Monday, March 11, 2024

Catching Up

I didn’t mean to go quite so long in between posts, so this is a little bit of a catch-up post. 

Thank you for all of your kind comments about Frankie.  I love that people who never met him cared about him.  He was special, and we miss him a lot. 

I am so happy that we’ll be having more daylight now.  And very hopeful that warm weather won’t be far behind.  I’m not a fan of the cold weather or the shorter days, and it seems like January and February are rarely good. 

On January 9th, we had torrential rain.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen that much rain at one time.  Our crawlspace flooded and shorted out the sump pump and furnace.  It took several days to get the crawlspace dried out enough for the HVAC company to even access the furnace. 

Here’s some video of the first day Nick set up a portable sump pump.  We bought a portable one to keep on hand for future storms, and since we didn’t know the status of the one installed under the house and there was more rain in the forecast. 


And here’s a video I took after the portable sump pump had been running for over 24 hours. 


It was a lot of water!

The HVAC company came out again when we thought we’d pumped out enough water to access the furnace, but after some more rain, they still couldn’t get to it.  They were able to access the sump pump and were nice enough to get it working again, which helped pump the water out sooner.  It’s the same company that the technician who remembered Duke after rigging up a temporary cooling system so Duke wouldn’t get too hot works for.  They are awesome. 

When the same technicians came back for the third time during the furnace underwater fiasco, we fixed up a bag of snacks for them since they had been so nice.  (It’s just one bag; just pictures of both sides.)   They seemed really surprised and happy with it.  I’m always happy when I can feed people.



The flooding had shorted out a circuit board in the furnace, and they had to order a replacement.  They were awesome about looking for ways to get it cheaper, and we ended up spending about half of what the highest cost would have been.  Like I said, they’re awesome.

By the time everything dried out and the part came in, it was January 19th before the furnace was fixed, which was just in time for temperatures that dropped down to the single digits.  Being without heat for ten days definitely wasn’t fun, but it wasn’t as bad as it could have been.  Our neighbors loaned us a space heater, and we bought two additional space heaters.  The house was chilly but not unbearable.  We weren’t comfortable with the idea of both of us leaving the house with the space heaters on, and we didn’t want to turn them off and leave the cats at home to be cold.  So, we had to do some schedule rearranging.  I turned a few usual office days into work-from-home days, and took a day off on a day that I had to be in the office.  January is one of my busiest months at work, so I’m glad Nick was able to take the day to be at home. 

One of the things that goes on at work in January is an annual meeting that covers mandatory training and any policy updates.  They also present awards named our motto of RITE (Relevant.  Innovative.  Timely.  Engaging).  Anyone in our organization can nominate someone for each category.  I was pleasantly surprised to be a recipient of the Engaging Award for my work on some of our programs.  It was a nice confidence boost!  All of my coworkers have a lot more education and experience than I do, and most of my work is the behind-the-scenes type.  So, it meant a lot to me that they nominated me. 

Work has been really busy for both of us.  Nick does a fair amount of teaching this time of year (in addition to his usual job) for mandatory training that has to be done.  Due to a shortage of people, he has done even more lately.  We’re short-staffed at my job, too, and I got assigned to a project that will last most of the year, with most of my part being toward the beginning of the project.  It’s a mix of terrifying and exciting to be involved in.  I’m learning a lot, which is always a good thing. 

The middle of February brought what we’re pretty sure was the flu.  Nick started getting sick the third weekend of the month, and I thought I had dodged it up until the following Thursday.  We didn’t get tested for the flu, but our symptoms matched, and our COVID tests were negative.  I did a home test, and Nick had to take one when he went back to work.  That one was apparently also supposed to test for if you had recently had COVID and was negative.  So we’re calling it the flu.  We’re both back at work and feeling better; we're just still coughing some and really tired. 

Charlie is the world’s best cuddle buddy and was very happy with the amount of time I spent in the recliner under blankets. 



Despite everything that went on in January and February, we did have two fun days of outings to parks.   I’ll post about those soon.  In the meantime, here’s a peek at one of the trails at Fort Ninety-Six. 


How were January and February for you?  Are you happy about the longer days and warmer weather? 

11 comments:

  1. I am definitely happy about more light and warmer weather. However, I always miss whatever season we've just had. For winter I miss the starker landscape even though I love the spring flowers. You certainly have had several highs and lows over the last couple of months. Here's hoping you have smooth sailing for the next couple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand about sump pumps. Homes and businesses on PEI all have sump pumps. We have a double one in our basement and 7 more back-ups for the backyard which we don’t need now. We spent $12,000 on a French drain to prevent water coming in through the ground level windows and back door in the basement. My husband holds on to all the pumps in the meantime though the drain works perfectly. We’ve had a lot of wet weather the last month too and everything was dry.

    I am glad your workers were so good to you and that you came through as well as you did.

    Charlie is a beauty and I love the look of that trail!

    Take care, Danielle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had an eventful couple of months! No heat for 10 days really makes one appreciate a working furnace, I bet.
    We had some crud virus back in January. Not sure if it was mild flu or a bad cold, but I'm glad it's over.
    Yay for warmer temps and more sunlight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a disaster. Glad you got it sorted eventually. I was working on the perfect project for you then--a warm afghan. I hope your work project is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh. All that water in your crawlspace! Glad you were able to dry it out enough for those wonderful HVAC guys to come and get you all set. It was so nice of you to make some snacks for them -- you are so thoughtful, and we bet that made their day.

    Congratulations on your award at work! You obviously work hard and really care about what you do, and I'm glad you were recognized.

    We, too, are super happy for more daylight. Now, please go enjoy some more cuddle time with handsome Charlie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, longer days and warmer weather couldn't come soon enough for me. I hate shivering my way through the winter! So many people nowadays are complaining about staff shortages, but you seem to be coping quite well with the extra workload. Glad you sorted out the flooding crisis without spending a fortune. Charlie looks like a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear from you! January and February were unseasonably warm here in Northern Ohio. We did still need a furnace!! I am so glad you have a company you can trust to do the best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The flu really did a number on me this year. I hope you’re feeling back to normal now. Congrats on the award! You are a positive person, so I imagine you are wonderful to work with.

    Sorry about the flooded crawl space and all that went with it. We had a terrible time with basement flooding at our old house. Ruined a dryer and a freezer on separate occasions. Fortunately, when we got a new furnace, they built it up a little higher from the floor. I’m glad you found good HVAC guys and gave them such a generous treat bag.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you have Charlie to cuddle with. I'm sure you needed him big time with all that was going on. Oh, Denise -- I really feel your home pain. Yours was ever so much worse than what I've been dealing with (and that is MORE than enough). Nothing -- absolutely nothing -- is worse than water, and the outdoor weather sure didn't help. I love that you made a happy packet for your workers -- I'm sure they were very impressed (and if you need them again, I'm sure they'll drop everything to help you out!). And congratulations on the Engagement Award. I'm not at all surprised but it is so wonderful to be recognized by your peers. Three cheers on that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello and welcome back. Sorry to hear about you sweet looking kitty. People have an open love for critters, known or not known. It is not easy to lose a little one, esp one so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear about your water woes. Our basement flooded two weeks ago and we are still dealing with the fall out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.