Friday, July 30, 2021

A Few Random Things

This is kind of a miscellaneous post since none of these things are enough for their own post, but I do want to start blogging more regularly.

Since this kind of post isn’t complete without a random cat picture, here’s one of Caroline.  This was one of the times she “helped” me while I was working from home. 


Speaking of working from home, after doing it for so long I seem to have lost all faith in my ability to dress appropriately for being at work.  I seem to text my sister about once a week asking if something matches.  This was the latest.  We decided that it does match. 

It was HOT here yesterday.  It rained a lot earlier in the week, then got really hot, which is perfect weather for the yard to turn into a jungle if we’re not careful.  So, we agreed to make sure we cut the grass after work yesterday.  I mowed, Nick used the weed-eater for all of the places the mower doesn’t fit, and in some of the places where the grass was so long that the mower needed a little help.  It had only been six days since we cut the grass the time before!  I’m not kidding when I say it can turn into a jungle.  Quickly!

Did I mention that it was hot?!?  Nick doesn’t normally sweat, but he was sweaty yesterday.  I always get sweaty, but yesterday I could actually wring sweat out of my clothes, which is really gross.  We’ve definitely reached the part of the summer when we are completely over cutting the grass. 

Apparently, Duke found it exhausting to hang out in the air-conditioned house and watch us mow his yard.  He has a hard life.


After we finished with the yard and got showers, we were starving, but it was still too hot to want anything heavy.  So we opted for a snacky dinner of fruit, hard-boiled eggs, cheese, and crackers.  


The cheese was a Wensleydale, which I’d never had before.  I bought it at Aldi.  And I’m honest enough to admit that I bought it because of Wallace and Gromit.  I’ll also admit that we discussed our Wensleydale in very, very bad British accents.  No disrespect to those of you with British accents.  We both love the accent but are both terrible at doing most accents. 

Our Wensleydale (Are you reading that in Wallace’s accent?) was honey lemon flavored.  After Googling it, we learned that the texture is somewhat dry and crumbly.  We both liked it.  I think it might have been a little better served with something that wasn’t also dry like the crackers were.  We still have some Wensleydale left, and I’m thinking about getting some strawberries or melon to serve with it.   I’m definitely open to suggestions on how best to serve Wensleydale. 

So what about you?  Are you a fan of Wallace and Gromit and/or Wensleydale?  Do you doubt your ability to dress appropriately after spending so much time at home?  Is it HOT where you are?

14 comments:

  1. That’s my kind of dinner. I’ve heard of those characters but have never seen them. I am also unfamiliar with that cheese. I would take a cheese class if it was ever offered so I could learn about new cheeses.

    We have to cut our grass every 6 days because of the rain. It’s been very hot and humid here so that I have to wait to walk at 7 pm. I still end up sweating, even sticking to the shade. But, still better than snow!

    Glad you are blogging! Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cheese class would be awesome! Especially if you learned how to serve it and what to pair it with.

      I want the weather to cool down some, but this is definitely better than snow.

      Delete
  2. I never heard of Wensleydale cheese. I looked it up on google. Now I'm going to check in our "fancy" stores carry it. I can't imagine finding it at Wal-Mart lol. Your dinner looks yummy!! I like eating light when it is hot out.

    Caroline in the picture looks a bit mad. Tough day at work for her back then :)

    Hubby cuts the grass about once a week. It grew a lot this week since we had rain last Thursday, Friday and Sunday. He's gotten Winslow used to the sound of the lawn mower (electric) and weed eater without barking or going crazy around them (same with the vacuum cleaner). The leaf blower is still a work in progress though :)

    Have a great weekend!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't call Aldi "fancy," but they do have a lot of different cheeses and they usually have some cool seasonal stuff.

      That's Caroline's "I'm the one in charge of this" look.

      That's a lot of rain for y'all, isn't it?

      Duke has never cared about the noise from the mower or weed eater. If it's not too hot, he just plays in another part of the yard while we mow or weed eat.

      Delete
  3. I'm not much of a cheese person, so no, I haven't heard of that cheese before. And while I know who Wallace & Gromit are, I haven't watched the show/movie.

    Have you heard of Thursday 13? For those kind of random posts, I've been doing the Thursday 13. It's kinda fun. (https://newthursday13.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shows are really cute. I didn't expect to like them, but I was pleasantly surprised.

      The Thursday 13 looks fun. Thanks for the link.

      Delete
  4. What a fun post! I love your cat, and your dog seems to be very sensible to behave like that in hot weather! Your food plate looks great. I'm not a fan o Wallace and Gromit, but I do like wensleydale cheese. I love all cheeses, and enjoy the big variety here at the farmer's market, where you always get tasters before you buy! I'm glad our back yard gets cut by a gardener, so I don't have to help! Have a great weekend, hugs to you all, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like most cheeses, and I love the idea of tasting before you buy. We pay one of the neighbor kids to cut the grass when we're really busy with work, but didn't have a good excuse to last week.

      Delete
  5. I am glad to be at the time of life when I don’t have to worry about work attire. I love the solid and pattern you put together for work!

    The expression on the dog’s face and the cat’s eyes are priceless.

    Our grass has stopped growing and is mowed less often this time of year. I can only imagine how quickly your grows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote of confidence on the outfit.

      I'm shocked that your grass has already stopped growing! We have at least another 2.5 months of cutting ours every week.

      Delete
  6. I've never had Wensleydale cheese. Kudos to you both for trying something new! :)

    Duke is a smart dog, obviously, to stay inside where it's cool during the hot summer.

    I noticed that it took me longer to get dressed for when I went to the office for the first time in 1 1/2 year. So funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend trying Wensleydale. We're usually pretty open to trying new foods.

      I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with real work clothes. It's definitely a change going from shorts and t-shirts to suitable office attire.

      Delete
  7. I'm a huge fan of "Wallace and Gromit"
    and if it makes you feel any better, I don't have an accent like theirs, and could never pass up the oppertunity to say, "More cheese, Gromit?" in an attempt at Wallace's accent whenever Wensleydale was mentioned. ;)

    If you're going to have Wensleydale just on crackers, you'll want to butter the crackers first in my opinion. Otherwise adding something to it is a good idea. Try it with cranberries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pets are pretty adorable. I am concerned about dressing habits once I return to the office since I have been wearing sweat pants and shorts for the most part. It is going to be interesting. Hot and smoky here from all of the forest fires. Have a good rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.