Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Things Certainly Have Changed

Well, it turns out that if you wait almost two months in between posts the entire world can change.  I don’t think any of us ever thought we’d be living through anything like this.  Is there anyone whose life hasn’t changed due to the coronavirus?

There were a few things that happened in between my last post and now that aren’t coronavirus related:

We saw Les Miserables at the Peace Center in Greenville, SC.  It’s one of Nick’s favorites.  As some of you know, he’s a Christmas Eve baby, but his mom has always been great about keeping his birthday separate from Christmas.  For his 2019 birthday she gave us tickets for the show (on March 6th) and dinner at the Melting Pot.  It was nice to have something really special to look forward to all winter.  Now, it was especially nice.  That  was the last weekend before social distancing entered our lives. 

At least it was a spectacular weekend.  Dinner was amazing.  The show was incredible, and we had great seats.  It was also nice to have an occasion to get dressed up for.  We’re pretty casual most of the time, so it was a nice change.

I got an office at work.  It may not be a big deal to most of you, but I’ve spent the past 16 years in cubicles or shared offices, and haven’t had a window for the vast majority of that time.  To be given my very own office, with lots of windows, was incredible.  Someone at work said I was literally glowing the day they told me I was getting the office. 

I also got to paint the office any color I wanted.  The rule is that if you want a particular color you have to buy the paint, but the maintenance staff will paint it.  You are not responsible for getting it repainted if you leave or move offices.  Whenever someone gets an office they have the choice to take it as is or buy paint.  Mine has burgundy carpet, so my color choices were a little limited.  I went with a pastel pink.  It’s called Art Deco Pink.  You can see it here.  On the walls it looks very soft and cheerful.  I love it.

I don’t think very many people thought I was serious when I said I was going with pink.  It’s a very male-dominated place, so there have been a few double-takes when people walk by my office.  Almost everyone else who opted to paint their office went with a dark/dreary color.  I think my cheerful pink is a much better choice.

I got to work in my lovely pink office for exactly two weeks before North Carolina went to “strongly encouraging” everyone who possibly could to telework.  We all have laptops, and the vast majority of my work can be done from home.  March 13th was the last day we were all in the office. 

North Carolina has yet to issue any “stay home” or “shelter in place” order, though lots of people predict that’s coming, and some towns and counties already have.  Our restrictions/social distancing measures seem to be being rolled out a little at a time.  Schools were closed for two weeks, now I think it’s through the middle of May.  Restaurants had no restrictions, now it’s takeout/drive thru or delivery only.  Maximum gathering size keeps going down, and more types of businesses are being told to close.  I don’t know if they’re trying to ease us in gently, or if they’re trying to wait as long as possible to do anything drastic. 

Mortimer supervising my work.
Nick’s job is in a branch of the emergency services and is considered essential, so he’s still working his normal schedule.  They did close his building to the public beginning today, which I’m very glad about.

Working from home has been very different.  I don’t like it as much as I thought I would.  I’m not trying to complain, and I know I’m very fortunate to still be working, and to have the option to work from home.  I thought I would love it, but mostly I’m ready to go back to work.

I’m sure part of that is the fact that going back to the office will (hopefully) signal a return to normalcy, and an end to the current pandemic. 

I also always thought I was an introvert, but according to this quiz, I’m an ambivert.  I prefer small groups, but I’m not a complete loner.

Caroline wants in my work space NOW!
And a big part of it is that Nick still has to go to work, so there’s no human company during the day.  To an extent, I also feel guilty.  It doesn’t make sense.  I know that everyone who stays home helps flatten the curve and limit the exposure for people who are essential workers and do have to go out.  It makes sense.  And I’ll stay home as long as the experts say we need to, and my job will allow us to.  But I still feel a terrible sense of guilt to think that I’m tucked away safely  at home while people like Nick and my sister have to go out every day.  Have any of you experienced that?  Or am I just handling social distancing even worse than I thought?

On a lighter note, I’ve learned that our cats make terrible coworkers.  Caroline is positive that I’m now staying home every day in order to finally lavish her with the love and attention she requires.  She cannot begin to understand what could possibly take my time and attention away from her.  I’ve started locking the cats out of the room during my working hours.  They still manage to express their displeasure.  What about you?  Are your pets terrible coworkers? 

I have been cooking more, which has been nice.  Normally weekday breakfasts aren’t anything exciting, but now I have more time, so I’ve been making us breakfast in the morning.  It’s the little things right? 

One of my friends started a cooking group on Facebook.  It’s called Quarantine Cuisine.  People are sharing recipes and ideas to help use whatever you have on hand.  It’s a very supportive and happy group.  I believe anyone on Facebook can join.  The cover photo is strawberries spelling out “LOVE”, if you’re interested in looking for it. 

