Tuesday, July 19, 2022

We Have a Refrigerator!

I think a refrigerator is definitely one of those things that we tend to take for granted.  Sure, we use it every day, and it’s probably the biggest thing in the kitchen, but as long as it’s doing its job, it’s not something you really think about.  Take it away, though, and that’s very noticeable.

I’m very happy to say that our new refrigerator arrived on Thursday as scheduled.  And it is delightfully cold!  That is definitely the most important part.  Aesthetically, I’m not one hundred percent sure I love the stainless steel.  I think I may prefer white appliances overall.  Though I’m never quick to embrace change, so I may eventually love the stainless steel.  The front of the refrigerator isn’t magnetic, which I do like.  A lot.  I think it looks much neater without a bunch of stuff on the front of it.  The sides are magnetic, so we can still put some things on it. 

I love that the freezer has a solid shelf instead of a wire one.  The old one had a wire shelf, and it seemed like things were always getting caught in it.

This refrigerator only has two drawers, so I’m probably going to end up getting some more bins or baskets to help keep things organized.  I’m very happy that the two drawers can be set for fruits or vegetables.  I’m hoping that will help prevent the drawers from becoming a produce graveyard. 


The door shelves in the new fridge seem sturdier than the ones in the old fridge.  Though, that may just be because they’re not very full yet.  Time will tell, I guess. 

The butter/dairy section in this one is bigger than it was in our old one, which is good.  We don’t actually keep butter here; we use it for Howard’s insulin and any other pet medication or food that needs to be refrigerated.  So it’s very convenient that it’s a little bigger than the old one.


And that concludes the grand tour of our new refrigerator. 

I’m still very excited to have a working refrigerator again.  And the silver lining to losing everything from the old refrigerator is that I’m starting from a blank slate.  There are currently no “oops, I really shouldn’t have bought that” items to contend with and no “yes, we did have an opened container of XYZ, so now we have two (or more)” issues.  Now I just need to keep it that way!

How do you keep your refrigerator and/or freezer organized; bins, baskets, drawers?  Have you found a great system? 

8 comments:

  1. I like it Danielle! Glad it came and wasn't backordered or anything like that! We sort of hodgepodge everything in the fridge/freezer. No rhyme or reason except we put of course produce in the produce bins, meat in the meat bins, etc. Enjoy your new fridge! And may it last many a year!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haphazard is the way here. Glad you finally have a freezer again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! We have the two drawers for produce and a long skinny drawer under them where I keep cheese. I don’t use any extra bins or baskets, I just keep stuff organized by item (yogurt in one place, condiments in one place).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy that you have your new fridge and it looks good. We have a new fridge and I'm still getting used to it--particularly the doors which are hard to open. I think it's part of the energy efficiency features, but annoying all the same. But the important thing, as you pointed out, is that it's cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice that it came on time. (I have heard so many stories of people who ordered things that then got delayed.) I'm personally not a fan of stainless steel either, but you may grow to love it. And you got to start with a blank slate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our fridge is super old, but it still works. We love your new and shiny (and cold) one! Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad your new fridge came on time and is doing its job. Personally I keep from having the issue of several things in there that are either duplicated open items or needed to be used up and I didn't notice by checking what I have on hand before I do my shopping all the time, and double-checking fruits and veggies each day so I can prioritize what needs using today and what can be left for another day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.