Tuesday, July 24, 2018

We Have Blackberries!

We were able to pick blackberries from our own backyard over the weekend.  We planted the bush last year, and were fairly certain that Duke destroyed it, but to our delight it came back this year.  And now we have blackberries.

We had more berries than this, but we both ate while we picked, so this is all that made it for the picture.  We have lots more berries that aren’t ripe yet, so it looks like we’ll be enjoying blackberries for a while.

I’m ridiculously proud of these.  It’s our first time growing berries, so I’m pretty excited.  It still amazes me when we plant something and it grows and produces food.   There’s just something so satisfying about walking out into your own backyard to pick what you’ve planted and grown yourself.  And I love blackberries. 

We plan to add another blackberry bush next year, and maybe try a raspberry bush, too.  You can’t have too many berries, right? 

Are you growing any berries?  What’s your favorite berry?  If you have an abundance of blackberries, and are looking for a way to use them, here’s a recipe for Blackberry & Mint Green Tea

10 comments:

  1. That awesome! My fave is black raspberries, which are a bit different from blackberries. We can't grow much like this due to the deer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum on the blackberries! I do like them! Growing no berries here, I think the heat would kill them, LOL :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to have fresh berries from your own garden! I would have to go with raspberries as my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The joys of summer fruit. Glad the berries survived. So, there's a list of things you can make when you've been berried out and given away as much as you can. Because, that's what can happen. I had a plum tree in my backyard while growing up. So many plums...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love blackberries. There were wild bushes by the side of my grandmother’s house. I was the only one who picked them. Lucky me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, delicious! I love the first sentence of your second paragraph: "We had more berries than this, but we both ate while we picked, so this is all that made it for the picture." :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummy blackberries. congratulations on your crop of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky you! I love blackberries, too. And I know what you mean about the satisfaction of growing something edible. The first time I did (a tomato) I was so proud of it, that it sat on my window sill and I would gaze at it till it rotted. Dumb idea -- don't do it with the berries! Savor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. On the farm, we picked wild blackberries and ate a good amount before we gave it all to Mom. She made the best blackberry pies.

    How wonderful you have your own berries.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's great that your blackberry bush survived. Enjoy your berries.

    I love blackberries! Actually, I love berries in general... Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries... They're all good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.