Friday, June 28, 2019

A Few Random Things

There are a few things, and pictures, I want to share, but none of them are quite enough for a regular post.  So here’s a very random post, with lots of pictures.

I love grocery shopping, and I love getting great deals on groceries.  Today was one of my best deal days in a long time. 

A Publix opened here last year, practically across the street from Harris Teeter, and they seem to be in competition with each other more than any of the other local grocery stores.  Harris Teeter has been sending a month’s worth of $10.00 off of a $50.00 purchase almost every month.  There are four coupons in each flier, and they’re each good for a week.  One of my coworkers found out that Publix will take them too.   I haven’t used mine there yet because overall I prefer Harris Teeter. 

If you’re not familiar with Harris Teeter, they typically have at least a few buy two get three free sales every week.  Their loyalty card is the VIC card, and if you link an email you get extra sales and specials attached to your card every week, usually for only a few days.  This week it was $5.00 off of a $30.00 purchase. 

One of the many things I love about Harris Teeter is that the discounts don’t come off of your total until the very end.  It makes me really happy to see the total suddenly drop, especially when it drops from $254.69 to $85.14.  The receipt says $86.00, but 86 cents of that was rounding up for a donation. 

I meant to take a picture of the items in the cart because I knew this one was going to be good, but Harris Teeter seems to take it as a personal affront if you spend more than 10 seconds in line, so I got moved to another register before I had a chance to get any pictures.  Hopefully this one of the groceries in the trunk will give you an idea.


It’s hard to tell, but it’s five bags of frozen shrimp, five packages of shredded cheese, two packages of Boca burgers, ten ears of corn, a bottle of multivitamins, 2.37 pounds of cherries, a package of hamburger buns, and a small bag of cat food. 

And here’s the receipt.  I’m not sure how well you can read it, but the shrimp alone at normal price would have cost $179.90, so significantly more than what I paid for everything.  I had a coupon for a free bag of Purina One cat food (which is the brand we normally feed the cats) and the rest of the coupons were store coupons.  The vast majority of the savings came from sales.  The total saved was 66%.  My goal is to keep it around 50%, so I was very happy with that. 


Honestly, back when I was a diehard couponer I could save a much higher percentage than that sometimes.  It took a lot of time to track down coupons, it took a lot of ink to print them, and it was for a lot more processed food.  Now I tend to stick with store coupons, shopping sales, and the occasional manufacturers coupon if it’s easily accessible, and for something we normally use anyway.  Most of what I bought today fits in with our new style of eating, so that made paying a lot less even better.  Okay, enough about groceries.

We made a decision not to have a garden this year, or add a lot of new plants.  As I’ve mentioned, we’ve been working on getting rid of clutter and organizing the house.  There’s only so much time in a day, so we thought it would be better to continue focusing our time and energy on the house. 

We’ve stuck with that decision for the most part.  I can’t resist snapdragons, though, so we bought a few, and I planted them in the flower beds.  They’re very low maintenance, so haven’t really taken our focus from the house.  This one in particular is doing very well.


We also bought a shepherd’s hook, and a hanging basket to put on it.  The basket is a mix of purple and yellow flowers.  The dominant color seems to change from week to week.  This week there seem to be more yellow flowers.


Last week there were more purple flowers.  And they matched my nail polish, so I had to get a picture.


We’ve finally been able to find cotton candy grapes this year.  We had them for the first time last year, and they quickly became my favorite kind of grape, and one of my favorite fruits overall.  The only place we’ve been able to find them is Sam’s Club, and they don’t have them most of the time.  I check every single time I go in there, and they finally had some on Tuesday.  I’ve been happily munching on cotton candy grapes all week.


There’s a white squirrel in our neighborhood.  I’ve been trying to get a picture for a while, but hadn’t been able to.  White squirrels are somewhat common in a neighboring county, but not so common for us.  This one seems to live, or at least spend most of his/her time at the other end of our street, and I just haven’t been able to get a picture.  A couple of weeks ago s/he was closer to our end of the street while I was out for a walk and I was finally able to get a picture.  It’s not the best picture, so I’m hoping for another opportunity to get a better picture.  


And because no post is really complete without a cat picture, I’ll leave you with Howard’s latest picture.


So what have you been up to this week? 



13 comments:

  1. You did great with the savings! I opened the link for the receipt so I could see it more clearly. I love bargains like that! I find it amazing that stores can offer savings like this with just a click of a button or having a card. They make you work for it, but it is worth it. That is interesting with the white squirrel. Picture came out pretty good!I like the flowers and your nails, and Howard is so adorable!

    Happy weekend!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. What have I been up to this week? Trying to get lower premiums for car insurance and our car breakdown service (successfully in both cases!). Replacing the broken kitchen waste pipe. A trip to Dublin to see two art exhibitions.

    Our local supermarkets are falling over themselves to get our custom. Discounts and special offers everywhere you look. It's a good time to be shopping!

    Howard looks a bit surprised, maybe interrupted in the middle of grooming himself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to see accounts of how people save on items from groceries to clothes. You are a great shopper Danielle.

    Isn’t it incredible how expensive shrimp are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A white squirrel! If you catch it does it grant you a wish? I love Howard xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's an awesome saving!

    Glad you were finally able to get a photo of the white squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy Toledo, that's some awesome saving you did at the grocery store! We love cotton candy grapes ... they are delicious and amazing.

    The white squirrel is cute, and Howard is even cuter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grocery stores are really struggling. Did you know they make a very small profit? Something like 1%. They make their money in volume, so that's why they have good deals all the time--to get customers in and buying other things. We've had a lot of grocery stores close in various places. It seems like gyms go in to replace them. The ever changing landscape...

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't have Harris Teeter stores here, just Publix and a bunch of other chains. You are really good at bargain hunting! We tend to hit different stores for different bargains. Like our coffee and wine come from World Market. No one else beats their member prices. Your flowers are beautiful. I have never seen a white squirrel. How cute. Your Howard is also very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow -- talk about saving! That's fabulous And I've never seen a white squirrel . Hi Howard -- lookin'good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Because I used to live in Florida (years ago) and visit from time to time, I am familiar with Publix. I know Harris Teeter from various visits to Charleston and Columbia SC. I am loyal to a chain called Wegmans and, in fact, they have sold the cotton candy grapes for several years (during a limited season) and they came in season last week. Of course, soon the local blueberries will be ready for us so I also do the U-Pick thing. Wish we had U Pick cotton candy grapes. I've never done couponing but do a lot of reduced food purchases where the food is nearly out of date. Have had good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. awesome saving....

    I love the last photo...cool....
    and beautiful flowers....

    ReplyDelete
  12. You sure know how to grocery shop! I made a Costco run about every week or two. Then it's Trader Joe's for items I don't want in bulk. We got to try cotton candy grapes for the first time last month; my SIL had put them in her fruit salad. I could kind of tell the similar taste. The sight of that white squirrel is trippy. Ours here are the typical brown kind. Fun kitty you have and thanks for sharing how you have a Mortimer too. Ours is a girl in case you didn't know ^__^; my teen named it when she first laid eyes on it and her friend's cousins had said it was a boy. But surprise! at the vet, LOL; she checked again last month and yep, still a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd like to see a white squirrel. Howard looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.