Friday, January 31, 2020

Happy New(ish) Year!

You can still say Happy New Year in January, right?  Even if it’s the very last day of January?  Anyway, I hope 2019 ended well for all of you, and that you’re all having a great start to 2020.

I meant to do at least a few posts in December, but as usual time got away from me.  I had a few projects at work to finish up, and the usual holiday stuff just seemed to take over beyond that.  Here
are the highlights since the last time I posted:

An oldie but a goody:  Howard the meerkat.
We had our holiday meal at work.  It was a lunchtime potluck in mid-December.  I really like how the new job does it.  There aren’t many nearby options for lunch so almost everyone brings their lunch almost every day.  So bringing food to work and eating it there wasn’t really an inconvenience for anyone.  And I loved that it was during the workday.  It’s so much better than trying to fit in yet another event after work or on the weekend during the holidays.  And the food was awesome, which I’m sure contributed to my good opinion of it.  I got a few new recipes I’m looking forward to trying.  I brought macaroni and cheese, which went over very well. 

Nick and I went to my sister’s for Christmas.  It was just the three of us this time.  Nick’s mom and step-dad weren’t able to come because one of their cats was extremely sick, and they couldn’t leave him.  Fortunately, he’s doing much better now.  Our friend Alex ending up going to Florida to be with her family.  It was a little odd without our usual group, but the three of us still had a great time.  We’re working on putting together a second Christmas so everyone can get together to see each other and exchange gifts.

I bought a camera.   A nice one.  I’ve been toying with the idea for a long time.  I took pictures for a Realtor for a couple of years while I was going to school, and I fell in love with taking pictures.  I’ve never had any formal classes or training, but I love it, and I’ve dabbled with trying to improve my skills over the years.  I’ve never taken the plunge on a good camera, though.

One of my coworkers, Doc, has a degree from an art school and has done professional photography.  He was nice enough to look at some of my pictures (taken with a cellphone) and offered me some pointers that have been helpful.  He also said I have a good eye and have potential.  One really good Cyber Monday sale later, I was the proud owner of a new camera. 

Doc showed me a few things with the camera, and has sent me out into the world to practice.  He has promised to look at my pictures and tell me what’s working, what isn’t, and how to get them to turn out how I want them to.  I haven’t had as much time as I had hoped to experiment, but I think that will change now that the holidays are over.  You’ll probably be seeing more pictures from me.  Hopefully you’ll also notice an improvement in the quality. Just FYI, the pictures in this post are the usual cellphone pictures.

Nick’s mom sent the cats some catnip bananas for Christmas.  All six of the cats absolutely love them.  Tara loves them, which made me so happy.  Tara was a few years old when we adopted her, and had an extremely hard life.  She’s still very skittish around people.  Some days seem better than others, and lately she seems to be really coming out of her shell.  She loves the bananas so much that she came out and played with them, and even let me get some pictures of her playing with one.

Tara

 It snowed today.  It started off light around mid-morning, and then started coming down heavily.  We have the option to work at home during bad weather, so I panicked, took my laptop home, and finished up my work for the day at home.  I’m a South Carolina native, and we don’t handle snow well!  It’ supposed to get warmer this evening, so the snow should all be gone by tomorrow.  I certainly hope so!  Nick sees this as a dusting.  I see it as accumulation.   I think most of you who read and comment regularly live in colder climates, so I suspect most of you will see it as a dusting like Nick does. 

The view down our street. 
In my defense, it did snow some more after this picture was taken.

We had a Crock Pot cooking competition at work last week for a fundraiser.  I entered my macaroni and cheese.  I came in second place.  Obviously, first place would have been great, but I don’t think second place is too bad. 

Duke had surgery a couple of weeks ago.  He had two cysts on the top of his head that needed to be removed.  He also had some broken teeth that needed to be pulled.  The vet thinks he probably broke the teeth chewing hard on something.  Given everything Duke gets into, I think that’s an excellent explanation.  He did well with the surgery, and is recovering nicely.  Duke is pretty popular at the vet’s office, so I know he was treated very well.  He insisted on going around to tell everyone bye before we left.  He did manage to look very pitiful the next day, and convinced us to give him quite a few treats. 