So what about you? Most importantly, are you well?  What kind of social distancing is in place for you? How are you handling it?  Are you an introvert, extrovert, or ambivert? 

9 comments:

  1. Staying at home is very weird when I'm used to going out and about. I shall be even more introverted than usual. I'm doing a lot of reading, TV watching, listening to music, and of course blogging and Facebooking. I think everyone will be greatly relieved when the pandemic is over and we can all get back to normal life. Sounds like you're coping pretty well with homeworking. I like the idea of Quarantine Cuisine. I must see if there's anything similar here in Belfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a homebody most of the time, hating cocktail parties and the like. Staying at home hasn’t been a problem. I enjoy the outdoors and walks are wonderful. Being retired mean no work ever more and that’s fine by me.

    I hope with time you settle in to the way of and routine for homeworking so the experience is more pleasant for you Danielle.

    Our daughter is a nurse in a seniors’ home and I worry about her contracting the virus herself or passing it on to the fragile residents or her children. We have stayed away from her and the kids too. That’s the hardest part of the whole experience for us. FaceTime helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your own office! In this day and age is a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome about getting an office! I like the color!

    We are on lockdown here. Only allowed to go to pharmacy and grocer. It's been boring, to say the least. My husband's birthday was yesterday so I made a cake from scratch and homemade pasta sauce. Sadly, we're just living for food now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pink! Well done, you!

    Don't feel guilty about being home and here's why I think so. First, you are protecting yourself, you are protecting others. That's critical. Second, in being there, you are still working (not everyone can). Also, Nick is probably doing some extremely dangerous work, especially in these challenging times. And to have you there safe is probably a) a big comfort to him and b) nice to know he can come home and relax, feel safe, enjoy all that cooking you are doing. I view all of us as support services in this time, even if we are only supporting each other who are isolated.

    We're in lockdown -- pharmacy and grocery. It's much like my regular life so no real dif for me except I would really like to meet up with friends for lunch. I haven't seen anyone but Rick (and yappy Lizzie, of course) since March 16 and probably for at least a month more. I don't mind because I'm very self contained; there is plenty to do here (I'm not really doing as much as I should and if I have any guilt it's that -- NOT cleaning the basement, downsizing, sweating to the oldies!). Don't allow guilt. You don't deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty much a homebody, but there's something about being able to get out that helps. I get cranky when I'm stuck in too long. Time for some long walks...

    I know the guilt you're feeling. It's easy to say don't, harder to do. Good luck. Working is good. When the schools closed, my job evaporated with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice to see an update from you! what a pretty color for your office walls when you get to enjoy it more! It is so good to have a window; I loved it when I was working from home and had the front window to look out of; got to know the neighborhood well. Now I am back to working at home but the room I'm in the blinds don't work so no window but plans to fix them soon.

    Don't feel guilty. Its hard not to when loved ones are out there at risk but that's their job, something they might have known when they took the job.

    My former coworker was a great coworker when I worked at home. Koda stayed out of my way except at lunch time when he would nudge me that it was time for lunch as he got a treat then. Can't try to work with Winslow yet; he is all puppy. I would never get anything done or would have to crate him a lot so I'm glad hubby is retired and can spend the time with him. I like crates but try to limit crate time for sleeping and when we leave the house.


    Sounded like a lovely birthday celebration for Nick. Glad you guys got to enjoy it before social isolation came to be. I do like the Melting Pot as we have one here.

    This too will pass; just remember it!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your new office. That is so cool! I remember when I got my first office, and it was really exciting! :)

    Sorry you can't be in it right now. But working from home and sheltering in place is the right thing to do. Our state (Connecticut) is on shelter in place, as is NY, where I work. We are all working from home, and my team and organization has been really good with connecting and communicating. But, yes, it is a huge adjustment. Gracie and Ava are rally good co-workers, actually (and thankfully). Be well, and stay safe, okay? Thinking of you and Nick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your office, and good choice to go with a cheerful colour. I hope you can soon get back to working in it.

    Pets are often terrible co-workers. But they're great for when you need breaks, and for offering comfort at times like this. Mine are used to me being home all the time trying to get things done, but still don't always co-operate. Little tip though: give them - especially the more energetic of them - some enthusiastic playtime right before you want/need to get some work done. They're usually then happy to settle for a while, leaving you to get some work done in peace.

    The being stuck at home I'm handling just fine. I rarely go out anyhow. The uncertainties and how people are behaving in their panic... Yeah, I'm not doing so well with that.

    Stay safe and well. Hope Nick stays safe out there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.