Saturday, November 5, 2016

Book Lovers Day

Books!  And a Joey photobomb.
According to Holiday Insights, there are actually two different dates for Books Lovers Day.  I love books, so the idea of two separate Book Lovers Days makes me really happy, and it seems like a great day to talk about the amazing Friends of the Library Book Sale we went to recently.

The Friends of the Library have a few book sales throughout the year.  There’s a separate building (I guess they don’t want people trying to buy books off of the library shelves), and they have a great selection of books.  The sales usually run a few weeks or weekends in a row, and everything is more and more discounted as the sale goes on.  It’s well organized, and there’s a huge selection.  It’s kind of a book lover’s paradise.

This year they did something a little different.  The last Saturday in October was the Monster Book Sale, or as I like to call it, a dream come true.  It was $5.00 per adult.  Not $5.00 per bag, box, or X number of books. $5.00 for all of the books you wanted to take with you.  You walked in, paid your $5.00, got your hand stamped, and then had the privilege of taking all of the books you wanted.  If you filled a box, they wrote your name on it, stashed it behind a counter, and handed you another box.

Nick and I both love books, and we have a small house.  We have lots of books, pretty much everywhere.  But we decided that the Monster Sale was an opportunity not to be missed.  Unlimited books was more temptation than we could resist, and it supported the library.  We decided to go, and limit ourselves to one box each.

I think the one box limit lasted about 45 minutes.  Maybe.  We read completely different things; I’m pretty much all about fiction, cookbooks, and the occasional biography.  Nick is all about non-fiction.  He actually loves getting his hands on text books.  So we split up as soon as we were stamped and in the door.  Somehow, we usually mange to finish up at about the same time, and both come wandering out of our sections at about the same time, and run into each other.  I’m not sure how, but it works.

We both wandered out with our first box completely full, and we hadn’t even looked at everything, so we agreed to two boxes each.  We actually stuck to the two boxes each limit.  The boxes were packed full, and incredibly heavy, but we did leave with “only” four boxes between the two of us.

It was so much fun.  I put books I might not normally have bought in my boxes to try.  Everyone seemed to be recommending books, and there was a lot of “if you like this, you’ll love that” going on.  At one point I was part of a group of women all just putting books in each other’s boxes.  I can’t wait to try some of the newly recommended authors.

So what about you?  Are you a book lover?  Have you lost control buying books?  Have you read anything good lately?

5 comments:

  1. What a fun sale. I like the idea of 5 dollars a person. Good way to clear the shelves of books and still make money. These days I am reading more ebooks, just more convenient. I finished a book last week called The Secret Daughter. It was based in India and America. Fascinating
    book.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I get into a book very quickly and can not put it down, most times my mind wanders and I can't even get started.

    If I could concentrate better I may have finished college with a respectable grade average, as it is I'm surprised I slipped through. I am envious of people who can "get into" a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like heaven... All those books for such a small price!

    I love books. I spend a LOT of time reading. I easily read a couple of hundred books a year, and always have a long list of books waiting for me to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! I think I would be dangerous in that Monster Book Sale. Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL yeah one shared box ::snort:: Sounds like a fantastic event :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.