Thursday, October 3, 2019

Quarterly Goals - Last Quarter of 2019

I think tracking my goals by quarter has been helpful, so I’m doing it again this quarter.   It’s weird that this year is almost over!  It’s also the last chance to meet yearly goals, so there’s some pressure to aim high.

Charlie
I don’t really have any pictures to go with this post, and as you know by now, that means I share some random cat pictures.  I always have cat pictures! 

Here are my fourth quarter, or October - December, 2019 goals:

Home:

Actually take the ThredUp box to the post office!  It has been sitting in the living room for entirely too long.  I’m definitely not aiming high with this one.  The box really needs to go.

I need to go through my clothes again, and get rid of things I don’t wear, which probably means another ThredUp box.  I think some of my sweaters will be too big to wear this year, and I have at least one summer dress that was too big when I tried to wear it last week. 

In continuing with the theme of boxing things up (and hopefully taking said boxes to the post office!), I’d like to get another box of books/movies/CDs shipped off to Decluttr.  We seem to constantly acquire new books, which isn’t a problem as long as we also part with some. 

Mortimer
My night stand tends to stay somewhat cluttered, so I’d like to tame that clutter this quarter.  At the moment, one wrong move sends the leaning tower of books, magazines, and notebooks toppling.  I’d like to eliminate that problem.

We’re still working on general organizing, getting rid of clutter, and implementing better storage systems, but I’m not setting any other specific goals for this quarter. 

Health:

I still need to lose more weight.  I stayed at the same weight last quarter which makes me nervous for how I’ll do this quarter with the holidays, and all of the holiday treats, coming up.  Last quarter I didn’t set any specific weight loss goals, so I am going to set a specific goal this quarter to see if that helps.  My weight goal for this quarter is to lose nine pounds.  That would put me at a certain threshold I’d be really happy to reach.

On the exercise front, I’m a little lost.  Here’s my dilemma:

Mortimer
I love, love, love swimming.  The gym we go to has an indoor pool, so in theory, swimming is an option year round.  The gym also has a 100 Mile Swim Club.  You track your laps/miles, and when you reach 100 miles, you get a 100 Mile Swim Club t-shirt.  I want that t-shirt!  There’s no time limit, and they say it takes most people over a year.   I have a very long way to go.  My trouble in setting a swimming goal this quarter is that during the colder weather I’ll have to take the time to dry my hair after I swim.  I know that sounds really dumb, but during the week swimming for 45 minutes to an hour, then getting a shower and drying my hair can put us getting home kind of late for a weeknight.  It’s easier during the warmer weather because I just leave with wet hair and let it dry on its own.  Going outside with dripping wet hair when it’s 30 degrees does not sound at all pleasant!  The gym closes at 4:00 on Friday, which means I can’t go because of work.  It’s also closed on Saturday, so Sunday is the only weekend day available.
Charlie

My other exercise of choice is the treadmill.  I’ve been trying, off and on, to do a Couch to 5K program.  I’m much, much closer to couch than 5K!  On treadmill days I also have the goal of using the arm weight machines.  I’d like to increase my weights on the machines.  I’m still at the lowest weight on one of them, so I’d to at least move up a weight on that one by the end of the quarter. 

I don’t think it’s realistic to set a big swimming goal and a 5K goal, but I’m not sure how to split it up either.  Any suggestions? 

This is new for me since we just joined the gym in March.  The goals I’m leaning toward at the moment are to consistently go to the gym at least three days a week, hopefully four days a week, but a minimum of three.  I think Sunday may end up being my only regular swimming day.  If that’s the case, my goal is to get up to a mile and a half at a time, which would be 54 laps.  The Couch to 5K program is a six week program, at three days a week, so if I do only swim one day a week that means I should be able to complete the program. 

Honestly, this feels very daunting, and not as focused as it probably should be, but it’s something I’m figuring out as I go.  I’d love any suggestions anyone has for narrowing it down, or how you manage your exercise goals. 

My much more straightforward exercise goal is to get my daily step average up to 10,000.  According to my tracker my daily average as of today is 9,827 steps.  I think I should be able to get that up to 10,000 by the end of the year. 

Environment:

One goal is to definitely keep being diligent about composting, and not getting lazy and tossing compostable things in the trash.  It’s a little more of a challenge for me during the colder weather since it does involve going out into the cold. 

Caroline
Additionally on the compost front, I have the goal of not composting things that should have been used in the first place.  The compost bin is for things like veggie scraps and tea bags, not bunches of celery that I neglected to use in a timely manner.  Obviously composting spoiled produce is a little better than just throwing it in the trash, but it’s far from ideal.  My goal this quarter is to get better about using up food before it goes bad, weather that means freezing it, changing up what I may have planned to cook, or getting a little more creative in the kitchen. 

The other, bigger, goal is to reduce the amount of plastic waste we generate.  My goal for this quarter is to stop using the plastic produce bags.  I bought reusable produce bags, and I’ve used them twice in three months.  I almost never remember to bring them with me.  So my goal for this quarter is to switch exclusively to them for produce, and not to use any of the plastic produce bags the stores provide. 

Personal/Miscellaneous:

I still feel like the human version of a fixer upper house! 

