Monday, December 21, 2020

A Long Catch-Up Post

 I know it wasn’t a very realistic hope, but I was kind of hoping that things would be a little more normal by the time I posted again.  Nope.  Not even close.  It seemed like North Carolina started off fairly strong, compared to neighboring states, in taking COVID precautions.  But now, despite all of the pleas from the experts, we seem to be on a crash course to disaster.  I don’t know of anyone now who hasn’t had a close friend, family member, or co-worker have COVID.  But enough about COVID.

Duke

We painted and re-did the floor in our kitchen in October.  We postponed our annual Folly Beach trip to next year, but still took the week off of work. We both have a lot of paid time off accumulated, so we decided to take the week and do the kitchen project.  

And that’s probably the last house project we’ll do for quite a while!  It took much longer, and was much harder than we expected.  You know how people complain that romantic comedies paint an unrealistic picture of relationships?  Well, I think that’s nothing compared to the lies Lowe’s and Home Depot are selling in their commercials.  The couples in those always look so happy during their projects.  They have on nice clean clothes and are smiling at each other.   There’s none of the covered in sawdust and paint and seriously re-thinking being married to someone who wants to blast whiney 80s music, or doesn’t know the name of every single tool.  Anyway, that’s my take on who sets couples up for unrealistic expectations.  

Fortunately, both of us, and our marriage, survived the kitchen project.  Here’s a progress picture.  I haven’t taken a finished picture yet because I only think about it once I’ve started cooking, and I’m so messy, I don’t want to take a picture of that.  You can at least see the colors.  Almost everything was a very ugly beige before.  

Painting in progress.


I’m still crocheting mask adapters/extenders.  There was a lull in people asking for them for a while, but people have started asking for them again, so I’ve been making and mailing them.  If you need one, let me know in the comments.  

Mask Adapters


We had a health scare with Tara in October.  It turns out that she has bladder crystals and has to be on a special diet.  She had to have an ultrasound to look for crystals (which the vet suspected) or stones, and to rule out any kind of mass.  Due to COVID, the vet’s office isn’t allowing people into the office, so we had to wait in the parking lot when Tara had her ultrasound.  One of the vet techs came out as soon as it was finished and told us, unofficially, that there were no masses, but the vet would be out later to tell us that officially and talk to us.  I wanted to hug her!  Every other time we’ve had a pet have an ultrasound, the news has been devastating, so we were pretty nervous.  I thought it was so sweet of her to come out and tell us the good news right away.

Tara has to be on a special diet, and we’re limiting her stress.  She’s a very timid cat, and is afraid of almost everything, so limiting her stress isn’t the easiest thing.  It has taken a lot of trial and error, but we seem to have figured out the food situation for her.  There are three different kinds she likes, for a few days at a time, so we have small bowls of all three brands of dry food out for her, and we alternate the brand of wet food every day or two.  Tara is also currently living in our bedroom, away from the other cats.  She seems to have no desire to leave!  Howard goes in and hangs out with her (and eats the special food he’s not exactly supposed to have) every day.  For now, it seems to be working.  We’re tossing around ideas for later on, but for the moment, she’s happy in the bedroom.

Doesn't she look happy?


We didn’t host Thanksgiving this year.  I was very disappointed about that, but I believe we made the right choice.  We did still get to drop off the meal for the hospice house, though.  I wasn’t sure if they would want us to, so I wanted until the week before to ask, since things seem to change so quickly.  The lady I always coordinate with was incredibly nice.  She said a few people had asked if I was bringing the meal, so that made me happy.  They aren’t allowing volunteers inside, but said that as long as we were okay dropping the food off at the door, while wearing masks, they would love to have the meal.  We were more than happy to do it that way.  We now have an uninterrupted streak since 2016, so I was thrilled not to miss a year.

Everything went smoothly with the drop off.  We’re normally able to use a cart they have, but couldn’t this year, so there were a lot of trips back and forth to the car, but nothing was spilled or forgotten.  We ended up talking to a very nice lady in the parking lot.  She was nice, but made me cry.  I’d like to go one year without crying! 

Two older couples that we’re friends with were also staying home for Thanksgiving, so I offered a drop-off/pickup of food for them since I was already cooking and it’s practically impossible to cook Thanksgiving dinner for only two.  One couple came and picked up desserts.  We talked for a few minutes through the glass door, which was strange, but also nice.  The other couple lives just down the street from us, so we dropped off desserts and sides, and they sent some different desserts and sides home with us.  It was a fairly warm day, so we sat out on their patio, six feet apart, in masks, and talked for a while.  Again, it was weird, but nice to see them. 

Like so many people, our Christmas plans look very different this year.  We’re not doing our usual trip to my sister’s.  We talked to her and to Nick’s mom and step-dad and all agreed to forego gifts this year, since we can’t be together, and plan for an insanely huge celebration next year.  Everyone was happy with that idea, so it’s nice that we’re all in agreement.  I imagine it would be very stressful if the people you normally celebrate with are taking a different approach from you.  

