Saturday, March 23, 2024

A Few Random Things

I keep meaning to do a Thursday 13 post to catch up on a few random things, but that hasn’t happened.  So, here’s a random catch-up post. 

Our hyacinths have bloomed!  I planted them a few years ago, and I don’t always have the best luck with bulbs, so it always makes me very happy to see them bloom.


The daffodils have also bloomed.  We didn’t plant these, but there are tons of them.  Fortunately, whoever did plant them has much better luck than I do with bulbs.


I love it when everything starts blooming!  We’re not beyond the possibility of more cold weather, or even snow, yet, but it definitely feels like we’re getting closer to enjoying warm weather every day.  We’ve even had a few days of perfect hammock weather.  I absolutely love spending part of a gorgeous day reading in the hammock.

Last weekend, Nick and I did a paint-and-sip event in Greenville, SC.  We have wanted to do one for a long time, but the timing has never worked out.  Lately, we’ve been trying to plan our weekends ahead of time, so we were finally able to find one with a painting we liked and get reservations for it.  It was so much fun! 

I’m not sure how much it varies from state to state based on liquor laws, but at this one, you bring your own beverage (I’m not positive, but I think it had to be beer or wine, not hard liquor), and the venue provides cups and napkins.   The event we did was adults (18 and over) only, and anyone drinking had to be 21.  Most people brought beer and/or wine in a cooler.  We opted for non-alcoholic drinks.  I love the mango sweet tea from Quick Trip, and we don’t have one near us, so I always get that whenever we’re near a Quick Trip.  You can also bring snacks, but I don’t see how you would have time for snacks.  I also kept getting paint all over my hands, so it would have been a pain to try and eat like that.

It's assigned seating (you’re supposed to let them know how many people are in your group when you make your reservation).  The easels, canvas, brushes, and paint are all set up, with a nametag and a picture of what the painting is supposed to look like.


Then they guide you through the whole thing.  This was a couple’s picture, so each person painted one half of it on their canvas, and they’d tell you when you needed to line certain parts of it up. 

You had to mix some of the colors, but they walked you through how to do that.  Then you had to dry the painting with a hairdryer before you put the leaves on the tree.

I’m almost as messy when I paint as I am when I cook!  It’s a good thing we didn’t bring snacks because I probably would have gotten paint on them. 

Here’s our finished painting hanging on our living room wall. 

I think it’s safe to say that neither one of us has a future as an artist!  But we’re both fairly happy with how our painting turned out, and it was a lot of fun.  We definitely want to do another one sometime.

We opted to go to Greenville in time for an early dinner and ate at Pita House.  The food is amazing!  I had the kibbi and grape leaves plate, and a pistachio baklava.  Everything was so good!  It’s right across the street from the main campus of Greenville Technical College, which is where I went for my Associate’s Degree, so it’s always a little nostalgic to go there. 


Lastly, I finally updated my Blogger profile and profile picture.  We were dressed up for something a few weeks ago, and I remembered to take a picture, so I used that one.  The last one was from 2007 when I had short hair and sometimes wore contacts instead of glasses.  I decided it was time for an update since I have longer hair, haven’t worn contacts since 2008, and am definitely not thirty-something anymore. 

So what have you been up to lately?  Does it look like spring for you yet?  

8 comments:

  1. Your new Blooger profile profile is awesome, Danielle! Goodjob thinking to take it while you were dressed up. :)

    That paint and sip sounds like fun, and it's nice you and Nick have the painting hanging to reminde youof the experience. Oh, and hooray for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed your new profile picture and I love it! You look so cute! I always enjoy your posts, Danielle. I've never heard of a couple do a painting together like that at a Paint & Sip (though I've never actually been to one). I really like the colors in your painting and I think you guys did an excellent job. I love kibbi, too! It has such a good flavor. Our daffodils and some hyacinth have bloomed, but we've had snow the past week, so all the flowers are laying on the ground. Sad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job on the painting. Much better than I could do. I would love to try something like that as the one time I tried painting, I couldn't do it because I didn't know what to paint.

    (You can always write the Thursday 13 when you think of it and schedule it for the closest upcoming Thursday...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an interesting idea of each person doing half of a painting. I'm not sure I could get my husband to do something like that, but it looks like fun. The hyacinths and daffodils are very pretty. Once daffodils get established they will bloom for years - unless there's too much shade. We have some that I'm sure were in the sun when they were planted, but are now in the shade and they are very poor bloomers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great couple’s experience. Hanging the result in your living room is a nice reminder of the fun time. I wouldn’t drink either unless I was taking public transportation home.

    I love your new photo, pretty woman!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the new photo and your "date night" sounds fabulous! I think you are right - how could you eat and paint? I can see myself painting a cracker while sipping the paint water, lol. I think you two did a marvelous job with the painting! And then your dinner - so scrumptious. What a successful night out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the new photo... and before I forget you tickled me to death with your comment about time in my blog.... Military time. Loved it. OOXX So enjoyed the blog and the photos of the bulbs that bloomed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the new photo, too! It's warm and welcoming and fun. Your evening sounds like a wonderful time, Danielle. I like the painting and the dinner looked terrific too. What a fun idea. I hope if you do it again you'll share!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! Please leave your link so I can visit you as well.