Monday, January 22, 2018

The Poinsett Bridge

We enjoyed a rare treat on Saturday.  We had a day that was sunny and relatively warm!  Temperatures reached the mid-fifties, which basically doubled Wednesday’s temperatures, and was a vast improvement over barely getting above freezing the rest of the week. 

We decided to take advantage of the nice day and spend a little time outside.  We’ve been talking about going to the Poinsett Bridge for a while now.  It’s really not terribly far from home, but somehow we had just never made the time to go see it.  In keeping with the plan to actually do things this year, and not just talk about doing things, we decided to go see it on Saturday.  I took Dramamine, we loaded the dogs into the car, and we drove to the bridge. 

The Poinsett Bridge is almost 200 years old, and is thought to be the oldest bridge in South Carolina.  It was built as part of the roadway connecting the low country of South Carolina to the mountains of North Carolina. 

It was a very pretty, very curvy drive to the bridge.  If you have plans to go see the Poinsett Bridge, and have any issues with motion sickness, you’ll want to take Dramamine or whatever you usually do to keep from getting sick. 

The bridge is part of the Greenville County Parks system, so it’s well marked, there’s plenty of parking (across the road from the bridge), and there are a few walking trails around.

There was still some snow on the ground when we went, and everything was very muddy.  We didn’t think about the mud when we decided to go.  I’d like to go back sometime when it’s dry, and when there are leaves on the tress.  I think it would be even more beautiful then.

I didn’t actually take any pictures on the bridge.  It was really muddy, and I didn’t want to traipse through the mud.  In all honesty, too, I think the bridge is much more impressive viewed from below than from on top or walking across it. 

The creek is very pretty, and the moss and ferns were incredibly vibrant against everything else that’s still so colorless.  I always seem to be drawn to water and greenery, so that’s what most of my pictures are of.

I’m glad we saw the bridge.  We both enjoy history, and it was neat to see how people used to travel back and forth between our two home states.




Can you tell I liked the moss?








This made me so happy!  It looks like spring is coming, despite the snow.

9 comments:

  1. your excursion to the bridge sounds nice. and those signs of spring, a welcome sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a great place to visit each season, Danielle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a wonderful day for a roadtrip (despite the mud) and oh! To see spring signs! What joy! It really is beautiful and I love all your photos. The drive sounds lovely too (but then, I don't have to deal with the dramamine!)

    Thanks for coming by the Gypsy. Yes, that chicken dish DOES look like a dessert! Very easy and easy to sub out veggies if you don't have (or like) everything in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great place to explore on a warm winter day! Love that arched opening in the bridge. Looks like it could be part of a castle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you had some nice weather and could enjoy an outing that made you so happy.

    P.S. I'm not sure if you pop back to check replies to your comments on my blog, or get them to come to you by eMail, or whatever, but if you don't, can you make sure to do so today, because I asked you something in response to the comment you left in today's post, and I'd like to know your answer. If you do get the comments come by eMail, please don't reply to the eMail, since it keeps putting me as a "no reply blogger" even though my eMail address is visible, so I don't get the replies. Either reply in the comments of the post, or eMail me at keroberous2004@gmail.com - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like it was a nice outing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the shape of the opening on the under part of the bridge. Very pretty. Looks like is was a nice day to get out and get around looking at stuff..

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a nice walk you had there. I love that you explored something in your area. I see you're an Outlander fan. I think I would like the show more than the books. One fellow knitter went to Comic Com in San Diego, CA and went to the Outlander forum. The guys were hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great glimpse of South Carolina history. It looks like a beautiful place, and we bet it will be amazing in the spring (and fall)! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.