
We asked the doctor about that, and he said that a different radiologist had written this report, so there was some confusion as to which mass was which and how they’d been measured.  He called and spoke with a radiologist and compared the MRI from six months ago to the one from two weeks ago, and it turns out that the three problem (biggest) masses have all shrunk!
In April, the largest mass measured 5.6 centimeters at the largest point, now the largest mass measures 4.6 centimeters at the largest point.  I never would have thought that one centimeter would be the difference between jubilation and despair.  The biggest difference that one centimeter makes is that now they’re all below five centimeters, which is typically the cutoff at which surgery becomes more and more of a necessary evil.
I’m not home free yet, but things definitely seem to be improving.  I have to go for another MRI in six months to make sure things continue as they are.  The risk of the masses rupturing and bleeding is still there, but is lessened as they become smaller and smaller.  I still have to avoid hormones, soy, blood thinners, and any trauma to my right side.
We had a very long talk with the doctor, and came to the consensus that being conservative and taking a wait and see approach is still the best option.  Clearly, what I’ve been doing is working to some extent.  The surgery carries a lot of risks, and because this problem is so rare there are a lot of unknowns about what happens five, ten, fifteen years after the surgery. Having found myself of the generation of women who are finding out what happens after the prolonged use of birth control pills, I’d rather not be part of the test group for finding out what happens after this surgery. 
I need to continue to lose weight.  I’ve sort of fallen off the weight loss wagon lately, but my doctor says that losing weight will help no matter what happens.  I’m definitely keeping up my acupuncture appointments.  After all, the acupuncturist was the first person to make the connection, and I really think the acupuncture has contributed to the shrinkage.  So for the next six months, I will continue with acupuncture, make better (soy free) food choices, try to exercise more, and hope for another centimeter of shrinkage because one centimeter can make a world of difference.

12 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you! Good luck with the lifestyle changes you're making.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thankful to you for sharing this story! There is so much we need to know about anything we take in (foods, medicines, even vitamins and supplements) and doctors don't share nearly as much as we need to know.

    I also had an abdomen MRI followed by a PET scan earlier this year because my liver enzymes were high and they saw a shadow near my pancreas. Turned out to be a fatty liver (not proud of that) but my enzyme levels came down to normal in 6 months by stopping my 2x daily prescription pain medicine & substituting something else for cymbalta. Doctors don't know which caused the elevation, but apparently both can, so it's moot. Also, OTC pain medicines, if taken enough, can mess with liver enzymes, and can raise blood pressure too.

    Good luck to you, and keep healthy and safe. There is nothing wrong with sharing personal stuff here. Many of us will benefit from your candor, perhaps even my younger daughter. I never knew the BC pill or soy connection to those problems. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really struggled with how much to share, so it's really nice to know that the information might help someone. It's just scary what some of the side effects can be from medications. Good luck to you to you in dealing with and recovering from your health issues!

      Delete
  3. Well, it certainly sounds like things are moving in the right direction! I'm very happy for you, and hope this trajectory continues. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. woot! That's awesome!! Yay! And whew yeah it's amazing such a tiny measurement can mean so much! So glad to hear things are going the right direction :)

    I'm doing the healthy eating here too. Some friends started up a FB weightloss/get healthy support group and it's helping. Decided it's finally time to make some changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, I never thought a centimeter could make me sooo happy. :-) Good luck to you with your changes.

      Delete
  5. I went back and read that post from May, Danielle. What an ordeal you have been dealing with. I am glad you shared your story; as hard as it might be. Who knows who might stumble across it at some time that has hepatic adenomas too, rare as they are, but can see that they aren't alone out there. Glad to hear there was shrinkage and that the efforts you did to improve your health had some affect on it! May the next 6 months' scan show similarly good results!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do hope that my sharing might help someone else. I'm hoping for at least another centimeter! :-)

      Delete
  6. oh, I'm SO glad to hear the hear the good news. :) continuing to send more good thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And thanks for the continued good thoughts. :-)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.