Wednesday, October 2, 2019

How I Did With My Third Quarter Goals

I’ve decided to start setting and tracking quarterly goals for myself.  I saw the idea on another blog, and really liked it, so I decided to try it out for myself.  July - September was the first quarter I tracked.  Here’s how I did.  Or in some cases, didn’t.

Home:

We’re still working on getting rid of the clutter, and generally organizing our house better.  My goals for the last quarter were to go through my clothes and get rid of the things I don’t wear.  I also wanted to organize some things and implement some better storage systems.  This quarter wasn’t a complete failure, but it definitely wasn’t a stellar success.

 I did go through my clothes and box up the things I don’t wear to get them ready to ship to Thread Up.  And the box is still sitting in the living room.  I need to print the label, tape it to the box, and take it to the post office.  It doesn’t sound like a complicated thing, does it?  Somehow , though, it’s something I’ve been neglecting to do.  Charlie is thrilled to have a big box sitting around, and is the self-appointed Guardian of THE Box. 



 I did a little bit of food storage reorganization.  I think the changes I made are going to help keep things more organized going forward.  That’s always the real test; to see if whatever system works and keeps working. 

And that’s it on the organizing front. 

Health:

I still need to lose more weight.  I haven’t been as careful with my food choices over the summer.  To be honest, I’ve succumbed to the temptation of summer favorites like ice cream, toasted marshmallows, and grilled hamburgers.  The good news is that I’ve done it with enough moderation that I haven’t gained any weight.  The bad news is that I haven’t lost any weight.  It feels like I’ve just stalled.

On the exercise front, I did meet, and exceed, my goal of getting up to 30 laps in the pool.  35.2 laps in the pool at our gym is a mile, and my personal best is now 36 laps. 

I also wanted to incorporate some upper body weight lifting exercises into my routine.  Nick showed me how to use the machines at the gym, and I’ve been using them almost every time we go and I walk on the treadmill.  I don’t use them on the days I swim because I really feel like swimming gives my arms enough of a workout.  I’m still at 10 pounds, which is the lowest weight, on one of the machines.  I’m up to 25 pounds on a few of them.  And I’m sort of up to 40 pounds on two of them.  I can only do 10 repetitions at the 40 pound weight, and only after I’ve done a round at a lower weight. 

My arms are nowhere near toned, but I do think they’re a little less flabby.  I also feel like my upper body strength, which has always been pretty much nonexistent, is a little better.  I’m still not the person anyone would choose to move furniture with, but I do see a slight improvement. 

I think I did mostly okay on the health front, though I’m very disappointed with myself for not losing more weight. 

Environment:

My main environmental goal for the quarter was to switch from paper napkins to cloth napkins, and to switch from paper towels to reusable cleaning rags. 

I’m very happy to report that we’ve been hugely successful on that front.  The cloth napkins I had been eyeing on Amazon were marked down on Prime Day, so I ordered two sets. 


I was a little worried that it would take some time and be difficult to get into the habit of using cloth napkins instead of paper ones, but it has been an incredibly easy switch.  The cloth napkins are much more pleasant to use, and it helps that I like the colors.  We just wash them with our towels, so it really doesn’t feel like there’s any extra effort required.  

We still use paper napkins for picnics, and I suspect we’ll still use them when we have large groups of people over for a meal.  Overall, though, we’re sticking with using the cloth napkins.


 We’ve also mostly switched from paper towels and Clorox wipes to reusable cleaning rags.  We still use paper towels for some of the dirtier jobs, and I still like to use Clorox wipes in the kitchen to clean up after raw meat, but we’re mostly using reusable cleaning rags. 

I also wanted to be much more consistent about composting.  I’m happy to say we’ve done well there.  Our trash output definitely appears to be lower, thanks to being more diligent about composting and recycling.  And we were able to use some of our own compost when we planted a bush.  That made me pretty happy; not only did that not end up in a landfill, but hopefully it will help our gardenia bush to thrive. 

