Sunday, December 15, 2013

Number 13 – Returned the Extra Christmas Presents We Received In Error

I'm still on track with accomplishing my 31 things this holiday season, I'm just running terribly behind with posting them. 
My sister, Gabrielle, hates to gift wrap so much that she absolutely refuses to do it, so she does the bulk of her Christmas shopping on Amazon and pays for the giftwrap option.  She has been shipping our Christmas presents straight to our house since they’re already wrapped. She’ll be at our house Christmas Day, but it saves her the trouble of having to travel with them.
I think it’s ridiculous how much she’s spending on giftwrap when you consider how cheap wrapping paper is, so I made the suggestion that she not wrap Nick’s presents (he’s a Christmas Eve baby, so she’s also sending his birthday gifts to the house) and I would open the boxes and wrap them. 
When I opened a box last week there was a strange sense of having seen the contents before. It turned out that the box had exactly the same gifts as a box we’d received a few days earlier.  I can’t say what they are because Nick reads my blog, but it’s definitely not anything you would need or want two of. 
I asked a few people if that had ever happened to them, and they said no, but surely Amazon wouldn’t notice, and I should just sell the things on EBay and pocket the extra cash.  I called Gabrielle to make sure she hadn’t been charged twice, and she had not. 
I then called Amazon, and spent a very long time on hold.  The person I talked to said someone calling to say they’d received too much was a new one.  They arranged a UPS pickup and the extra gifts are now on their way back to Amazon. 

6 comments:

  1. An honorable thing to do to return the extra gifts! I'm sure Amazon appreciates that there are honest people out there!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something so many would just not do. Very good thing you did! It's nice to know there are honest people out there still :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just seemed extra wrong somehow not to return mistakenly received Christmas presents.

      Delete
  3. I thought I was honest, I tell clerks if they give back too much change or they miss checking out an item. If someone drops money without knowing I will chase them down, but going to that much trouble to return Amazons goof...not sure I would do that. You may have got someone in trouble...well that would be how I would reason not returning it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I didn't get anyone in trouble. I felt like keeping them would be one of those things that everyone eventually pays for - higher prices, no raise, etc. I think they were very surprised when I called.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.