Saturday, April 4, 2020

What We Ate Last Week: 3/29/20 - 4/3/20

It seems like quite a few of us are turning to food for comfort right now.  Bijoux made the comment on one of my recent posts that we’re living for food now.  That certainly seems to be the case for us. 

It also seems like it’s hard to find some items in the stores right now, leading to some creative substitutions, and a lot of people are cooking much more than they’re used to. 

I think reading other people’s blogs involves a certain amount of voyeurism, in a totally non-creepy way.  It’s nice to get a peak at how other people live, and it’s especially interesting right now, when everyone’s world seems to have shrunk down, to get a little peak into someone else’s.  To that end, I thought I’d share a weekly menu post.  The Frugal Girl does a weekly menu post every Friday, and I enjoy reading those.  It’s also a great way to get ideas when you’re drawing a blank on what to make for dinner. 

So here’s what we had:

Sunday: I haven’t been handling social distancing and some other things very well.  I’m following the rules, but I’ve also spent more time than I care to admit wallowing in fear and sadness.  That means I kind of let a lot of household chores go, so we spent all day on Sunday getting the house back in good shape.  We were pretty wiped out after that, so we ordered pizza from Papa John’s, and had a no-contact delivery.  We’re both still working our normal hours, so we also tipped a little more than usual.

Monday: Potato Soup and Beer Bread.    We’re running a little low on all-purpose flour, so I made it using the self-rising flour version.  I did still add some salt.  It was just as good as usual, so whichever method you choose will be delicious.

Tuesday: We still had lots of potato soup left, but wanted a little break from it, so Nick made calzones for dinner.  He makes really good calzones! 

Wednesday: Broccoli cheddar soup and leftover beer bread.  I made a few modifications to the recipe.  I always add more garlic, and a few sprinkles of cayenne pepper to this recipe.  I’ve made quite a few recipes from this site, and overall we like them, but they do lean a little more toward the bland side, so I recommend adding a little more seasoning than the recipe calls for.  We also don’t have much shredded cheddar cheese on hand, so I substituted Velveeta cheese instead.  I didn’t think to measure, and just added cubes of Velveeta until it looked good.  I think it can work with varying amounts, it just depends on how indulgent you want it to be.  The recipe calls for fresh broccoli, which is what I’ve always used.  Our neighbor has used frozen broccoli, and says it works well.  She’s a great cook, so I’m inclined to trust her on that.


Thursday: The chili I posted about here.


Friday: Leftovers. 

Saturday/Today: I think we’ll probably be having chicken tacos. 

I also made this apple crisp, and we’ve been enjoying it all week.  In case you can’t tell, I definitely use food as a coping mechanism.  This has plenty of butter and sugar, so it’s great comfort food. 


Breakfasts have been egg and cheese tortillas or cereal.  Lunches are pretty much always leftovers from the day or two before.

So what about you?  Are you eating more comfort food lately?  What did you eat last week?

9 comments:

  1. We are pretty much following our usual eating style. To help local businesses we order in Sunday lunch and Tuesday dinner. Hubby cooks something special Friday. I will post what he made last night in my next post. I am trying to avoid too many comfort foods so as not to gain weight. I do admit I am drinking wine more often during the week to help me get restful sleep which I am now cutting back on to avoid those calories.

    Betty

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to say all you ate last week looked and sounded yummy!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve tried a few new recipes and we always have enough for two days or more. I love those days without much cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been eating pretty normally, actually. My food choices are limited by most standards as I'm incredibly picky. For example, I can't do mustard or mayonnaise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally went to the grocery store yesterday and got fresh salmon so we could grill. Tonight we had steak on the grill. I also made a strawberry rhubarb pie from scratch. Will be having a big salad tomorrow night to start using up the fresh veggies I bought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Normal as we know it has certainly changed. We ordered some food for curbside pickup tomorrow from a grocery store. We will see which items were in stock, and go form there. Hopefully they will have the lettuce, because we would love a salad right now. Stay well, stay safe, and stay healthy, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been doing great! It all sounds delicious! We had burgers and frozen fries on Friday and last night sweet potato/sausage hash with poached eggs. I had a couple of frozens, and earlier in the week theenglishkitchen.com's curried chicken casserole. We have to figure out Easter. We're thinking jambalaya as we have sausage and shrimp in the freezer. I really am nervous about Rick going to the store, so we'll see what happens. We may try for delivery this week. I think it will not be a good week... Thanks so much for coming by my blog. I'll try to get back to responding directly to comments soon but I'm a little overwhelmed these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these kinds of posts; I always find it interesting learning what others have had on their menus.

    Papa John's is my favourite pizza place. They're not the cheapest, but they have an awesome vegan pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not really a comfort food person, but I do like my food. Looks like some tasty meals there. The broccoli cheddar soup looks good. Generally we're just eating our usual dishes, as we've been able to get all the basics despite a few empty supermarket shelves.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.