We haven’t even put up our Christmas tree this year.  Neither one of us felt especially motivated to on Thanksgiving weekend (when we normally put it up), and then we were sick (NOT COVID, we both had negative tests) for a while after that.  Then it just reached the point of not being worth it to drag everything out for such a short time.  It’s weird not having the tree up, but that’s 2020.  I did put up some wreaths on the doors, and we’ve been listening to Christmas music, so there’s some Christmas spirit here.  

The only Christmas shopping I’ve done has been for my chemo/senior buddies.  Their packages have all been shipped and delivered.   Caroline helped with the wrapping and packaging.  I decided on mostly small things that would fit in a stocking, so I hope they like everything.  We also did a family package for my buddy who’s married and has a young son and a dog (the dog toys were from Duke and the cats to her dog).  I asked Nick’s mom if the family package would be weird, and she said it wouldn’t.  Hopefully they’ll like it.  We included a DVD of Home Alone in it, which the kids next door LOVED, when they were the same age as her son, so we’re hoping his taste is similar.  


Caroline "helping"

I’m still working from home, as it seems a lot of you are.  I’ve worked from home longer than I worked in the office before we shut down.  And it has already been over a year since I started the new job!  I still love it, even if it’s a little weird working from home, so I’m so glad I made the switch last year.  

I think those are the highlights of what I’ve been up to since the last time I posted.  So what about you?  Any home projects?  Are you working from home?  What have you been up to for the past couple of months?  

I’m almost certain I won’t post again before Christmas, so I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas, or a happy holiday.  I hope you’re all safe and well.


7 comments:

  1. It's so nice to finally see a post from you, it's been a long time! Things with Covid have just been getting worse and worse everywhere. This has been one horrific year!

    We haven't done any home projects in years, it's something that may go on my 30 day challenges list for 2021 but it won't be fun. My husband and I do not work well together at all on that kind of stuff!

    I'm so glad your sweet kitty is doing ok. We have had a horrible (and very expensive) year with pet issues and emergencies. I don't think one of my kitties has much time left :(

    I'm so glad you were still able to do all of your Thanksgiving and Christmas sharing. I didn't put up a tree this year either. I do have lots of lights up on my back porch since that's where we will be celebrating while social distancing with our grown kids for the holidays.

    Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, those home projects look so easy until you attempt to do it yourself. In my family lots of swearing would be involved.

    Yep, I'm working from home. It didn't start that way, but with cases spiking here, the district changed its mind. It's been a very strange year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see a post from you! Funny after all the years working from home the year of the pandemic I'm working outside the home and at a job that will never be at home (that would be interesting trying to sort and open mail at home :)

    Glad Tara is doing good and her ultrasound wasn't devastating news! Also glad you did the usual Thanksgiving meal for the hospice. Wow, I can't believe its been since 2016 you've been doing it!

    I haven't put up a Christmas tree since 2016 and before that it was a few years that I had done so. We have a wreath on the door and a string of lights and I'm good :)

    Hubby and me don't do projects well together. Its always a bit of a stress for me. Glad you weathered yours with Nick!

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending all good wishes to you both for a beautiful Christmas. And three cheers for surviving home reno. I just want to run in those situations! Like you, our holiday will just be us and with many we passed on gift giving -- or at least till we are able to get together and celebrate, which may be quite awhile.You've been so busy. All's well here and reay for Christmas, even if it is just us two. Delivering cookie plates to doorsteps today. It's something.

    Merriest, Danielle. Stay well, safe and happy this holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see you post again! I’m surprised you got sick, just being at home all the time! We decorated more this year than we ever have, just out of boredom. Your paint colors are really pretty! Yes, I’m not a fan of painting with my spouse either. He’s too bossy. Lol! But I’d be ok with whines 80’s music! Awesome packages for your buddies. My son LOVED Home Alone when he was around 11 years old. He’d laugh his head off over and over.

    Hope you guys have a blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you guys got a lot done even though you were being safe! COVID certainly has made this year a weird one. Way to go on the kitchen project, and we're glad Tara is okay.

    We are staying home for Christmas, too. We'll Zoom and FaceTime with relative sand friends, but otherwise it'll be just us and Ava the cat. We're okay with that.

    Merry Christmas to you, my friend. And here's to a 2021 filled with awesome things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to see a post from you!

    Hubby and I aren't too great at doing projects like that without at least a bit of bickering either, so I totally agree about how unrealistic the couples in those adverts are. Glad no relationships were harmed in the redecorating of your kitchen. ;)

    Good that Tara has a manageable condition. Hope you can keep her happy and enjoying the special food. Even if it means she lives in your bedroom.

    I'm very glad you were able to do Thanksgiving for some people. I know how much you love doing that each year, so I'm glad the virus situation didn't take that away from you.

    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.