Sunday, June 26, 2016

A Different Kind of BLT

I’m not usually one to leave well enough alone when it comes to food. Don’t get me wrong, there are some things that are perfect just the way they are, and should never be messed with. (Here’s looking at you vanilla ice cream.) But most of the time, it’s nice (and incredibly delicious!) to mix things up a little and experiment with new flavor combinations.

I thought a BLT might be better if I made it with fried green tomatoes and arugula instead of the traditional ripe tomatoes and iceberg or romaine lettuce. It’s not just better, it’s amazingly delicious! The fried green tomatoes are a little tangy and the arugula is a little peppery. Combined with nice crispy bacon, it’s a match made in heaven. 

The fried green tomatoes reheat fairly well, so it works well to make a lot so you can have leftovers. Trust me, you’re going to want another one of these sandwiches the next day.

Fried Green Tomatoes (click here for the recipe)

Crispy cooked bacon

Arugula

Sliced bread (I used multi-grain bread. I think it’s best with whatever kind of bread you prefer for sandwiches.)

Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip

I toasted my bread because, honestly, I can’t stand soft/soggy bread. I think a sandwich on untoasted bread is positively disgusting. In this case, I think toasting the bread is definitely the better course even if you’re not obsessed with toasted bread. The sandwich is pretty thick and hearty, and I think the toasted bread helps keep it together.

Spread two slice of toasted bread with mayonnaise or Miracle Whip, and pile on the bacon, fried green tomatoes, and arugula. That’s it! Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Oooh dang! That sounds like a great combination, Danielle! Gotta try it out, for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting combination. (I've never had a BLT, mostly because I'm weird and hate most foods most people love.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to change things up to. Sounds like you have a winner with this sandwich. YUMMY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds yummy! I think that's how new things are created, but people being imaginative with what they have to work with and what sounds good together. Looks like you have a winning combination here!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delish! I always toast my salad sandwiches. I love toasted lettuce for some reason.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.