Friday, January 19, 2018

Dream A Little

We almost never buy lottery tickets.  I think we maybe average buying one every year or two.  Nick isn’t usually inclined to do anything that’s so likely to be a waste of money.  Lottery tickets are mostly sold at gas stations, and I barely put gas in the car, so I rarely think about or have the opportunity to buy a ticket.  Every now and then we’ll buy one, though.  It’s fun to dream, right?

Nick’s dad almost always gives everyone a lottery ticket or two at Christmas or birthdays.  It’s kind of a fun little bonus gift.  It’s fun to think about what you could do if you actually won.

This past Christmas Paul gave us each a lottery ticket, as usual.  Neither of us won anything, but we did spend a little time thinking about what our winning the lottery fantasies are, of course the winning millions and millions kind of fantasies. 

There are things we would do to help out our families and a few good friends.  We’d like to travel.  Neither one of us have really been anywhere, so travel would be high on our list.  Of course quitting our jobs, with an appropriate notice.  That would  free up a lot of time, and we wouldn’t spend all of our time traveling, so we’d have a lot more time to volunteer.  Nick would probably spend more time volunteering with the fire department.  I could spend a lot more time cooking and taking food to the hospice house.  We would donate to various cat rescues, and a few other causes that are very near and dear to us. 

We both agree that we wouldn’t want to move.  Our house is small, but we like it, and are happy here.  We also have the best neighbors in the entire world.  We’ve often said that if we won the lottery we’d be far better off to give some of it to the neighbors to do whatever they needed or wanted with their house, in hopes that they’d never move.  They’re really that great.  There are certainly things we would do to fix up our house, and buying some of the land around it and putting in a pool sounds nice.  Really nice, actually.  Moving to some huge house in a strange neighborhood doesn’t.   

I’m not sure if our list makes us the most boring people in the world, or just really practical, and fortunate enough to know what we would want.  Either way, it’s fun to dream a little every time Paul gives us a lottery ticket.

So what about you?  Do you buy lottery tickets often?  What’s your winning the lottery fantasy?

12 comments:

  1. We buy a ticket when the jackpot goes to 50 million, so a few times a year. I would share the money with family and give to charities. I can’t think of a thing I’d want or do differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't buy lottery tickets. Agree with your husband, don't like to "throw money away." :-)

    Your ideas are wise and not boring.

    I think winning a lot of money, could bring more problems with it, than fun. Like... All the *distant relatives* and some-time-friends, who would "come-out-of-the-woodwork"... Wanting some of it! -grin-

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your list. It shows you're happy with how your life is for the most part, and also that you're very generous and loving people.

    I don't do the lottery very often. I used to do it every week, but now just do it from time to time randomly when the urge to do so takes me (which is maybe every couple of years). If we had that kind of money though, we'd buy a house or apartment (we currently rent) and make sure it's decorated and furnished how we want it. It would be in the same general area we live in now, but probably not this actual building (even if the landlords would sell this one, we're not sure we'd buy it). There are also a few people we'd like to help out a little, and a couple of charities I'd want to donate a bit of money to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It just means that you've established a happy life. You're content with where you're at. And isn't that the ultimate goal, anyway? You're a success, and you don't need money to be that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would only want to win enough to enjoy the freedom money gives you, but not so much to become a prisoner to a new fortunes as so often happens to people unprepared for vast riches. Winning big often ruins lives of lottery winners.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you I don't normally purchase those...since the lottery came about in TN I have probably only bought 5 tickets. That was in 2010. I know it funds Higher Ed but I also have to think about funding food in my house so I don't buy them...haha. But my dreams would be to finish up projects I have started but to have it hired and DONE!!! It takes me forever to get things done. I would stay here, although I have two stories and I could really use one story, I am happy here. I would keep my car but maybe purchase a small truck since I always find myself wanting and needing to haul something. I would give money to my kids and probably travel some. And if I keep on dreaming right now I could spend it all...haha. Now I want to go out and buy a ticket to see if I can win something!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely name you have, Danielle. I think it's cute how you get lottery tickets from your FIL. When I used to have to bring a gift for the White Elephant game, I'd buy scratch offs. I think my dream would be to pay off our home, cover college for my two dames, give money to my parents and my brother, and to travel wherever we wanted. Maybe I'd get the husband to have a second addition to our house so I can have my own craft room and not wait for one child to go to college, LOL.
    Thank you for commenting on my Flax. I'm trying to stay away from wearing so much black which I did a lot in the city. I usually try to go for neutrals with a pop of color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We rarely buy lottery tickets, but when we do, our list is very similar to yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My hubby buy them pretty regularly, he wins $20 often but I think out big win was $50 lol. I think we'd do much the same, help family, travel, new vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Typos....sorry. They bother me but I had already sent the comment.

      Delete
  10. Oh, I laughed because if you're the most boring people in the world, I'm right there with you. For years, driving to work, I passed by the lottery billboard with staggering numbers. Now, I don't buy lottery tickets either, but it didn't stop me from thinking about what I would do if I won. After quitting work (or asking for a raise!) I thought I would do three things: donate more to organizations I support; like you, not sell the house, just make some changes and finally, travel a little more. Rick asked why I wouldn't replace my 2001 Toyota Corolla that's been beaten and badgered and I said it still had another 50,000 miles in it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.