My goodreads goal for the year is 52 books, and I’m currently six books behind schedule.  I would love to actually meet that goal.  I think it’s possible, especially if I watch less TV. 

I’m also setting the goal of reading more non-fiction.  I think fiction will always be my favorite, but I think I would definitely benefit from reading some non-fiction.  My non-fiction goal for this quarter is to read three non-fiction books, basically one per month. 

Since this quarter includes November, there’s also the question of participating in NaNoWriMo.  I’ve signed up off and on over the past six years, and never even come close to the 50,000 word goal.  Earlier this year, I had no intention of even going through the motions of signing up this year.  Lately, though, I’ve had an idea that I want to try out. 

Realistically, I know the chances of writing 50,000 words in November are extremely low.  Basically nonexistent.  But, there’s something about the sense of hope and optimism at the beginning of November with that goal in place.  So my goal is to sign up, and get as many words written as I can.  I know it’s not the most ambitious, or even specific, goal, but it’s one that makes me happy.  Something is better than nothing, right?

I’m hoping to make much better crochet progress this quarter since I’ve finally been shown some things in person.  Aunt Diana suggested granny squares as a good way to learn.  I’ve also read that dish cloths are a good place to start.  My plan is to practice the stitches some more, then look at patterns for granny squares and dish cloths to figure out which one seems more doable.  My goal is to complete at least one this quarter. 
Howard

Blogging:

This year has been my worst blogging year ever.  I don’t think that’s likely to change in just three months, but I would like to improve it.  I love blogging, and I really don’t know why it’s one of the first things I let go when things get busy.  My goal this quarter is to post at least twice a week. 

I’d also like to post at least one video this quarter.  It’s something I’ve never done, but have wanted to try for a while. 

So what about you?  Are you working on any specific goals this quarter?  Are you really pushing yourself to accomplish something by the end of the year?  How do you determine which goals to really focus on? 

11 comments:

  1. Can you wear a swimming cap for swimming? Would that help you not have to dry your hair as much? I know what you mean though because I just wash and air dry my hair and I remember being outside on cold Montana mornings waiting for a certain corgi to take care of his business and my hair freezing. I only do the treadmill so I have no clue how to break up your training sessions. Do they have coaches at the gym that can help you? I do a lot of reading, in fact all of my reading, when I'm on the treadmill every morning. I read digitally on my tablet. Its amazing how many books you can get through in 40 minutes 5 days a week (usually about 1 book a week unless it is an easy read). Its hard here to keep some things decluttered. Some places just seem to attract paper and whatnot. Do the best you can! I think you have set realistic goals. Good luck with them!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to be in such a muddle, hope you spend time sorting out what you want to do, what can fit into your life, what is important, and escape from that tower of books... wishing you luck.

    I was a little like you, but after reading

    Marie Kondo: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing
    audible.co.uk/‎

    it made an entire difference to my life. By organizing the things around me, it spilled over into my entire life. It changed me totally - go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lot of goals to keep track of! I've been trying to do better with not wasting food, too. We have an upright basement freezer and I finally threw out food that was in the back that had expired long ago. I made a paper inventory sheet that I keep upstairs with my meal planning stuff so I can look at it before I grocery shop.

    Can you get a coat with a tight fitting hood to wear when you leave swimming? A non fiction book I really enjoyed was 'Educated' by Tara Westover. It's been on the bestsellers list for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great goals on a variety of fronts, Danielle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with all your goals.

    On the swimming front, maybe just set a goal to increase the number of laps you do by a certain amount?

    Yes, any writing you get done is great, so even just signing up and doing what you can is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are excellent goals! I am not this organized.
    Could you give me some examples of books you have read recently or the ones you are planning to read until the end of the year? I'm always looking for "new" authors.
    Thanks.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your goals. I like the idea of setting quarterly goals but I admit to being lazy. I do not like swimming in cold weather for the same reasons! Getting wet and going outside is a big no from me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is such a good idea danielle! i find when i memorialize my thoughts, i am much better at carrying through on them.

    i enjoyed your personal/miscellaneous goals most, i crochet too and i am a "pretty" dedicated knitter and i sure can relate to wanting to knit more. christmas is closing in and i try to make knitted gifts for my family!!!

    i try to blog everyday and it is becoming harder and harder, both to find content and then to visit those who visit me. twice per week seems doable, i hope you can!

    good luck with your goals, i hope you achieve enough to make yourself feel good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so good to be taking on the exercise so well. About the only one I like is swimming and there is no nearby indoor pool so I get very lax in the winter. I'm trying to cut plastic too. I've pretty much passed on all the plastic containers apart from a few and gone to glass/china but plastic bags are tricky, even though I use them over and over! Wonderful goals, Danielle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Danielle. You have lots of goals for the upcoming quarter! I am proud of you for sticking with stuff, especially with the exercising. You will get that shirt, I know! Loce the random cat pictures, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm curious about ThredUp and Decluttr. I have not heard of these before.

    As for how to parcel out your exercise goals, take what you think you'd like to do--one day at the pool, three days on the treadmill--and figure that as your baseline. Go a bit under if you'd like to do that but won't always make it. Go a bit over if you know you'll make it and want to push yourself. At least, that's what I'd do.

    I found a great dishcloth pattern that's easy and makes a great dishcloth. I'll have to find the link...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.