Monday, February 22, 2021

Masks

I know this post is really, really late in the grand scheme of wearing masks, but it seems like wearing masks will be going on for quite a while, so maybe better late than never.  And I’ve seen a few other people post about their masks, so I decided to as well.

Obviously, we’re wearing masks.  North Carolina has a mask mandate in place, though it’s not rigorously enforced everywhere.  We’ve been making a point of supporting businesses that do enforce it, and not supporting the ones that don’t.  It’s something we both feel very strongly about.  

That being said, it took some getting used to remembering to always bring a mask, and some trial and error to figure out the best way to organize them.  It seems like it’s always a little hectic trying to leave the house, and we’ve learned to keep things we need to take with us near the door.  We hang our keys near the door, so we decided hanging masks near the door would work.

We put up this hook for them.  



It’s very sturdy, so whenever things are back to normal we plan to use the hook for things like bags of library books that need to be returned and other things that need to be taken somewhere else.

We have a lot of masks.  It took some trial and error to find the ones that are most comfortable.  And Nick hasn’t been able to work from home, so that’s a mask every day, two now that the CDC has started recommending double masking, plus additional masks for any time I have to go into the office, or any time we have to take pets to the vet or go anywhere else.  Since they can’t go in the dryer, I wanted to make sure we had plenty of extras for the times when we get behind on laundry.  So we have a lot of masks.

We’ve also been following the guidance to wash them after every use.  I feel like the guidance to treat them like underwear; don’t touch them/take them off in public, wash them after every use, etc. is pretty simple to understand and follow.  

We have this bag hanging near the door to collect the dirty masks.  It’s just a reusable bag that I used to take to Aldi. 


It’s washable, and I periodically wash it along with the masks.  I know we could just put the used masks in the laundry hamper with everything else, but there’s a lot of potential for the mask to be taken off and left somewhere else in the house on the way to the hamper.  Since there have been cases of animals getting COVID, we don’t want to risk Duke or the cats getting sick from a contaminated mask, so the bag near the door works well for us.  We come in, put the mask in the bag, and immediately wash our hands.  

All of the masks that we’ve bought say to hand wash or wash on the gentle cycle, so they all go in the washer on the hand wash cycle.  Early on, I put them in with other things that were washed on the hand wash cycle, but the masks tend to get caught up in sleeves and pant legs.  A few accidentally went through the dryer that way, and I felt like I had to throw them away after that.  I wasn’t sure if they’d still be  effective, so I threw them away.  After that, I started counting the masks and making sure I had hung up the right number of masks before I put anything in the dryer.  That kept me from ruining any more masks, but it was a pain, so now I just wash the masks by themselves. 


It was a challenge figuring out how to dry so many masks at once.  We can’t hang them anywhere within reach of the cats because Caroline and Mortimer will chew the straps.  And a mask with no straps is pretty much useless.  The best method I’ve come up with is using a straight plastic clip hanger like this, so I can put several masks on one hanger.  Then I put the hanger on one of the hooks we have over our bedroom and closet doors.  




The cats can’t reach them, and they get plenty of air to dry.  

I decided early on to get masks in cute/cheerful prints/patterns.  There definitely hasn’t been much joy and happiness during the pandemic, so I decided to put a little bit of happiness wherever I could, and cute masks make me a little bit happier than plain ones. 
 
I’m a Friends fanatic, so of course I have a Friends mask.



Nick is a huge Star Trek fan, so he has a Star Trek mask.



If you’ve visited much, you know I love to cook, so I  have a mask with a cooking print.  



Nick loves sloths, so he has a sloth mask.


It should come as no surprise to anyone that most of my masks have butterflies.


Unfortunately, Nick’s job doesn’t share my view that cute masks bring a little bit of happiness, and they have a policy of solid color masks only.  They adopted that policy fairly early on, so Nick only has a few masks with prints.  We have a lot of solid colored masks, since Nick has to wear masks a lot more often than I do.  I’ve bought masks in pretty much every possible shade of blue since that’s Nick’s favorite color.  I refuse to give up on trying to squeeze a little bit of beauty and happiness into wearing masks.

My job, while being very strict about enforcing the mask mandate, has said we can wear any kind of mask we want as long as it’s not offensive.  So I still get to wear my happy masks whenever I go into the office.  Most of my coworkers have opted for solid colored masks anyway, but I don’t think it surprises anyone when the person with the pink office shows up in a mask with butterflies or rainbow hearts.  

So what about you?  Did you have a hard time getting used to remembering to bring a mask?  Do you prefer patterned or solid color masks?  


12 comments:

  1. I love all of your masks and definitely looks like you have a good organization system in place. We have always had hooks like that near the door so it was automatic to have them hanging there. We also keep a little stack of extras in our vehicles. I took the easy route and only use disposables. I bought packs of 50 in black, white, and tie-dye. We just toss in the garbage after using.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely makes life easier having hookd by the door.

      Delete
  2. You have a great system set up! We are the same way about cloth masks, only wearing once and then throwing in a small plastic tub in the laundry room. I have some terry cloth ones that I do put in the dryer, but the nylon and cotton ones I hang dry because of the elastic ear bands. When the numbers went up, we switched to K95s because I think they offer better protection than cloth. We are not going anywhere where we are seated or remaining in the same room with others, so I’m not worried about doubling up. My husband has his own office so he can shut the door and very few people have even returned to his building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Do the terry cloth masks make you feel hot? I haven't seen any of those. I'd be less concerned about doubling up if everyone wore them, but that is definitely not the case here, so we're doubling up. I can usually close my door, too, whenever I have to go into the office, so I don't usually have to wear masks for very long. Nick is rarely alone at work, so spends a lot of time wearing a mask.

      Delete
    3. I misspoke on the material. It’s not terry cloth, it’s more like jersey material I think. They are two layers and soft, not hot at all.

      Delete
  3. You have a great system.

    Ours is simple. Clean masks are left in the car. At least when we forget to put one on going towards a store, the mask is close by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea to keep them in the car. You definitely won't leave home without them that way.

      Delete
  4. This is great. I have a hook set-up in the kitchen similar to what you have by the door (my kitchen is by the door) and it's effective. But I really like the idea of the bag to put them in. Makes sense. I dry mine over the shower bar, which works pretty well but I think your system might be even better and take less room.

    I guess most of mine are printed but I have some solids and I really don't care either way -- I think they're both useful, depending on what I wear. Not that I color coordinate things all the time but it's nice to know you can. I have heavier ones. lighter ones. But now I'm wearing two most all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our bag hangs on the door leading into our kitchen, so not too different from your set up.
      It just makes life easier to have a specific place for the worn ones. It's not an issue right now, but during the summer when the humidity was high, they took a while to dry. And it's a pain to move them somewhere else to shower if I hang them on the shower rod, so I had to come up with something else.

      I'm impressed that you go to the trouble of trying to color coordinate sometimes.

      Delete
  5. I created a hook system for mine, too. Since my "elastic" is all knit, it's not a problem if I run mine through the dryer. All of mine were made by me (well, one I bought), so I used fabric I had on hand. No fun prints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving having hooks for things. I'm impressed that you've made almost all of yours! I tried, but it just didn't work.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.