Monday, April 6, 2020

My Masks Need A Mask

Now that the recommendations for avoiding the spread of COVID-19 include wearing cloth masks in addition to social distancing and hand washing, I’m trying to learn to make masks.  As are a lot people.

The more popular choice seems to be sewing pleated masks. 

I can’t sew.  And I positively hate the idea of sewing.  We don’t own a sewing machine.  We don't have fabric.  I think we have some needles and thread somewhere, but I wouldn't swear to that.  Honestly, there are have been times that I’ve super glued (or even hot glued) a button back on or a hem back in.  I.  HATE.  Sewing. 

But, there are also patterns for crocheted face masks. 

I’ve been trying to learn to crochet for about a year now.  I’m left-handed, which makes it a little harder to find someone who’s willing and able to teach me.  And I’m really NOT good at trying to learn something like that from a right-handed person.  My mom is right-handed and my dad is left-handed.  Dad ended up being the one to teach me to write, tie my shoes, and all of the things like that.  So my crochet progress has been slow.  Very, very, very slow.

I’ve been working on granny squares.  I think I’m slowly getting the hang of it, now that we’re not going anywhere, and I have more time on my hands.  I found a video that goes through everything, from the slipknot to tying off.  I’ve probably watched the video 100 times.  I’ve almost memorized the pattern.  I enjoy repetition, and it seems to be the best way for me to learn.

My stack of granny squares.

My sister (who has no desire to crochet) now has the idea that I know how to crochet.  She tagged me in a post on Facebook with a pattern for a crochet face mask.  It wasn’t in English.  So I looked for one that was.  I found several, but I’m not great at reading patterns yet.  I looked for videos and finally found one left-handed tutorial. 

I thought I could follow along with that one, but a few of the stitches were ones I haven’t learned yet, and the quality of the video wasn’t great, so I couldn’t quite figure it out.  I watched a few more videos and decided to try to make one on my own, using stitches I know. 

The basic idea seems to be a sort of pouch with straps, and you put a liner (coffee filters and cut up cotton t-shirts seem to be the popular choices) inside it.  Obviously, this isn’t a medical grade mask, and it’s certainly not any kind of sure protection.  But it is, apparently, one more layer of potential protection.  To me, that’s worth trying. 

When you’ve spent the last three weeks realizing that everything you’ve ever learned to do is absolutely useless in the midst of this pandemic, and you’re tucked up safely at home while people you love and care about are out in the middle of it, you grasp at anything you can do to possibly help protect them. 

So began my efforts at making what are surely the world’s ugliest masks.

This is the first one, which Nick wore to work today. 




Our neighbor works in a home improvement store, so I sent her a text (with a picture so she would know exactly how hideous it looked) and asked if she wanted one.  She said she did.  So I made a second one for her.

I don’t think there’s much (any?) improvement in this one.  Again, though, it should cover her nose and mouth, which is all it really has to do to serve its intended purpose.



I posted pictures on Facebook asking friends who crochet for tips on what I’m doing wrong, and how to do a better job.  Apparently I need to keep careful count of my stitches.  A friend, Jane, experimented and made one (that’s far less bulky than the monstrosities I’m making) and wrote out the pattern for anyone who wants to use it.  I’m going to attempt that one tomorrow.   Because, unfortunately, it looks like there’s going to continue to be a need for masks, so I’m going to keep at it.   Wish me luck!

Jane says she’ll have some classes and teach all of us who are trying to learn once this pandemic is over.  There’s talk of a crochet group.  I love that idea!  It’s something to look forward to, for one thing.  

So what about you?  Are you wearing a mask?  Are you making masks?  Have you seen a mask that looks more hideous than mine?  Any suggestions for how to make mine better? 

9 comments:

  1. My lefty daughter learns so much from YouTube videos for lefties too.

    I haven’t resorted to masks yet but we have some regular masks purchased some time ago. Our number of cases here has stayed at 22 since last week and 8 have recovered. If the count increases, the masks will come out, though I did a grocery run yesterday and we’ll be good for more than two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm only going to the grocery store every other week, but my husband made a few masks with tshirts and rubber bands. Honestly, I'm unsure how I can breathe in one for any length of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on mastering the squares, then on to mask-making. My MIL taught me squares years ago, all of which I’ve long since forgotten how to do. I stopped when the yarn I was using was no longer available. Didn’t have enough squares to make anything much and never learned how to put them together anyway. I may try a non-sew mask at some point cause my sewing machine is on the fritz, has been for several years and I’ve never gotten around to having someone fix it. Have avoided stores for several weeks and likely will for several more as I have enough food to manage. I usually only shopped every several weeks before the virus so this is just an extension for me, but I’m not having a family to feed or even another person. Good luck whatever you continue crocheting as you seem to have figured out the technique. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go on the masks you made so far!! I think they look good and I'm sure with each one you will improve in your efforts to make them! Hubby made some from bandannas and the like with elastic pony tail holder types of things to hold them together. He saw something similar to do on YouTube. Honestly we take them with us but we don't use them too often. I'll be talking to my DIL who works at Stitch Fix and they are still working (warehouse) this afternoon. I'm going to ask her if they are using masks there at work.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of crocheting masks. Good for you! I don't sew either. I'm just wearing a bandana till the masks I ordered arrive.
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I broke down and knitted a mask. I finished it yesterday. It's pretty hideous. It needs to be lined, so I'll get to that eventually.

    I think the only thing I would say about yours is to use single crochet rather than double. It'll take longer to get the size you want, but it'll be a little denser.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds to me like you're on the right track, and just need practice. Keep it up. Also, well done for finally learning to crochet.

    No. I'm not wearing one. Sorry, but until they make it illegal not to, I just can't. I can't deal with things over my face (so much so that I actually ask for the tubes up my nose rather than having the mask if I have to have oxygen any time I'm in hospital, and just talking about the idea of me wearing one is making me want to shield myself from the mask-weilding people attempting to make me wear one). Luckily, I'm not going out much anyhow. But even when I have to go out... Sorry, but I just can't. I'll do it if they make it a legal requirement. But until they do... No. Being asthmatic, maybe I should. On the other hand, since having to wear one would cause issues with my anxiety (and I already don't really have that under control properly right now) I'm sure you can appreciate why I'm not wearing one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your masks are very cute and if you aren't out much, they'll be fine. I have been wearing a mask in any space where a person might pass by or if I am in public (which is rare). I have one my doc gave me and some I've made. CDC.gov says they should be from a tightly woven material, like a cotton. There are TONS of no-sew masks online (google no-sew mask) that take about five minutes to make. You can make one from a bandana, a dinner napkin or an old shirt that you don't mind cutting up. The only other thing you need is two rubber bands, elastic or you can make ties from the shirt you cut up. If you want, you can put a coffee filter in them. They should be washed whenever you wear them in a public venue (if you are for a walk and don't see people, or in your yard, you can get more than one wear before washing. They should be washed in HOT water with soap and if possible dried in a hot dryer. Don't use the microwave (a friend tried this -- not so good!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to go, Danielle. I think it's great that you're crocheting those masks! We used bandanas and rubber bands, with a shop paper towel in the middle. We don't have a sewing machine here, either.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.