Saturday, July 28, 2018

Christmas In July? August?

Don’t worry, I’m not trying to rush Christmas.  I think we’ve established that I love Thanksgiving way too much to ever do that!  I have noticed, however, that I never post very much between Thanksgiving and Christmas, despite my best intentions.

There are a few Christmas posts I’ve wanted to do for years now, and just haven’t gotten around to, so I’ve decided to start writing and scheduling some Christmas related posts now.  It’s part of my plan of doing things this year.

I start my Christmas shopping really early.  In all honesty, I actually had a few Christmas presents for this year purchased before Christmas Day last year.  I’m not sure if that makes me prepared, or a little too obsessed.  When do you start your Christmas shopping? 

So how soon is too soon for Christmas related posts?  A few of them are gift wrapping ideas, and a few DIY gifts that take a little time.  I don’t think they’d be particularly helpful or useful posted a week or two before Christmas. 

 There seems to be a core group of you who regularly read and comment, so it makes the most sense to me to just ask you.  After all, you’re taking valuable time out of your day, so I’d like to make sure it’s a pleasant experience for you.

The main ideas I’m tossing around are:


  • A few, maybe two or three, Christmas posts a week, starting the day after Thanksgiving.  



  • One Christmas post a month starting in August, and probably finishing up around the beginning of December, most likely with a few posts during the first week of December.


I don’t have an exact number of posts yet since I’m in the early stages of writing them.  I’m also not a math person, so probably wouldn’t break it down into exact numbers even if I did.  And I’m certainly open to other scheduling ideas.  Like I said, I’d like for them to be useful. 

So what say you, visitors to my little corner of the blogging world? 

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that's great you pre-buy like you do! I say post what you want when you want. I look forward to reading them and seeing what ideas you will be sharing.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always buy for the next year after Christmas every year. I get the best sales that way. I never over spend at Christmas time as a result and can afford the great sales in January which I never use credit for.

    Whatever you decide in terms of Christmas posts is fine by me Danielle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's fine if you start posting about Christmas after Thanksgiving. As for shopping, we don't really start until December! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh oh, the C-word... I worked in retail for 11 years at the evil toy store (that has now gone out of business--yes, that one), and I *hated* Christmas. Season. It was awful.

    Seasonal hires started in October, but things didn't really ramp up until Thanksgiving.

    As for Christmas shopping--the majority of my gifts have been knit. One year I started that in January. Right now... I'm still finishing up Christmas gifts for last Christmas. I've kinda given up on the holiday lately.

    While I feel it might be too early to start Christmas posts, it isn't too early to schedule them. You could write up a bunch and schedule them to post in November and December.

    But, it won't bother me if you decide to start Christmas stuff now. Perusing Pinterest, the Halloween and Christmas pins are starting to pop up more and more now. So, you won't be alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Christmas is a very low-key affair in our household. There's just me and Jenny here, with my sister and brother-in-law and niece marking Christmas where they live in England. And as you know my mum died in June. Jenny and I just exchange presents and have a special Christmas meal and that's about it. So don't bother with any special Christmas posts for my benefit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's totally up to you. Most of the time I try to keep my Christmas related posts until after Halloween (we don't do Thanksgiving over here, so that's my excuse for not waiting until after it). But I actually had a Christmas themed guest post go up on my blog last week - which you may have seen - because the author of it is from the part of the world where they have two Christmas celebrations so as to benifit from having Christmas in their Winter. I've also been known to read Christmas stories during the Summer. So, who am I to tell you when it's OK to start posting about Christmas? I know most people don't like to think about it until at least October though, hence my usual practice of waiting until after Halloween. Plus, I love Halloween, and don't want to let it get ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say do it when you're ready. Hallmark channel just finished up a whole month of Christmas in July -- and I think a bunch of crafty types will soon be starting their holiday projects. I usually don't do posts till after Thanksgiving or actually, the week before, when we go to the Greens market. But if something sooner works for you, do it for you, not for blog world!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.