Personal/Miscellaneous: 

I had the goal of getting caught up on my goodreads goal.  My goal for 2019 is 52 books.  I’m sorry to say that I’m still six books behind.   I also had the goal of reading more non-fiction.  I read exactly one non-fiction book, Marie Kondo’s The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up.  I’m planning to write a post about it soon.  So definitely a huge fail on the reading front. 

My other goal was to learn two new crochet stitches.  I did make some progress in learning how to crochet, but I’m not really sure how to classify it.  My aunt helped me with some things when she came to visit. 

I feel much more confident now about counting the stitches, and how to turn the work.  Turning it sounds like such a small (and obvious) thing, but it was something I had missed in the videos.  Knowing that seems to be helping a lot.   She also explained how I kept getting weird humps (from accidentally going into the same stitch over and over). 

Aunt Diana did show me two different stitches.  I haven’t mastered them, but I think I have made some progress.  Mostly she helped me with things that are a little harder to quantify like how to hold the yarn, how loose/tight to make the stitches, and what to try next.  She said the stitches that I learned from videos were fairly good, and that I just need practice, so it was nice to hear that I’m mostly on the right track. 

It doesn’t sound like much, but overall I’m fairly happy with the crochet progress I made.  It’s the little things, right? 


Blogging:

Fail, fail, fail.  Huge, gigantic, epic fail.  My goal was to post three times a week, and I only posted a total of seven times during the whole quarter.  So not even close.

I will say that it’s helpful to look over this list, and to be able to track things for a quarter.  It has definitely given me some ideas as to what I need to work on for the next quarter, which will be my next post.  

So what about you?  Did you have any specific goals you wanted to achieve during the last quarter?  How did you do with meeting them?  

11 comments:

  1. Your crochet is looking pretty good. Perhaps you should just work in the round ;) Then you won't have to worry about pesky flipping back and forth.

    I don't know what it is about those little things, like shipping a box. I have a product that needs to go back, and I just haven't done it, and it's been weeks. Today I even printed out the return form, and it's been sitting there. Good luck getting the box sent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle, I love that you've made progress in almost everything. Small progress matters, too, so big thumbs up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't look at the things you didn't accomplish as fails, look at them as a learning experience. Perhaps you were too energetic in your goal setting with how often to blog plus how many books to read, etc. Maybe set "gentler" goals and then if you exceed them, it will be a more positive mindset. Actually maintaining weight is a great thing to do especially if you enjoyed the summer foods. That meant that you learned lessons in moderation and that's key for keeping the weight off. I'm not too much of a goal maker these days. More of a to do list to try to get through on my days off, LOL, and try to keep on top of things as best I can. It would be neat if Liz lived closer; she'd be a great crochet teacher!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goal for 2019 was to try one new thing a week, which I've exceeded, so I'm happy about that. You've done great with so many goals!

    I'm interested in the cloth napkin idea. I generally only use them for holidays when people come for dinner. Do you wash them after each use or just when they seem dirty? I'm also interested in composting but worry that it would attract even more animal problems than we already have. Do you have that issue?

    Great job on accomplishing so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you did great! Just having a goal to work forward to is better than sitting idle. Every little bit counts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so envious of you and what you have creatively produced. When not on caring duties or editing my books, I long to return to other creative projects 🌹

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to hear there's at least some improvement with the household goals.

    I think you did great with the health goal, personally. OK, so you didn't lose weight, which is a shame. On oth other hand, since you admit yourself you ate more treats than you should have, and did some muscle toning, just the fact you stayed the same is great. Muscle is heavier than fat, after all.

    Awesome that you've done so well on the environmental side of things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've decided that the secret to success is to set really low goals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you are doing fabulously with your goals. Especially with the health which I have to say I need to get on the stick to do. And the organizing/decluttering. Bravo. My book goal is 52 and I'm at about 48 right now. But I also want to read more pages than last year so I've a ways to go there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great porgies Danielle. i plan to organize my genealogy info for a family gathering next summer. It’s a winter project.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.