Monday, January 8, 2018

January Is My Least Favorite Month

I’ll just go ahead and put it out there.  I don’t like January.  At all.  It seems to be the worst month out of the year.  It feels like an incredibly long month.  I know, I know, there are plenty of other months with 31 days.  January just feels longer to me.

Maybe it’s because it’s so cold here in January.  I’m not a cold weather person; I hate to be cold, I hate the snow, and it terrifies me to drive in it.  I’m much more of a spring person.  I love flowers, sunshine, and color.  There’s not much of any of those things in January.  Nothing is blooming or growing.  Everything just looks cold and barren to me.

I know that January is when most people think of new beginnings, making resolutions, starting new paths, and changing things they don’t like about their lives.  It’s hard for me to think of those things in January.  I seem to have zero motivation during the month of January.  Some days it’s hard just to do the bare minimum; work, chores at home, etc.  It’s not the time for me to be making resolutions.

I think of April or May more as the months for starting fresh.  It feels like more of a fresh start when everything is coming back to life and blooming.  I feel like spring is when I start to come alive again.  The first blooms of the season feel like much more of a renewal to me than turning the calendar over to January 1st.

I know attitude is important and deciding that I hate the month of January certainly isn’t doing anything to make it better.  I’m trying to have a good (or at least less awful) attitude about it.  I really am.  I’ve managed to come up with two positive things about January:

One, the cats get really cuddly during the cold weather.  They spend most of their time cuddled together napping.  And they look adorable.  I’m hoping a cute picture of Howard and Frankie cuddled together is enough to keep this post from being a total whine fest.  Or at least to make up for it.

Two, we have new vision insurance at work.  The new coverage started on January 1st.  It means I’m eligible for new frames now.  I wouldn’t have been eligible under the old plan until November, so I’ll be able to get new glasses a lot sooner.  I wear my glasses all of the time, so new glasses are a pretty big deal.

That’s all I’ve got.

So what about you?  Do you like January?  Is there something wonderful about the month of January that I’ve just missed?  Do you have a least favorite month?  Is it January?

12 comments:

  1. The light, or so little of it this time of year, affects me. I want to stay home and can, for weeks, longer if I didn’t need some essential groceries. SAD it is for me.

    The cats are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hate january too. for all the reasons you mentioned. one good thing you have to look forward to are your new glasses. enjoy .

    ReplyDelete
  3. In general I don;t mind the cold, though so far the cold is extra cold for this area, I love the snow unless I get in a storm while driving, but I do agree, January is the longest month and with the least sunlight can be a bit dreary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have mixed feelings about January. In general I like it because it means the holidays, and all of the craziness that goes with them are finally over. I also like that the days are getting longer.

    That being said, it's certainly not my favorite month. There was a songwriter I used to follow many, many years ago who wrote a song called "January Blue" about when she ran out of money to pay her power bill and was freezing! I wish I could find it online for you, but alas, she predated the youtube craze.

    Hang in there... and remember that each day gets longer and warmer from here on!

    Oh, and BTW, you might want to check out Zenni optical online. You can get crazy cheap glasses there (like under $10) and in my experience they're just as high quality as the ones you pay a zillion dollars for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHA....never thought of Jan. like that but you are right, it appears to feel longer. We have had the terrible freezing temps here in Nashville also. Today in the 40s....HEAT WAVE! But tomorrow it is supposed to be in the 60's. As for a fav month. I think Oct. is my fav. I love the smells of the bonfires, the colors, the leaves...etc. I am not a big fan of the COLD but I am not a big fan of the HEAT either. Smile at your adorable cats and go get your glasses...haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. They say the third Monday (?) of the month is the most dismal day of the year. Or is it January 27th? I've heard various things about this, and many people agree with you.

    We're having a rainy day today. I don't mind January so much. Of course, we don't really get cold, except on days like today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Danielle, I haven't been in blog world in forever, but your title grabbed me. NO - I do not like January, and it is my birthday month. It kinda stinks to have a bday in January. And I'm with you - I just don't like cold. At all. I'm in agreement. We all hunker down until warmer days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For us in the dry of S. California, January is wonderful because we get rain then.
    My least favorite month is February. Childhoods in Illinois snow got slushy in the day, froze at night, and turned muddy the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't really have a month I hate. I'm not sure I have a favourite one either. There are things I like about alltimes of the year, and things I hate about them too. Really, how I feel about the month we're in depends on how I feel at the time you ask me, and what's happening that month that I'm either dreading or looking forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This morning I was just thinking about how much I look forward to winter! January flies for me because it's the last weeks of my school holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with you on January and I'm none too fond of February, either! Up here, even March is a challenge -- holding the promise of spring but rarely delivering!

    I wanted to thank you for your recent comments. I love it when you come by and I love it when you blog! Would you mind emailing me -- jeanie@wkar.org -- so I have your email and I would be very happy to answer the question you had about the DNA tests. I hate to do a long reply in your comment section but would love to chat about it. I hope I'll hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree. January is kind of the Monday of the months.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.