Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Rest of My 31 Things

Today, as promised, I give you the rest of the 31 things I did this holiday season:
23.  Took home-made chicken noodle soup to a friend going through chemo-therapy. 
24.  Took pumpkin bread to our new neighbors.  They built a duplex across the street from us, and we hadn’t met the people on one side.  Taking them a Christmas card and pumpkin bread seemed like a good way to meet them. 
25.  Took pumpkin bread to the rest of the neighbors.  We usually take baked goods to all of our neighbors around Christmas, but this year we also stayed and visited, instead of just dropping things off.  We have a neighbor in her 80s, who has lived there since 1960.  She seemed to enjoy the company, and it was neat to hear about how the neighborhood used to be.
26.  Paid for the next person's order at the drive-thru.  I did this one early on, just never got around to posting about it before.  I gave the cashier a note wishing them happy holidays to give to them.
27.  Took pound cake to the people who do security in my office building.  They do a great job, and are really nice, so I thought they needed to know they’re appreciated. 
28.  Took pound cake to the volunteers in my office building.  There are a lot of volunteers who work in the building, and help keep things running smoothly.  They do it simply out of kindness, so I thought they deserved a little something to say thank you.
29 – 31.  Took baked goods, magazines, books, soaps, and a movie to hospice.  I’ve written before about how amazing the people at the hospice house my grandmother was in were.  So we decided to try to do a little something for the staff, and the people there at Christmas.
We baked pound cakes and pumpkin bread to leave in the kitchenette in the family waiting room and for the staff.  My parents came too, and my mom made up little snack bags of Chex Mix and trail mix type things, as well as bringing fresh fruit.  We reasoned that people have to eat, and vending machines can be expensive and unappealing.
We also brought books and magazines for the waiting room, and a holiday movie for the kids’ room, because sometimes you just need a distraction.  We also brought some soaps and lotions for the care packages that they hand out in the beginning.  It wasn’t all that much, but we just wanted to do something. 
And that is the end of my 31 things project.  I’ve enjoyed it.  There were a few times when I wondered if I’d find 31 things I was able to do in the timeframe, but then some random opportunity would present itself.  I think that’s kind of the point, there are opportunities to do little things to make the world a slightly better place.  We just have to alert to them and seize them when we can. 
It also seems that I’m maybe a little obsessed with feeding people, and helping pets is definitely my thing.  It takes all kinds, right?

6 comments:

  1. That was a wonderful idea Danielle with paying for the meal of the person behind you at the fast food place. I'll have to remember that! Great too with what you did at the hospice place; I'm sure all of that was appreciated! I am sure everyone who got a meal/baked good from you thought it was delicious! Definitely your gifts are feeding people and taking care of furry critters; I think that is neat!

    Maybe you could make this an annual event to do 31 random acts :)

    Happy New Year!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone suggested the drive-thru thing in the beginning, and I really liked the idea. I hope everyone enjoyed all of the food. It seems so simple to feed people and take care of animals.

      I like the idea of making this an annual event. We'll have to see how this year plays out, and what kind of project it leads to.

      Happy New Year to you as well.

      Delete
  2. Hi Danielle,

    Apologies for not being able to keep up with these postings. However, all that you do touches my heart and Penny's heart. You are a gift of kindness and hope. Total respect and admiration to you.

    A peaceful, positive 2014 to you and your loved ones.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary, I appreciate your time and kind comments. No apologies needed! Thank you for your kind words. I hope you have a wonderful 2014 as well.

      Delete
  3. Yes, it DOES take all kinds, and we are thankful that you are the kind of person you are. And that you are our friend. :)

    Happy New Year to you. We hope your 2014 is filled with much health, joy, laughter and love. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya'll are so sweet. Happy New Year to you as well.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.