Duke

Nothing else is really coming to mind that merits posting about.  It always seems strange to me how the end of the year seems insanely busy, but whenever I try to list what we did there’s just not much.  Does that happen to you? 

So how has 2020 started off for you?  Was the end of 2019 insanely busy?

Of course, no catch up post is complete without random cat pictures, so here are a few more for you to enjoy. 

Charlie & Mortimer

Howard

Mortimer

Caroline

10 comments:

  1. How cute with all the cat pictures! It did look like the banana catnip was enjoyed by Tara! Sounded like you had a nice holiday season! I think company pot lucks are great, a good chance to try new food and not as expensive as going out to a meal at a restaurant. I call that an accumulation of snow. A dusting is a fine layering of snow; this seemed more of an accumulation of it. Be safe out there!

    Happy New Year!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is a dusting! Lol, but if you aren't used to it, I understand staying home. I like the black and white photo of your street! A crockpot competition sounds fun. What did 1st place and 3rd place make?

    FYI, I did a post last week about my experience with Chemo Angels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would call your snow a scad, another name for a dusting.

    The cold keeps us inside some this time of year but I manage to keep busy.

    I love your photos of the fur babies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snow! What is this snow? If that happened around my vicinity, we'd lose our minds. We can't even take rain. Luckily, it doesn't rain all that much.

    Taking pictures is fun. I learned so much about how to compose an image in my high school photo class. I'm sure Doc gave you similar pointers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, here in Maine that is definitely a dustinf.๐Ÿ˜ I love the pictures of your sweet pets. I, too, love photography and am wondering what kind of camera you bought? Mine is a Nikon point and shoot and I also have a Canon pocket camera that I leave in my purse at all times, just in case, lol. I am saving for a SLR.๐Ÿ’–

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year! It's never too late (a new year begins every day for all of us -- even if the numbers don't change!) Congratulations on your camera. That's so exciting and I know you'll max it out and show us wonderful things. I loved each and every cat shot -- your menagerie is gorgeous. And glad Duke is OK. Christmas sounded fun and a second a great way to extend the merriment. Our year has started off pretty well, no complaints! On to February!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the kitty pictures. but my favorite is that view down your street. happy new year to you too. just taking it one day at a time in 2020. last year was brutal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An interesting update. Look forward to some pics from your new camera. Good that you have someone to pass on a few tips.

    Glad the catnip bananas are going down so well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a dusting, for sure. But hey, snow is snow, right? :)

    How exciting about your new camera. I am looking forward to seeing your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to see a post from you. I was starting to worry about where you'd gotten to. Belated happy new year.

    Glad the work's holiday meal went well, and you liked the way it was done. Also, glad your mac and cheese went down so well, and that it won second place in the crockpot competition. Second place is excellent!

    Glad you enjoyed your Christmas, and hope you can arrange the second Christmas so you can all exchange your gifts soon.

    Sorry about Nick's Mom and Step-Dad's cat, but glad the cat is doing better now. Also, glad Duke is doing well after his surgery.

    That's excellent that the cats liked their gifts so much that even Tara came out to play with them.

    Cool about your new camera. I was never any good at doing amazing shots, but always enjoyed taking photos and dabbling in photography. Still like to have photos of things to share when I can. I'd do it more if I could see my own photos to at least be sure I got the thing I was aiming for in the shot, even if it wasn't the wonderful example of photography I wish I could produce. Anyway, good luck with your new camera. Mostly though, have fun with it.

    My 2019 mostly ended well, except we lost the last of our degus, Joshua, right on top of Christmas. 2020 has started well, though now I'm worried people might think we got our Hermann's Tortoise, Artemis, right after losing Joshua on purpose, even though it's something we'd been looking in to for several months, and it's just unfortunate that we happened to lose Joshua a few weeks before we were ready to get Artemis. There are photos and videos of Artemis in my recent posts, along with recent photos and videos of Mollie (chinchilla). Plus plent of photos and videos of Lilie and Logan, of course, since the dogs can't be left out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.