Monday, November 20, 2017

A Catch Up Post

Somehow it has been over two months since I’ve posted anything.  As usual, I’m not sure where the time has gone.  I think it has mostly been spent on normal, day to day things.

We participated in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s on September 30th.  Normally we choose a walk within about an hour of us that coincides with a weekend Nick has off, but this time we were able to join a walk close to home, which was nice.  We decided to bring the dogs since it was close to home, and in a dog friendly location.  We dressed them up with purple bandanas, and brought them along.  They seemed to have a good time, and behaved reasonably well. 

Duke always gets a lot of attention because of the missing leg.  He loves people, and is always happy to make new friends, so it works out well.  People are usually surprised by how well he gets around, and a lot of people were very impressed to see a three legged dog out walking to help find a cure for Alzheimer’s.  It was one of those days that kind of helps to restore your faith in humanity.  We live in a small town, but the turnout for the walk was good, and it exceeded the fund-raising goal.  Random strangers kept asking if Duke and Chuzoo needed water (we had water for them, but I thought it was nice that people asked), and some of the coordinators asked if Duke needed a ride back to the parking lot.  He was fine (I promise he really does get around perfectly fine), but it was very nice of them to offer that.   

I do have one very exciting (at least for us) piece of new to share, though.

Nick is finally on a normal schedule!  If you’ve been around for a while, you may remember that he works in a branch of the emergency services.  That meant that he had a pretty varied work schedule, with alternating nights and days, lots of weekends, and most holidays.  He has now moved to new position within another division, and works straight week days, with holidays and most weekends off.  It coincides almost perfectly with my work schedule.  He goes in and gets off an hour before I do, but we have the same holidays off, and we’re both off on the weekends now.  I had my doubts about it happening when his transfer date kept getting pushed back, but it finally happened at the beginning of October, and it has been wonderful. 

We’ve been together for ten years, and this is the first time we’ve ever had the same work schedule.  Mine has always been straight Monday through Friday, so that meant we really didn’t see much of each other most of the time. 

We made plans for pretty much every night for the first week or so that he was on the new schedule, but that really wasn’t sustainable.  We’ve mostly worked out our new normal.  It’s nice that it’s not such an ordeal to schedule things now, and we’ve finally knocked out a few projects that have been on the to do list for much longer than I care to admit.  Some things around the house just take both members of the household.  It’s such a simple thing, but being able to do those things, and eat dinner together has been a big deal for us.

One of the best things about Nick’s new schedule, though, is that he has the holidays off now.  I am so excited about Thanksgiving this year!  It will be the second one that Nick has had off in the ten years we’ve been together.   We talked about it, and didn’t want to stop taking Thanksgiving Dinner to the hospice house here, so we are still doing that.  We’re taking the meal there for lunch, and then are having our own Thanksgiving celebration at home that evening.  We’ve invited various friends and neighbors.  It won’t be a big crowd, but we’re excited to finally be able to host Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving. 

There are a few people who have other plans during the day, but are planning to come for dessert since ours is later in the day.  It seems like a great way to see more people, and I have an excuse to make more desserts that way. 

I spoke to the volunteer coordinator at the hospice house today, and she was incredibly nice.  They’re all set for us to show up with the food, and as usual, have been just wonderful to deal with.

One of my coworkers volunteered to make the pies for the hospice house.  Kim’s pies are much prettier than mine, so I’m sure they’ll be appreciated.  She’s making two pumpkin, an apple, and a cherry pie.  I’m making chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter icing and an apple cake with browned butter icing to round out the desserts. 

The dinner menu is turkey, gravy, dressing, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, ham, green bean casserole, macaroni and cheese, cranberry sauce, and rolls.  The hospice house didn’t offer much feedback as to anything they’d like done differently this year, so I’m sticking to mostly the same menu and portions as last year. 

The dinner menu at home will be the same.  For desserts at home there will be pumpkin pie, apple cake with browned butter icing, chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter icing, a fruit cobbler (I’m still trying to decide between apple and cherry) and maybe a pound cake. 

I’m excited.  I love Thanksgiving, and I love cooking for people, so I’m pretty happy with the way things have worked out. 

I had a brief moment of feeling creative, and wanted to decorate a little bit for Thanksgiving, so I decided to put together some fall wreaths for the doors.  I am normally not an arts and crafts person, at all, but it’s really hard to find fall decorations that aren’t ridiculously expensive.  So I decided to give it a try.  I think they came out reasonably well, especially considering the fact that I had no idea what I was doing.  That’s probably it for my attempts at creativity outside of the kitchen for a while, but I am choosing to call it a success. 

So how have the past couple of months been for you?  What are your plans for Thanksgiving?

10 comments:

  1. That is so exciting about Nick having that new schedule!! Glad he was able to get that position and with it that schedule! What a great cause to walk for along with the dogs; nice so many friendly people there too. Great that you are continuing the tradition of the meal at the hospice house. I am sure it is very much appreciated! Sounds like you got a great plan to celebrate Thanksgiving too with family and friends!

    Not blogging much these days but reading posts :) Thanksgiving will be quiet, just hubby and me, but it will be nice and a day to indeed be thankful!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, forgot to say Happy Thanksgiving!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice walk you had with the dogs. How nice you and your hubby get to share the same work schedule. it'll be great i'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful you both are on the same schedule now. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great that you're both on the same schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well no wonder you haven't been writing posts! Your beloved has been home! Duke is a trouper eh?! I love him. I'd offer him water too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a wonderful post, Danielle. I'm so very happy that your schedules are in synch. Yes, I'll bet that's high on your thankful list. I love that you are doing so many good things for others -- the walk, your Hospice dinners. That makes my heart smile. And I know this will be such a special Thanksgiving with friends and being together. I hope it's better than fabulous!

    Thanks for coming over to the Gypsy and your comment. Happy Week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great about the walk you did, and how more money was raised than expected. I'm sure the dogs loved every moment of it.

    I'm glad you and Nick are now able to be on the same schedules for work, and hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for catching us up, Danielle! I'm so glad about Nick's new schedule. How awesome that you are both on the same one now! :)

    I love that you are so outward-focused. It's wonderful that you do the Alzheimer's Walk and visit the hospice on Thanksgiving. Thank you for your friendship, and for being you.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.