Thursday, May 4, 2023

Thursday 13: A Chemo and Senior Angels Update

 It looks like it has been almost two years since I did any kind of Chemo or Senior Angels update, so I think it’s definitely time for one. In the interest of not letting it get too long, I thought a Thursday 13 would be a good format for it.

If you’re not familiar with Chemo Angels and Senior Angels, you can read my long post about them here. The very short version is that they’re programs that match volunteers (known as card angels or chemo angels) with patients or seniors (known as buddies), and the volunteer sends cards/letters to the patient/senior. I volunteer as a card angel with both programs.

As usual, with this kind of post, the photos are just a random assortment.

 

Now, on to the update.

1. I’m still writing to my original senior buddy. I’ve been writing to her since November 2019, shortly after I started with the program. She has written me back a few times and is doing well overall.

2. Her daughter manages her check-ins and is great about mentioning specific things that she enjoys hearing about or pictures she really likes, which makes it much easier to write to her.

3. My chemo buddy from last time (the one who sent me the sweet gift at the beginning of 2021) finished with the program. Unfortunately, she’ll most likely be back for more chemo at some point, but she was getting an extended break and leaving the program for that.

4. The chemo buddy who became my regular buddy after I was substitute card angel for a while also finished with the program during an extended chemo break. We’ve exchanged a few emails since then, and she sent me a Christmas card last year. It sounds like she’s doing fairly well, which makes me very happy.

5. My first-ever teenage buddy, the one I called Anna in my last update, finished her chemo and is cancer free. Her mom has posted a few updates on the Facebook page she set up during Anna’s chemo. Anna’s hair has grown back and was beautiful in her prom pictures. She will start college in the fall and is living life to the full. I love those updates, and I’m delighted at how well she’s doing after everything she went through.

6. I had another teenage buddy for most of last year. We’ll call her Kate for purposes of the update. Kate finished her chemo earlier this year and is now cancer free. Kate’s mom wasn’t as detailed in her check-ins as Anna’s mom was, so it was a little harder to gauge what she did or didn’t like. I’m delighted that she’s finished and cancer free.

7. Last summer, I substituted for a 10-year-old girl for about a month while her regular card angel took a break. We’ll call her Denise for purposes of the update. Denise loves to draw, and at the end of my time writing to her, she sent me some pictures she drew of my cats. (Yes, I always share pictures of my cats with my buddies.) Because I was only her substitute, I didn’t get updates about Denise and her progress. I truly hope she’s healthy and happy now.

8. That’s the only bad thing about being a substitute; that you don’t find out when they finish their treatment or how they’re doing.

9. Once my assignment with Kate ended, I got back on the list for another buddy. I was matched to my newest buddy last month. We’ll call her Jane for update purposes.

10. It’s too soon to have heard anything from a check-in of Jane’s, and her information sheet was a little sparse. So, right now, I’m mostly guessing about what to write to her about. I’m hoping that she’ll provide a little more information in some of her check-ins. She does like to read, though, so talking about books is always an option.

11. Recently, Chemo Angels has asked for volunteers willing to write to male patients (adults and/or teenagers). Apparently, some volunteers are only comfortable writing to women or young childreb, and there’s a shortage of volunteers willing to take on male buddies. If you’re interested in volunteering and willing to have a male buddy, this is a great time to sign up. If you’re on the fence about volunteering with Chemo/Senior Angels, I highly encourage you to give it a try. It’s not very time-consuming at all, and it’s an incredibly rewarding experience. So many of the volunteers in the Facebook group talk about feeling like we get more from it than our buddies do, and I really feel like that’s true sometimes.

12. I’ve volunteered to take a male buddy if there’s someone with some interests in common with me. Now that I’ve had a couple of teenage buddies, I’m fine with having a younger buddy (though I’m still not up for taking on a very young child). And I work in a very male-dominated field, so I’m perfectly fine with having a male buddy.

13. I’m still so grateful to Bijoux and Betty for sharing their experiences with Chemo Angels. I don’t think I would have heard of the program otherwise, and I love being a card angel.

 

I truly believe that we all have a responsibility to do something, however small, to help others if we’re able. At times, I’ve had a hard time finding that something for myself, but Chemo Angels/Senior Angels has been a really good fit for me. I know it’s a very, very small thing in the grand scheme of things, but I’m okay with that. I like small, behind-the-scenes things, and I’m very much okay with sending cards that hopefully brighten someone’s day a little bit.

10 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this program. Thank you for introducing me to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea. I don't think we have that around here. Pen pals were big when I was growing up and I had a couple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to hear that your buddies are doing well. Teenagers are an interesting group, aren't they? It's nice to hear that Anna got to go to prom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sound like a lovely program.
    I also took part in Thursday Thirteen
    Coffee is on and stay safe,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this. I participate in Letters Against Isolation, where I write notes to be distributed through Meals on Wheels and assisted living facilities, but I never know who exactly I'm writing to. This is another matter entirely. I think I'll look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's wonderful that these things exist, and love that you're doing it. And I'm glad you did get updates for some of your buddies after they were done with treatment at least.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great way to help others, Danielle. Well done!

    My friend has cancer and I help her in various ways. She is doing well now too. Cancer treatment has come such a long way…

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I’m so happy that you’ve continued on with the program! And I’m glad Betty introduced me to it (I don’t know what happened to Betty, but I’m hoping she’s fine and just taking a blogging break).

    You’ve really outdone yourself with so many buddies. I’m really glad I did it, even though it was just for 6 months or so. I’m overwhelmed right now with dealing with my mom’s dementia, but I’m hoping to find another volunteer opportunity once she’s settled.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an important job! I know from when my parents were in nursing homes, how meaningful a card or letter could be. I have occasionally sent cards to everyone in a nursing home, but have nothing organized like you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great programs. I'd never heard of this before, thanks so much for the info! Something I'll keep in mind.
    I wonder why many people don't want to take on male buddies?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.